ntpdate with auth - NTP

This is a discussion on ntpdate with auth - NTP ; Grzegorz, Be advised the ntpdc program has long ago fallen in disrepair and is not to be maintained further. In particular, the feature to add, remove and modify remote associations is not consistent with current manycast and pool autoconfigure provisions. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: ntpdate with auth

    Grzegorz,

    Be advised the ntpdc program has long ago fallen in disrepair and is not
    to be maintained further. In particular, the feature to add, remove and
    modify remote associations is not consistent with current manycast and
    pool autoconfigure provisions. The ntpq program is intended as
    replacement in that it can do anything that the configuration file
    supports. This feature, while still incomplete, is documented in the web
    documentation and in the development version.

    Dave

    Grzegorz Daniluk wrote:

    > Steve Kostecke wrote:
    >
    >>You can include reference time sources in your ntp.conf
    >>
    >>The syntax is:
    >>
    >>server your.reference.server noselect
    >>

    > Thank you very much, that is exactly what I was looking for.
    > Now I have another question. I would like to change the poll interval
    > for those 'noselect' hosts so I figured out that I'll use ntpdc. Then I
    > realized that the 'addserver' option doesn't support 'noselect'. I tried
    > to add that flag so I did something like that in ntpdc_ops.c:
    >
    > /while (pcmd->nargs > items) {
    > if (STREQ(pcmd->argval[items].string, "prefer"))
    > flags |= CONF_FLAG_PREFER;
    > else if (STREQ(pcmd->argval[items].string, "burst"))
    > flags |= CONF_FLAG_BURST;
    > else if (STREQ(pcmd->argval[items].string, "dynamic"))
    > flags |= CONF_FLAG_DYNAMIC;
    > /*///////////*/
    > else if (STREQ(pcmd->argval[items].string, "noselect"))
    > flags |= CONF_FLAG_NOSELECT;
    > /*///////////*/
    > else if (STREQ(pcmd->argval[items].string, "iburst"))
    > flags |= CONF_FLAG_IBURST;
    > else if (!refc && STREQ(pcmd->argval[items].string,
    > "keyid"))
    > numtyp = 1;
    > else if (!refc && STREQ(pcmd->argval[items].string,
    > "version"))
    > numtyp = 2;
    > else if (STREQ(pcmd->argval[items].string, "minpoll"))
    > numtyp = 3;
    > else if (STREQ(pcmd->argval[items].string, "maxpoll"))
    > numtyp = 4;
    >
    > /but when I tried to use my new ntpdc with noselect option I got
    > following errors:
    >
    > ***Warning changing to older implementation
    > ***Warning changing the request packet size from 160 to 48
    > ***Server reports a format error in the received packet (shouldn't happen)
    > ***Retrying command with old conf_peer size
    > ***Server reports a format error in the received packet (shouldn't happen)
    >
    > The other flags works perfect, I got these messages only with noselect.
    > So maybe I also need to add some code to ntpd so that it would
    > understand a message with noselect flag ? I'm still not very familiar
    > with ntpd code so maybe somebody tried to do that before or have any
    > idea what's wrong and how to fix it ?
    >
    > thank you very much for all your help
    >
    > Grzegorz Daniluk

  2. Re: ntpdate with auth

    lin_g@o2.pl (Grzegorz Daniluk) writes:

    >Steve Kostecke pisze:
    >> On 2008-07-23, Grzegorz Daniluk wrote:
    >> You're complicating matters by using ntpdc.
    >>
    >> Just edit the server lines in ntpd.conf and restart ntpd. If you're
    >> using iburst on the other server lines ntpd will be ready to answer
    >> polls about 15 seconds after a warm restart.
    >>
    >> maxpoll 4 == 16 seconds
    >> maxpoll 5 == 32 seconds
    >> maxpoll 6 == 64 seconds
    >>
    >> and so on
    >>

    >Helo,
    >I know that I can do it by editing ntp.conf and restarting ntpd, I also
    >know what the numbers next to 'maxpoll' mean but thank you of course
    >for advice. My problem is that I don't want to restart ntpd because I
    >need that deamon to be a time server too (it has few time sources
    >without 'noselect' option). That's why I'm trying to use ntpdc and its
    >'addserver' option. My problem is that when I'm using it I can't add
    >server with 'noselect' option which I need very much. Or maybe there is
    >another way to change maxpoll with ntpdc instead of using 'addserver'.

    This is a critical server and you want to be putzing around with it while
    it is acting as a server? Why? What are you trying to accomplish?

    Note as stated it takes only a few seconds to stop and restart ntp. None of
    your clients are even going to notice. If one happens to send a query just
    while ntp is down, it will try again.

    Since the remote machine does not mind, just run the noselect
    constantly.

    >Grzegorz Daniluk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2