Re: Root server list - NTP

This is a discussion on Re: Root server list - NTP ; Scott Baker wrote: > Peter Laws wrote: >> Scott Baker wrote: > So I should be updating my root.hints file periodically? I never thought > about it, the root servers are so permanent. They're not permanent (not so long ago, ...

  1. Re: Root server list

    Scott Baker wrote:
    > Peter Laws wrote:
    >> Scott Baker wrote:

    > So I should be updating my root.hints file periodically? I never thought
    > about it, the root servers are so permanent.

    They're not permanent (not so long ago, they all had different names
    instead of root-servers.net) so yes, you do need to keep it up to date.

    ; This file holds the information on root name servers needed to
    ; initialize cache of Internet domain name servers
    ; (e.g. reference this file in the "cache . "
    ; configuration file of BIND domain name servers).
    ;
    ; This file is made available by InterNIC
    ; under anonymous FTP as
    ; file /domain/named.root
    ; on server FTP.INTERNIC.NET
    ; -OR- RS.INTERNIC.NET
    ;
    ; last update: Feb 04, 2008
    ; related version of root zone: 2008020400
    ;
    ; formerly NS.INTERNIC.NET
    ;

    --
    Peter Laws / N5UWY
    plaws@ou.edu

  2. Re: Root server list

    Peter Laws wrote:
    > Scott Baker wrote:
    >> Peter Laws wrote:
    >>> Scott Baker wrote:

    >> So I should be updating my root.hints file periodically? I never thought
    >> about it, the root servers are so permanent.

    NTP, BIND, whatever ...

    --
    Peter Laws / N5UWY
    plaws@ou.edu