Public remote RNG server service on the net - NTP

This is a discussion on Public remote RNG server service on the net - NTP ; Is there any public remote RNG server running on the Internet? By this I mean a public service similar to the Network Time Protocol (NTP). It should generate for example 50 random numbers in the range 0 to 255 in ...

  1. Public remote RNG server service on the net

    Is there any public remote RNG server running on the Internet?
    By this I mean a public service similar to the Network Time Protocol (NTP).

    It should generate for example 50 random numbers in the
    range 0 to 255 in string format in intervalls of a minute,
    and together with a timestamp make this record (ie. a line)
    publicly available. There should also be an open API for
    retrieving the RNG record for the specified datetime key.

    Such an independent public RNG service would be useful for
    online game operators and players; ie. for lotto, roulette and
    other chance games, but also for researchers.

    All the generated RNG records should also be archived and
    put online for manual downloading (for statistical tests etc.)

    The current situation of for example how the Keno lotto numbers
    are generated is not much trustworthy since it is in the hands of
    the Keno-organizers themselves. And there is a big mistrust
    by the players in this method, and there have also been some
    scandals because the game organizers know what the players
    have played and it is easy to generate numbers which would
    pay out the least prizes...

    So there is a public need for one or more trustworthy,
    independent and open public RNG servers around the globe
    for the benefit of everybody in the industry.

  2. Re: Public remote RNG server service on the net

    Adem24 wrote:
    > Is there any public remote RNG server running on the Internet?
    > By this I mean a public service similar to the Network Time Protocol (NTP).
    >
    > It should generate for example 50 random numbers in the
    > range 0 to 255 in string format in intervalls of a minute,
    > and together with a timestamp make this record (ie. a line)
    > publicly available. There should also be an open API for
    > retrieving the RNG record for the specified datetime key.
    >
    > Such an independent public RNG service would be useful for
    > online game operators and players; ie. for lotto, roulette and
    > other chance games, but also for researchers.
    >
    > All the generated RNG records should also be archived and
    > put online for manual downloading (for statistical tests etc.)
    >
    > The current situation of for example how the Keno lotto numbers
    > are generated is not much trustworthy since it is in the hands of
    > the Keno-organizers themselves. And there is a big mistrust
    > by the players in this method, and there have also been some
    > scandals because the game organizers know what the players
    > have played and it is easy to generate numbers which would
    > pay out the least prizes...
    >
    > So there is a public need for one or more trustworthy,
    > independent and open public RNG servers around the globe
    > for the benefit of everybody in the industry.

    Even if there are noone here cares about it and it's off topic for this
    newsgroup.

    Danny

  3. Re: Public remote RNG server service on the net

    Danny Mayer wrote:
    > Adem24 wrote:
    >> Is there any public remote RNG server running on the Internet?
    >> By this I mean a public service similar to the Network Time Protocol (NTP).
    >>
    >> It should generate for example 50 random numbers in the
    >> range 0 to 255 in string format in intervals of a minute,

    Random number generators typically generate values between 0 and 1.0.
    You would have to multiply the values by 255 to get the range you want.
    I never heard of a server offering such a service; typically it is a
    function called "rand", "rnd" or something similar that you incorporate
    in the software that needs the random values. The values are actually
    pseudo random numbers since the function generates a sequence of random
    numbers based on a starting "seed". The same seed will give you the
    same sequence of random numbers every time.

    If your computer has Fortran or C installed, you should have everything
    you need. I think PL/1 probably has one also.

  4. Re: Public remote RNG server service on the net

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    > Random number generators typically generate values between 0 and 1.0.
    > You would have to multiply the values by 255 to get the range you want.

    The sort of random number generator he is talking about, like reading
    /dev/random on Linux, is a cryptographic one and does generate random
    bit patterns that are measured in bytes.

    > I never heard of a server offering such a service; typically it is a
    > function called "rand", "rnd" or something similar that you incorporate

    That sort of function is generally pseudo random, although it might be
    seeded from a more random source. It's not suitable for games, as
    suggested in the question, or security.

    Incidentally the original was posted with a set of followup newsgroups
    that didn't include comp.protocols.time.ntp, so it is even possible that
    the questioner is not seeing these replies.

  5. Re: Public remote RNG server service on the net

    mayer@ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) writes:

    >Adem24 wrote:
    >> Is there any public remote RNG server running on the Internet?
    >> By this I mean a public service similar to the Network Time Protocol (NTP).
    >>
    >> It should generate for example 50 random numbers in the
    >> range 0 to 255 in string format in intervalls of a minute,

    That would be in general be a terrible idea. random numbers are usually
    used for cryptographic purposes and letting someone else know what your
    random numbers are is a HUGE hole.

    Besides many operating systems already have random number generators.
    /dev/urandom on linux systems for example. Just read as many bytes as you
    want from it.

    >> and together with a timestamp make this record (ie. a line)
    >> publicly available. There should also be an open API for
    >> retrieving the RNG record for the specified datetime key.

    Why in the world would you want it?

    >> Such an independent public RNG service would be useful for
    >> online game operators and players; ie. for lotto, roulette and
    >> other chance games, but also for researchers.

    You mean so everyone else could cheat you?\

    >> All the generated RNG records should also be archived and
    >> put online for manual downloading (for statistical tests etc.)
    >>
    >> The current situation of for example how the Keno lotto numbers
    >> are generated is not much trustworthy since it is in the hands of
    >> the Keno-organizers themselves. And there is a big mistrust
    >> by the players in this method, and there have also been some
    >> scandals because the game organizers know what the players
    >> have played and it is easy to generate numbers which would
    >> pay out the least prizes...
    >>
    >> So there is a public need for one or more trustworthy,
    >> independent and open public RNG servers around the globe
    >> for the benefit of everybody in the industry.

    And you would trust this organization that published this?

    >Even if there are noone here cares about it and it's off topic for this
    >newsgroup.

    That is also true.

  6. Re: Public remote RNG server service on the net

    Since this thread is completely off-topic, but everyone else is
    replying, I suppose I will too:

    Check out http://www.random.org

    Atmospeheric noise is the entropy source, "whitened" using the SHA
    family of algorithms IIRC. This site is actually useful for things
    like picking box numbers in the office Superbowl pool, as others can
    witness (visually) that results were pulled directly from the
    random.org site.

    --
    RPM

  7. Re: Public remote RNG server service on the net

    Ryan Malayter wrote:
    > Since this thread is completely off-topic, but everyone else is
    > replying, I suppose I will too:
    >
    > Check out http://www.random.org
    >
    > Atmospeheric noise is the entropy source, "whitened" using the SHA
    > family of algorithms IIRC. This site is actually useful for things
    > like picking box numbers in the office Superbowl pool, as others can
    > witness (visually) that results were pulled directly from the
    > random.org site.

    Just responding to this message should provide sufficient randomness
    since it's mostly useless comments.

    Danny

+ Reply to Thread