David Woolley wrote:
> Danny Mayer wrote:
>
>>> Interface addresses aren't supposed to change, not just for ntp. You
>>> will probably also confuse named.
>>>

>> No, named has handled that for a very long time.

> The named I have had had for less than a very long time won't even
> detect an interface going from down to up with the same address until
> the next time it scans for new interfaces. I sometimes have to do rndc
> reload to get connectivity back.

Then there must be something very wrong with your configuration. I was
testing this at one time during the development of the code and I assure
you that it does work and has always worked in BIND9.

>> Well operated ISP's and companies will change your IP address from time
>> to time. Even my office network will change my IP address on my laptop
>> even though it will renew my existing address if it's available.

> They should not, because a client that is up should renew the lease long
> before it expires. Even if the machine is offline, leases should be set
> long enough to cover most normal offline time.

I move around in the office and our network is divided into different IP
address zones. I get a new address when I move to a different zone. When
I get back to my own office there is know way that my laptop will
remember what it was previously using. Don't expect the DHCP server to
do so.

Danny