How to get uclibc style timezone string (e.g GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00)from javascript - NTP

This is a discussion on How to get uclibc style timezone string (e.g GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00)from javascript - NTP ; I am trying to get client machine's timezone from my java script . But i have no idea how would i be able to get it in uclibc format. (e.g. GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00) . I saw couple of posting on net which ...

  1. How to get uclibc style timezone string (e.g GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00)from javascript

    I am trying to get client machine's timezone from my java script . But
    i have no idea how would i be able to get it in uclibc format. (e.g.
    GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00) . I saw couple of posting
    on net which suggest getTimezoneoffset or may be calculation with
    dates from script gives correct offset including day light saving
    time but i am not sure how correct this is. Again even if its
    correct , its not telling me when (exact date and time )day light
    saving adjustment starts and ends which is last part of /etc/TZ
    string, Is there a way to get this from java script.

    -- Rohit

  2. Re: [OT] How to get uclibc style timezone string (e.g GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00)from javascript

    Rohit wrote:
    > I am trying to get client machine's timezone from my java script . But

    This is off topic.

    Do you mean EcmaScript + old Netscape DOM, or do you mean Java. I'm
    pretty certain that the former cannot provide the necessary information
    without calling out to native objects, and I'm not sure that latter can.

    > i have no idea how would i be able to get it in uclibc format. (e.g.
    > GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00) . I saw couple of posting

    Whether you can even do this, and if so whether the result will be valid
    beyond the Autumn, depends on your operating system and country.

    > on net which suggest getTimezoneoffset or may be calculation with
    > dates from script gives correct offset including day light saving
    > time but i am not sure how correct this is. Again even if its
    > correct , its not telling me when (exact date and time )day light
    > saving adjustment starts and ends which is last part of /etc/TZ
    > string, Is there a way to get this from java script.

    I'm having difficulty thinking of a real world reason why you would want
    to do this. All the uses I can think of involve shelling out.

    Note that this format is a legacy format, and the average Linux system
    (you posted from Linux) has a richer description of the rules.

  3. Re: [OT] How to get uclibc style timezone string (e.g GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00) from javascript

    David,

    David Woolley wrote:
    > Rohit wrote:

    [...]
    >> Again even if its
    >> correct , its not telling me when (exact date and time )day light
    >> saving adjustment starts and ends which is last part of /etc/TZ
    >> string, Is there a way to get this from java script.

    > I'm having difficulty thinking of a real world reason why you would want
    > to do this. All the uses I can think of involve shelling out.

    The best reason I can think of is to check in advance whether the local time
    will swich to and back from DST at the correct points in time, so you won't
    get a bad surprise when it doesn't happen.

    E.g. when the U.S. rules for DST were changed then users would also have
    liked to know whether their OS had already been updated to the new rules
    and thus would switch correctly, or not. Unfortunately e.g. under Windows
    you can't either check *when* DST would start and end, you could just check
    the rules coded in the registry and try to interpret them correctly.

    > Note that this format is a legacy format, and the average Linux system
    > (you posted from Linux) has a richer description of the rules.

    uclibc is an implementation of the standard C library optimized for embedded
    systems, i.e. it does not require as much resources as the "full" standard
    C library. I haven't worked with it, though.

    The Olson time zone files contain also the history of DST rules, i.e. they
    can convert UTC time to local time correctly for years ago. If you just
    want some local time for current and future years then the legacy rules may
    be sufficient, and using the Olson libs in an embedded system may be
    overkill.

    If the OP's requirement is to check whether the uclibc functions would
    switch to and back from DST at the right points of time then he could write
    a little script or program that increments a UTC time stamp e.g. over a
    year, let that time be converted to local time and see if the local time
    handles DST correctly.

    Martin
    --
    Martin Burnicki

    Meinberg Funkuhren
    Bad Pyrmont
    Germany

  4. Re: [OT] How to get uclibc style timezone string (e.g GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00)from javascript

    Martin Burnicki wrote:

    > The best reason I can think of is to check in advance whether the local time
    > will swich to and back from DST at the correct points in time, so you won't
    > get a bad surprise when it doesn't happen.

    But you want a human friendly format for that.

    > If the OP's requirement is to check whether the uclibc functions would
    > switch to and back from DST at the right points of time then he could write

    My concern was that the requirement wws too artificial and it might be
    homework. However, it doesn't read to me as though this is about
    checking the behaviour, but about generating the rules on the assumption
    that the behaviour will be correct.

    > a little script or program that increments a UTC time stamp e.g. over a
    > year, let that time be converted to local time and see if the local time

    I did think of this, but really wanted to be sure the requirement was
    legitimate and the best solution first. Note this has to be done over
    the period for which you want the rule to be valid, e..g., for Pakistan,
    a rule generated for this year will not work for last year and it is
    anyone's guess as to whether it will work for next year. The OS may
    also give the wrong behaviour for years other than the current one.

    I would say the best way of doing this automatically would be to have
    the code read the source version of the Olson database, as testing dates
    over a single year cannot necessarily distinguish between week 4 and
    week 5 type rules, etc. The rules may have been different for the
    previous year.

    The best way of doing it is probably to ask the user for the
    information, or even the complete string.

    > handles DST correctly.

  5. Re: [OT] How to get uclibc style timezone string (e.g GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00) from javascript

    David Woolley wrote:
    > Martin Burnicki wrote:
    >>
    >> The best reason I can think of is to check in advance whether the local
    >> time will swich to and back from DST at the correct points in time, so
    >> you won't get a bad surprise when it doesn't happen.

    > But you want a human friendly format for that.
    >>
    >> If the OP's requirement is to check whether the uclibc functions would
    >> switch to and back from DST at the right points of time then he could
    >> write

    > My concern was that the requirement wws too artificial and it might be
    > homework. However, it doesn't read to me as though this is about
    > checking the behaviour, but about generating the rules on the assumption
    > that the behaviour will be correct.

    Agreed, the subject suggests you are right.

    >> a little script or program that increments a UTC time stamp e.g. over a
    >> year, let that time be converted to local time and see if the local time

    > I did think of this, but really wanted to be sure the requirement was
    > legitimate and the best solution first. Note this has to be done over
    > the period for which you want the rule to be valid, e..g., for Pakistan,
    > a rule generated for this year will not work for last year and it is
    > anyone's guess as to whether it will work for next year. The OS may
    > also give the wrong behaviour for years other than the current one.

    Also agreed basically. However, if we're talking about an embedded system
    the question is in which countries it is sold.
    Also, even if the Olson libs are being used, the rules for Pakestan became
    invalid and the libs had to be updated if Pakistan changed the rules in the
    future. The time zone string had to be updated similarly if the rules
    changed.

    > I would say the best way of doing this automatically would be to have
    > the code read the source version of the Olson database, as testing dates
    > over a single year cannot necessarily distinguish between week 4 and
    > week 5 type rules, etc. The rules may have been different for the
    > previous year.
    >
    > The best way of doing it is probably to ask the user for the
    > information, or even the complete string.

    An interesting approach is also how Inova NTP POE wallclocks are working:
    http://www.buyinova.com

    They also need a timezone string (I think in a proprietary format) which can
    be composed using Inova's Daylight Saving Time Calculator:
    http://www.buyinova.com/index.php?op...pper&Itemid=49

    The best thing is that you can put that string into a custom option (230 by
    default) on your DHCP server, so if there are changes required in the
    timezone string then you just have to update the DHCP server and the
    displays will pick it up when they are powered on the next time.

    Martin
    --
    Martin Burnicki

    Meinberg Funkuhren
    Bad Pyrmont
    Germany

  6. Re: How to get uclibc style timezone string

    Rohit wrote:
    > I am trying to get client machine's timezone from my java script . But
    > i have no idea how would i be able to get it in uclibc format. (e.g.
    > GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00) . I saw couple of posting
    > on net which suggest getTimezoneoffset or may be calculation with
    > dates from script gives correct offset including day light saving
    > time but i am not sure how correct this is. Again even if its
    > correct , its not telling me when (exact date and time )day light
    > saving adjustment starts and ends which is last part of /etc/TZ
    > string, Is there a way to get this from java script.

    This is not an appropriate question for this newsgroup. You should be
    posting this in a javascript newsgroup or mailing list. We don't discuss
    javascript and timezones are irrelevant here.

    Danny

  7. Re: How to get uclibc style timezone string (e.g GMT+0IST-1,

    On Jul 5, 12:11 am, ma...@ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:
    > Rohit wrote:
    > > I am trying to get client machine's timezone from my java script . But
    > > i have no idea how would i be able to get it in uclibc format. (e.g.
    > > GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00) . I saw couple of posting
    > > on net which suggest getTimezoneoffset or may be calculation with
    > > dates from script gives correct offset including day light saving
    > > time but i am not sure how correct this is. Again even if its
    > > correct , its not telling me when (exact date and time )day light
    > > saving adjustment starts and ends which is last part of /etc/TZ
    > > string, Is there a way to get this from java script.

    > This is not an appropriate question for this newsgroup. You should be
    > posting this in a javascript newsgroup or mailing list. We don't discuss
    > javascript and timezones are irrelevant here.
    >
    > Danny

    Well agreed to some extent. But i was not getting good responses in
    other groups and its involves time related discussion so i thought it
    might be ok. Also its not just about javascript as it may sound on
    surface but its mostly about timezone stuff though i would be doing
    this from javascript. But again i agree with you this might not be
    exactly the group for my question. As people have showed interest i
    would like to carry this thread forward.

  8. Re: How to get uclibc style timezone string (e.g GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00)from javascript

    On Jul 4, 1:48 am, David Woolley
    wrote:
    > Rohit wrote:
    > > I am trying to get client machine's timezone from my java script . But

    > This is off topic.
    >
    > Do you mean EcmaScript + old Netscape DOM, or do you mean Java. I'm
    > pretty certain that the former cannot provide the necessary information
    > without calling out to native objects, and I'm not sure that latter can.
    >
    > > i have no idea how would i be able to get it in uclibc format. (e.g.
    > > GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00) . I saw couple of posting

    > Whether you can even do this, and if so whether the result will be valid
    > beyond the Autumn, depends on your operating system and country.

    Will you elaborate bit more on this.

    > > on net which suggest getTimezoneoffset or may be calculation with
    > > dates from script gives correct offset including day light saving
    > > time but i am not sure how correct this is. Again even if its
    > > correct , its not telling me when (exact date and time )day light
    > > saving adjustment starts and ends which is last part of /etc/TZ
    > > string, Is there a way to get this from java script.

    > I'm having difficulty thinking of a real world reason why you would want
    > to do this. All the uses I can think of involve shelling out.
    >
    > Note that this format is a legacy format, and the average Linux system
    > (you posted from Linux) has a richer description of the rules.

    Yeah but this is on embedded system which still uses that legacy
    format.

    Rohit

  9. Re: How to get uclibc style timezone string (e.g GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00)from javascript

    On Jul 4, 2:30 pm, Martin Burnicki
    wrote:
    > David Woolley wrote:
    > > Martin Burnicki wrote:

    > >> The best reason I can think of is to check in advance whether the local
    > >> time will swich to and back from DST at the correct points in time, so
    > >> you won't get a bad surprise when it doesn't happen.

    Well i just want to support a option in my embedded device for:
    "being able to set timezone for this device as timezone which is used
    on other machines(windows or linux box) that user have and i do not
    want user to specify the complete string. He/she will have access to
    javascript which will get/generate timezone string in this format
    which device can use readily.

    > > But you want a human friendly format for that.

    > >> If the OP's requirement is to check whether the uclibc functions would
    > >> switch to and back from DST at the right points of time then he could
    > >> write

    > > My concern was that the requirement wws too artificial and it might be
    > > homework. However, it doesn't read to me as though this is about
    > > checking the behaviour, but about generating the rules on the assumption
    > > that the behaviour will be correct.

    Believe me this is not homework and i have done my homework , IMO.

    > Agreed, the subject suggests you are right.
    >
    > >> a little script or program that increments a UTC time stamp e.g. over a
    > >> year, let that time be converted to local time and see if the local time

    > > I did think of this, but really wanted to be sure the requirement was
    > > legitimate and the best solution first. Note this has to be done over
    > > the period for which you want the rule to be valid, e..g., for Pakistan,
    > > a rule generated for this year will not work for last year and it is
    > > anyone's guess as to whether it will work for next year. The OS may
    > > also give the wrong behaviour for years other than the current one.

    > Also agreed basically. However, if we're talking about an embedded system
    > the question is in which countries it is sold.
    > Also, even if the Olson libs are being used, the rules for Pakestan became
    > invalid and the libs had to be updated if Pakistan changed the rules in the
    > future. The time zone string had to be updated similarly if the rules
    > changed.
    >
    > > I would say the best way of doing this automatically would be to have
    > > the code read the source version of the Olson database, as testing dates
    > > over a single year cannot necessarily distinguish between week 4 and
    > > week 5 type rules, etc. The rules may have been different for the
    > > previous year.

    > > The best way of doing it is probably to ask the user for the
    > > information, or even the complete string.

    > An interesting approach is also how InovaNTPPOE wallclocks are working:http://www.buyinova.com
    >
    > They also need a timezone string (I think in a proprietary format) which can
    > be composed using Inova's Daylight Saving Time Calculator:http://www.buyinova.com/index.php?op...pper&Itemid=49
    >
    > The best thing is that you can put that string into a custom option (230 by
    > default) on your DHCP server, so if there are changes required in the
    > timezone string then you just have to update the DHCP server and the
    > displays will pick it up when they are powered on the next time.

    I also found the link http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-datec.htm#GUTZ
    but was not sure if its accurate. I tested it for few timezone setting
    for which it seemed to work. Any inputs on this ?? Does it handle all
    the cases ?

    -- Rohit

    > Martin
    > --
    > Martin Burnicki
    >
    > Meinberg Funkuhren
    > Bad Pyrmont
    > Germany

  10. Re: How to get uclibc style timezone string (e.g GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00)from javascript

    Rohit wrote:
    >> Whether you can even do this, and if so whether the result will be valid
    >> beyond the Autumn, depends on your operating system and country.
    >>

    > Will you elaborate bit more on this.

    To be able to do it you need an OS that has timezone support with at
    least equivalent capability.

    You also need to be in a country that: has only two DST states.

    You also need to be in a country that sets rules algorithmically.
    Whilst the UK now uses a week 5 rule, it wasn't that long ago that the
    rules were set by secondary legislation each year, and generally
    differed from those in the primary legislation. More recently, Pakistan
    introduced DST with only two weeks notice, and appear to have only done
    it for one year. Even the best maintained site would have said there
    was no DST if you ran the algoritthm before the middle of May, and most
    probably wouldn't give the right result until some time in the middle of
    June. The resulting rule would not be valid from June next year, unless
    new legislation is introduced. The rule is probably an Mn.0.1 rule, but
    one can only guess that from a sample of one.

    Windows only has similar capability to uclib, so, where there aren't
    compatible algorithms, you can only find a solution for the two
    transitions that are in the current Windows data.

  11. Re: How to get uclibc style timezone string

    Rohit wrote:
    > On Jul 5, 12:11 am, ma...@ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:
    >> Rohit wrote:
    >>> I am trying to get client machine's timezone from my java script . But
    >>> i have no idea how would i be able to get it in uclibc format. (e.g.
    >>> GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00) . I saw couple of posting
    >>> on net which suggest getTimezoneoffset or may be calculation with
    >>> dates from script gives correct offset including day light saving
    >>> time but i am not sure how correct this is. Again even if its
    >>> correct , its not telling me when (exact date and time )day light
    >>> saving adjustment starts and ends which is last part of /etc/TZ
    >>> string, Is there a way to get this from java script.

    >> This is not an appropriate question for this newsgroup. You should be
    >> posting this in a javascript newsgroup or mailing list. We don't discuss
    >> javascript and timezones are irrelevant here.
    >>
    >> Danny

    > Well agreed to some extent. But i was not getting good responses in
    > other groups and its involves time related discussion so i thought it
    > might be ok. Also its not just about javascript as it may sound on
    > surface but its mostly about timezone stuff though i would be doing
    > this from javascript. But again i agree with you this might not be
    > exactly the group for my question. As people have showed interest i
    > would like to carry this thread forward.

    Please take this elsewhere. This is a pure Javascript question and has
    nothing to do with this newsgroup.

    Danny

  12. Re: How to get uclibc style timezone string (e.g GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00) from javascript

    Rohit,

    Rohit wrote:
    > On Jul 4, 2:30 pm, Martin Burnicki
    > wrote:
    >> David Woolley wrote:

    > Well i just want to support a option in my embedded device for:
    > "being able to set timezone for this device as timezone which is used
    > on other machines(windows or linux box) that user have and i do not
    > want user to specify the complete string. He/she will have access to
    > javascript which will get/generate timezone string in this format
    > which device can use readily.

    Understood. However, this can be much trickier than it looks at the first
    glance.

    If your conversion should work universally then you have to write a routine
    which reads in the timezone settings of the Windows or Linux box, and
    convert it to the string format expected by uclibc. You have to check for
    all range limits and exceptions of the source format and have to cover all
    of this in your uclibc format.

    Depending on the operating system and C library there may be different
    formats to specify different time zones, even with different possibilities.

    You must even check if a set of configuration parameters describes a rule
    which can be applied for several years, or exact dates of beginning and end
    of DST, which are only valid for one year. Setting s which are valid for
    one year only can be useful e.g. in Pakistan (David ;-)) or in Israel,
    where the end of DST does not just depend on a simple rule (last Sunday of
    October ...) but on a certain day related to a Jewish holifday, see:
    http://www.gov.il/FirstGov/NewsEng/N...SavingTime.htm

    E.g. under Windows the timezone settings are kept in the registry and can be
    retrieved using the structure TIME_ZONE_INFORMATION.

    Possible settings allow either for a rule, or for exact dates:
    - if months=0 then no DST is observed
    - absolute dates: year, month, day-of-month, and time must be specified
    - rule dates: year must be 0, day-of-week according to requirements,
    day-of-month 1-5 (1st to 4th, 5 == last)

    Here are some rules which specify Central European Time, i.e Europe/Berlin:

    glibc/uclibc:
    "CET-1CEST-2,M3.5.0/02:00:00,M10.5.0/03:00:00"
    M3.5.0 = daylight saving starts the 0th day (Sunday) in the last week (5) of
    month March (3)
    http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/...-Variable.html
    http://www.uclibc.org/downloads/Glib...ifferences.txt

    OS/2 Warp 4:
    "CET-1CST,3,-1,0,7200,10,-1,0,10800,3600"
    http://www.opweb.de/en/csdp/SET_TZ.htm

    Though the OS/2 format looks similar to the glibc/uclibc format, there are
    some differences which needed to be handled.

    A quick internet search didn't return any results how you can specify an
    exact date using this formats, I'd think you have to create rules which
    yield the desired dates for the given year.

    For example, in Meinberg GPS receivers you can also either specify the exact
    date (year, month, day-of-month) or a rule (wildcard year, month
    day-of-month, and day-of-week). In the latter case the changeover occurse
    at the first day-of-week on or after the configured date.

    [...]
    >> > My concern was that the requirement wws too artificial and it might be
    >> > homework. However, it doesn't read to me as though this is about
    >> > checking the behaviour, but about generating the rules on the
    >> > assumption that the behaviour will be correct.

    > Believe me this is not homework and i have done my homework , IMO.

    Please note it wasn't me who has made the remark concerning your homework.

    [...]
    > I also found the link http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-datec.htm#GUTZ
    > but was not sure if its accurate. I tested it for few timezone setting
    > for which it seemed to work. Any inputs on this ?? Does it handle all
    > the cases ?

    It's not too hard to create a rule string from a set of given constraints.
    IMO it's much harder to pick up one rule string and convert it into another
    one, depending on the source and target formats, and all the limitations of
    each format.

    Making sure this works correctly requires a look at the code, not only to
    check a few conversions which may occasionally work correctly.

    Martin
    --
    Martin Burnicki

    Meinberg Funkuhren
    Bad Pyrmont
    Germany

  13. Re: How to get uclibc style timezone string (e.g GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00) from javascript

    David,

    David Woolley wrote:
    > You also need to be in a country that sets rules algorithmically.
    > Whilst the UK now uses a week 5 rule, it wasn't that long ago that the
    > rules were set by secondary legislation each year, and generally
    > differed from those in the primary legislation. More recently, Pakistan
    > introduced DST with only two weeks notice, and appear to have only done
    > it for one year. Even the best maintained site would have said there
    > was no DST if you ran the algoritthm before the middle of May, and most
    > probably wouldn't give the right result until some time in the middle of
    > June. The resulting rule would not be valid from June next year, unless
    > new legislation is introduced. The rule is probably an Mn.0.1 rule, but
    > one can only guess that from a sample of one.

    As already stated earlier IMO we have to distinguish between the
    possibilities a set of rules provides, and the policies determined by the
    governments.

    If a country only publishes a rule 2 weeks before it comes into effect then
    you have to update both you timezone libs or your rule string quickly, or
    the DST changeover will not happen correctly. Similar for a rule which can
    not easily be covered by those standard rules (first Sunday after ..), e.g.
    in case of Israel.

    In this context there is no difference whether you use libs or a rule
    string.

    Martin
    --
    Martin Burnicki

    Meinberg Funkuhren
    Bad Pyrmont
    Germany

  14. Re: How to get uclibc style timezone string (e.g GMT+0IST-1, M3.5.0/01:00:00, M10.5.0/02:00:00) from javascript

    Danny,

    Danny Mayer wrote:
    > Rohit wrote:
    >>> This is not an appropriate question for this newsgroup. You should be
    >>> posting this in a javascript newsgroup or mailing list. We don't discuss
    >>> javascript and timezones are irrelevant here.
    >>>
    >>> Danny

    >> Well agreed to some extent. But i was not getting good responses in
    >> other groups and its involves time related discussion so i thought it
    >> might be ok. Also its not just about javascript as it may sound on
    >> surface but its mostly about timezone stuff though i would be doing
    >> this from javascript. But again i agree with you this might not be
    >> exactly the group for my question. As people have showed interest i
    >> would like to carry this thread forward.

    > Please take this elsewhere. This is a pure Javascript question and has
    > nothing to do with this newsgroup.
    >
    > Danny

    I strongly disagree.

    This topic is about the conversion of timezone rules, and even though this
    has nothing directly to do with NTP, it is related since we always keep
    telling people, "NTP does not care about time zones, your client OS has
    to." If someone asks how to do this the best way, should we tell him to go
    elsewhere and leave him alone? This NG is one of the few places where you
    can find lots of people interested in time keeping, who have enough
    background to comment on this topic.

    The question is how timezone rules could be converted safely from one format
    into another one, and whether do this in java script, or lisp, or whatever
    doesn't matter at all.

    Martin
    --
    Martin Burnicki

    Meinberg Funkuhren
    Bad Pyrmont
    Germany

  15. Re: How to get uclibc style timezone string (e.g GMT+0IST-1, M3.5.0/01:00:00, M10.5.0/02:00:00) from javascript

    I agree with Martin - I am happy to see this information in this newsgroup.
    --
    Harlan Stenn
    http://ntpforum.isc.org - be a member!

  16. Re: How to get uclibc style timezone string

    Harlan Stenn wrote:
    > I agree with Martin - I am happy to see this information in this newsgroup.

    I deal with Javascript every day and would never look here for answers
    to get answers for Javascript issues. This has all to do with Locale
    issues and how javascript can get to the information. As I said this is
    a Javascript issue not an NTP issue. The same holds for getting
    information about language, currency and numbers. You wouldn't ask about
    them here would you?

    Danny

  17. Re: How to get uclibc style timezone string (e.g GMT+0IST-1, M3.5.0/01:00:00, M10.5.0/02:00:00) from javascript

    >>> In article <487354EB.9030403@ntp.isc.org>, mayer@ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) writes:

    Harlan> I agree with Martin - I am happy to see this information in this
    Harlan> newsgroup.

    Danny> I deal with Javascript every day and would never look here for
    Danny> answers to get answers for Javascript issues. This has all to do with
    Danny> Locale issues and how javascript can get to the information.

    So what? This is not about you, it's about other people.

    It's about where folks go to look for information about time-related things.

    Danny> The same holds for getting information about language, currency and
    Danny> numbers. You wouldn't ask about them here would you?

    Red herring.

    --
    Harlan Stenn
    http://ntpforum.isc.org - be a member!