Clock accuracy stats - NTP

This is a discussion on Clock accuracy stats - NTP ; I installed and setup NTP on my PC as a client, using the server time.nist.gov. I would like to view accuracy statistics. I tried the "ntpq -p" command, but I get the error: "No association ID's returned". I also downloaded ...

  1. Clock accuracy stats

    I installed and setup NTP on my PC as a client, using the server
    time.nist.gov. I would like to view accuracy statistics. I tried the
    "ntpq -p" command, but I get the error: "No association ID's
    returned".

    I also downloaded and installed NTPmonitor, but it says the
    status of each of the default list of servers (time.nist.gov, etc.) is
    unknown, and says that it is "disconnected" from each of them.

    I am running on Windows Vista, but the NTP software (and
    NTPmonitor) is installed in another directory, not the standard
    "Program Files" directory that can result in problems (cannot write to
    it).

    Thanks, Alan

  2. Re: Clock accuracy stats

    Alan wrote:
    > I installed and setup NTP on my PC as a client, using the server
    > time.nist.gov. I would like to view accuracy statistics. I tried the
    > "ntpq -p" command, but I get the error: "No association ID's
    > returned".
    >
    > I also downloaded and installed NTPmonitor, but it says the
    > status of each of the default list of servers (time.nist.gov, etc.) is
    > unknown, and says that it is "disconnected" from each of them.
    >
    > I am running on Windows Vista, but the NTP software (and
    > NTPmonitor) is installed in another directory, not the standard
    > "Program Files" directory that can result in problems (cannot write to
    > it).
    >
    > Thanks, Alan

    Alan,

    In your firewall software, please ensure that both NTPD and NTPQ have both
    incoming and outgoing Internet access allowed. (Outgoing alone may be
    enough). Restart NTP.

    If that is OK, either check the server list for NTP, or look in the event
    viewer to see any error messages from the NTP application.

    Cheers,
    David

  3. Re: Clock accuracy stats

    Alan wrote:
    > I installed and setup NTP on my PC as a client, using the server
    > time.nist.gov. I would like to view accuracy statistics. I tried the

    Incidentally, that server is heavily overloaded and is unlikely to be a
    good choice compared with a nearby stratum 2 server. As a general
    principle leaf nodes shouldn't be using stratum one servers. For
    non-critical, personal, systems the servers provided by any competent
    ISP should do.

    > "ntpq -p" command, but I get the error: "No association ID's
    > returned".

    I'd assume that it has failed to read the configuration file and has
    started without any servers. I think it might also happen if you fail
    to resolve the domain names, which might be a service dependency issue.

    With regard to the subject, these tools cannot tell you the accuracy of
    the clock, they can only give you information about the quality of the
    time measurements that are being made. In particular, providing you are
    getting offsets scattered evenly around zero, the clock's variation is
    likely to be a lot less than the offsets you are seeing, but there may
    be a systematic bias in the time that is not reflected in the statistics.

  4. Re: Clock accuracy stats

    On 2008-06-16, David Woolley
    wrote:

    > Alan wrote:
    >
    >> I installed and setup NTP on my PC as a client, using the server
    >> time.nist.gov. I would like to view accuracy statistics. I tried the

    > Incidentally, that server is heavily overloaded and is unlikely to be
    > a good choice compared with a nearby stratum 2 server. As a general
    > principle leaf nodes shouldn't be using stratum one servers. For
    > non-critical, personal, systems the servers provided by any competent
    > ISP should do.

    In addition to one's ISP, sources for Public Time Servers include:

    * The Stratum 2 Time Server List at http://support.ntp.org/s2

    * The NTP Pool at http://support.ntp.org/pool or http://www.pool.ntp.org/

    --
    Steve Kostecke