Number of sockets in NTP - NTP

This is a discussion on Number of sockets in NTP - NTP ; Hi, I am wondering why do we need to open one socket per interface in the system. In a very large setups with huge number of interfaces, NTP can potentially open large number of sockets. What is the motive and ...

  1. Number of sockets in NTP

    Hi,

    I am wondering why do we need to open one socket per interface in the
    system.
    In a very large setups with huge number of interfaces, NTP can potentially
    open large number
    of sockets. What is the motive and the advantages of opening one socket per
    interface ?

    Can we not do away with just the wildcard sockets ?

    Thanks
    Kiran

  2. Re: Number of sockets in NTP

    Kiran Shirol wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am wondering why do we need to open one socket per interface in the
    > system.
    > In a very large setups with huge number of interfaces, NTP can potentially
    > open large number
    > of sockets. What is the motive and the advantages of opening one socket per
    > interface ?
    >
    > Can we not do away with just the wildcard sockets ?

    No, it not as simple as that. Because NTP uses UDP there is no
    previously established connection to respond on. There are a number of
    other reasons to avoid using wildcards, including autokey and firewalls
    which expect responses to packets from the same address to which the
    outgoing packet was sent.

    There is code that will allow you to specify which IP addresses to open
    and which to send queries out on but it's not yet available while we
    resolve some configuration questions. See
    http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/...NetworkSockets for what we
    are looking at doing.

    Note that this issue has been extensively discussed and you should find
    them in the archives.

    Danny

+ Reply to Thread