Utility to measure time drift - NTP

This is a discussion on Utility to measure time drift - NTP ; I'm looking for a utility like clockdiff(8) to measure the time delta between different machines. The utility itself should run on Windows, but the machines under investigation are running Linux. Thanks, Jan...

  1. Utility to measure time drift

    I'm looking for a utility like clockdiff(8) to measure the time delta
    between different machines. The utility itself should run on Windows, but
    the machines under investigation are running Linux.

    Thanks,

    Jan

  2. Re: Utility to measure time drift

    "jkvbe" wrote in message

    > I'm looking for a utility like clockdiff(8) to measure the time
    > delta between different machines. The utility itself should run on
    > Windows, but the machines under investigation are running Linux.

    The usual approach is to set up a machine that has all the machines
    under scrutiny as servers in its NTP configuration, possibly all
    marked noselect - I'm not sure about that bit.

    Ntpq -p will then tell you the offset to them all, relative to a
    single base (the monitoring server's own notion of time).

    Note that this is subject to all the vagaries of normal NTP life.
    If the DSL connection to one server is heavily overloaded, the
    offset will reflect that.

    Groetjes,
    Maarten Wiltink

  3. Re: Utility to measure time drift

    On 2008-07-02, Maarten Wiltink wrote:
    > "jkvbe" wrote in message
    >
    >> I'm looking for a utility like clockdiff(8) to measure the time
    >> delta between different machines. The utility itself should run on
    >> Windows, but the machines under investigation are running Linux.

    > The usual approach is to set up a machine that has all the machines
    > under scrutiny as servers in its NTP configuration, possibly all
    > marked noselect - I'm not sure about that bit.

    noselect is correct. As in:

    server something_you_are_monitoring noselect

    > Ntpq -p will then tell you the offset to them all, relative to a
    > single base (the monitoring server's own notion of time).

    ntpq -p is just a snapshot

    Enable peerstats logging you to collect long term data for analysis.

    > Note that this is subject to all the vagaries of normal NTP life.
    > If the DSL connection to one server is heavily overloaded, the
    > offset will reflect that.

    The time delta between the machines under test will. of course, be
    affected by network conditions between them and the monitor and their
    time sources.

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  4. Re: Utility to measure time drift

    jkvbe wrote:
    > I'm looking for a utility like clockdiff(8) to measure the time delta
    > between different machines. The utility itself should run on Windows,
    > but the machines under investigation are running Linux.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jan

    Would something like my NTP Monitor do:

    http://www.satsignal.eu/software/net.htm#NTPmonitor