New Version of the NTP Installer for Windows (4.2.4p5) - NTP

This is a discussion on New Version of the NTP Installer for Windows (4.2.4p5) - NTP ; Hi everybody! The NTP Public Services Project recently announced the release of ntp-4.2.4p5 and after two weeks of testing I am happy to be able to announce an updated Windows Installer version (nicknamed "beijing" due to the 2008 Olympic Games) ...

  1. New Version of the NTP Installer for Windows (4.2.4p5)

    Hi everybody!

    The NTP Public Services Project recently announced the release of ntp-4.2.4p5
    and after two weeks of testing I am happy to be able to announce an updated
    Windows Installer version (nicknamed "beijing" due to the 2008 Olympic Games)
    including this version and a few minor improvements for the installer itself.

    The new NTP version has been declared a recommended upgrade for Windows and
    comes with some great improvements of the network interface handling code. If
    you run NTP on a Windows laptop or on a machine that deals with network
    interface changes (e.g. IP address changes or appearing and disappearing
    interfaces), you should give it a try.

    This version handles delayed initialization of network interfaces gracefully, if
    your NTP service is starting before your network interface(s) could have been
    initialized properly, NTPD will add these interfaces as soon as they are ready
    and retries name resolution for configured server and peer entries until it
    finally found out the corresponding IP addresses. The installer uses a 3 seconds
    update interval for the network interfaces, i.e. it scans for new interfaces
    every 3 seconds. During our tests we have seen no significant performance
    penalty for this and therefore the installer will setup the NTP service with a
    "-U 3" command line switch.

    If you want to use this new feature, you should not use the "Update Binaries"
    functionality of the installer: If it detects an already installed version, it
    will ask you whether it should only update the binaries. Please answer "no" and
    afterwards confirm that the current version should be uninstalled first before
    it finally installs the new version. Your configuration files will not be
    touched, of course.

    Another important bugfix allows Windows NT users to use this version as well, no
    need to stick with an outdated NTP version anymore.

    4.2.4p5 will now honor command line parameters you have entered in the SCM
    management console.

    All in all IMHO this is a great version especially for Windows users, so please
    check it out!

    Our tests with Vista still show suboptimal synchronization performance, we were
    able to improve this by using faster polling intervals but this is obviously
    only a valid approach if you use your own internal NTP servers and should not be
    applied to clients using public NTP servers or the pool.

    As always: We are happy to receive feedback and comments from everybody using
    our installer and offer free email support (ntp-support@meinberg.de).

    The installer itself and our free Time Server Monitor application can be
    downloaded from our NTP download page at

    http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

    If you are located in the US, please use our US Mirror:

    http://www.meinberg-usa.com/ntp-software.php

    Cheers,
    Heiko

  2. Re: New Version of the NTP Installer for Windows (4.2.4p5)

    Heiko Gerstung wrote:
    > Hi everybody!
    >
    > The NTP Public Services Project recently announced the release of
    > ntp-4.2.4p5 and after two weeks of testing I am happy to be able to
    > announce an updated Windows Installer version (nicknamed "beijing"
    > due to the 2008 Olympic Games) including this version and a few minor
    > improvements for the installer itself.

    []
    > Cheers,
    > Heiko

    Heiko,

    I have that version running on three PCs here - one Windows 2000, one XP
    Home, and one Vista Ultimate. Unfortunately the PSU in my NT machine
    died, so I no longer have NT switched on anywhere!

    See Bacchus, Gemini and Hydra here:

    http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/daily_ntp.html

    I expect the performance will remain unchanged as these are all syncing to
    my local GPS-locked stratum 1 server.

    Pity about Vista.

    Many thanks for making this update available.

    Cheers,
    David

  3. Re: New Version of the NTP Installer for Windows (4.2.4p5)

    David J Taylor schrieb:
    > Heiko Gerstung wrote:
    >> Hi everybody!
    >>
    >> The NTP Public Services Project recently announced the release of
    >> ntp-4.2.4p5 and after two weeks of testing I am happy to be able to
    >> announce an updated Windows Installer version (nicknamed "beijing"
    >> due to the 2008 Olympic Games) including this version and a few minor
    >> improvements for the installer itself.

    > []
    >> Cheers,
    >> Heiko

    > Heiko,
    >
    > I have that version running on three PCs here - one Windows 2000, one XP
    > Home, and one Vista Ultimate. Unfortunately the PSU in my NT machine
    > died, so I no longer have NT switched on anywhere!

    I am sure there are some NT users "out there" who are willing to test
    this release.

    > See Bacchus, Gemini and Hydra here:
    >
    > http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/daily_ntp.html

    Looks fine so far IMHO. Vista is really a PITA for timing. Did you try
    to switch off the Multimedia Timer stuff (remove the -M switch from the
    NTPD command line)? This seems to have helped until some other
    application turns it on (like Quicktime or some multimedia content stuff
    on a web page you look at with IE) ...

    > I expect the performance will remain unchanged as these are all syncing to
    > my local GPS-locked stratum 1 server.

    Right, as far as I can tell the performance-related parts of ntpd have
    not been touched between 4.2.4p4 and 4.2.4p5.

    > Pity about Vista.

    Yes, let's hope for SP2 ... I really would like to get in touch with
    someone at MS who is responsible for the timing stuff in Vista's kernel.

    > Many thanks for making this update available.

    Thanks for testing, please keep the feedback coming!

    Cheers,
    Heiko

  4. Re: New Version of the NTP Installer for Windows (4.2.4p5)

    Heiko Gerstung wrote:
    > David J Taylor schrieb:

    []
    >> See Bacchus, Gemini and Hydra here:
    >>
    >> http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/daily_ntp.html

    > Looks fine so far IMHO. Vista is really a PITA for timing. Did you try
    > to switch off the Multimedia Timer stuff (remove the -M switch from
    > the NTPD command line)? This seems to have helped until some other
    > application turns it on (like Quicktime or some multimedia content
    > stuff on a web page you look at with IE) ...

    []
    > Thanks for testing, please keep the feedback coming!
    >

    > Cheers,
    > Heiko

    Heiko,

    I have just restarted NTP on the Vista system without the MMtimer option
    set. I wanted to write a small program to check whether the MMtimer was
    running - do you happen to know and, if so, could you please remind me how
    to do that?

    No rpoblems so far.

    Cheers,
    David

  5. Re: New Version of the NTP Installer for Windows (4.2.4p5)

    David,

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > I have just restarted NTP on the Vista system without the MMtimer option
    > set. I wanted to write a small program to check whether the MMtimer was
    > running - do you happen to know and, if so, could you please remind me how
    > to do that?

    AFAIK there is no way to find out whether the MM timer has been set to some
    higher resolution by some other program.

    An applications even needs to remember whether it self has set the MM timer
    to higher resolution, and in this case the application must set the MM
    timer back to default resolution when it terminates.

    Regards,

    Martin
    --
    Martin Burnicki