Sunfire X2100 and FreeBSD - NTP

This is a discussion on Sunfire X2100 and FreeBSD - NTP ; Hello, I am trying to use a Sunfire X2100 system as a time server using FreeBSD 6.2. The system clock steps by tens of microseconds every few minutes with no time software running. I have not seen this on other ...

  1. Sunfire X2100 and FreeBSD

    Hello,
    I am trying to use a Sunfire X2100 system as a time server using
    FreeBSD 6.2. The system clock steps by tens of microseconds every few
    minutes with no time software running. I have not seen this on other
    non-Sun systems with the identical version of FreeBSD. Is this a
    feature of the Sun hardware? If yes, can it be turned off? Otherwise
    the time steps will confuse the synchronization process.

    Thanks.

    Judah Levine
    Time and Frequency Division
    NIST Boulder

  2. Re: Sunfire X2100 and FreeBSD

    jlevine wrote:
    > I am trying to use a Sunfire X2100 system as a time server using
    > FreeBSD 6.2. The system clock steps by tens of microseconds every few
    > minutes with no time software running. I have not seen this on other
    > non-Sun systems with the identical version of FreeBSD. Is this a
    > feature of the Sun hardware? If yes, can it be turned off? Otherwise
    > the time steps will confuse the synchronization process.

    IIRC the x2100 is an Opteron-based system. Is the one you have using
    dual-core Opterons? ISTR some issues with the TSC (?) in those things
    when part of the chip would slow-down, but not other parts and that it
    confused things wrt time.

    rick jones