ntpd with asymetric keys - NTP

This is a discussion on ntpd with asymetric keys - NTP ; Hi again, I discovered strange behavior when using ntpd with asymetric keys and IFF scheme. I have server and client configured as below: client: crypto pw 130 ident IFF enable auth keysdir /etc/ntp server 192.168.1.200 autokey minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 ...

  1. ntpd with asymetric keys

    Hi again,
    I discovered strange behavior when using ntpd with asymetric keys and
    IFF scheme. I have server and client configured as below:

    client:
    crypto pw 130 ident IFF
    enable auth
    keysdir /etc/ntp
    server 192.168.1.200 autokey minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 noselect

    server:
    enable auth
    crypto pw 140 randfile /root/.rnd
    restrict 192.168.1.210 notrust
    keysdir /etc/ntp

    After a few days working correctly I've noticed today something like
    that in ntpq on the client:

    remote refid st t when poll reach
    delay offset jitter
    192.168.1.200 .CRYP. 16 u 11h 16 0 0.000
    0.000 0.000

    The interesting thing is that after restarting ntpd on client everything
    works correctly again. I didn't change any configuration of ntp or keys,
    it was just working for a few days continuously.

    Did anyone saw something like that before ?

    Thank you,
    best regards,
    Grzegorz Daniluk

  2. Re: ntpd with asymetric keys

    Grzegorz,

    Notice the reference ID is CRYP. See the filegen command and the
    cryptostats file. If not, see the system log file.

    Dave

    Grzegorz Daniluk wrote:

    > Hi again,
    > I discovered strange behavior when using ntpd with asymetric keys and
    > IFF scheme. I have server and client configured as below:
    >
    > client:
    > crypto pw 130 ident IFF
    > enable auth
    > keysdir /etc/ntp
    > server 192.168.1.200 autokey minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 noselect
    >
    > server:
    > enable auth
    > crypto pw 140 randfile /root/.rnd
    > restrict 192.168.1.210 notrust
    > keysdir /etc/ntp
    >
    > After a few days working correctly I've noticed today something like
    > that in ntpq on the client:
    >

    > remote refid st t when poll reach
    > delay offset jitter
    > ================================================== ========
    > 192.168.1.200 .CRYP. 16 u 11h 16 0 0.000
    > 0.000 0.000
    >

    > The interesting thing is that after restarting ntpd on client everything
    > works correctly again. I didn't change any configuration of ntp or keys,
    > it was just working for a few days continuously.
    >
    > Did anyone saw something like that before ?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > best regards,
    > Grzegorz Daniluk

+ Reply to Thread