too many recvbufs allocated (40) - NTP

This is a discussion on too many recvbufs allocated (40) - NTP ; Hi, I am new to the group, appreciate if you could answer a couple of queries I have Recently in one of my setups, I got this message continuously. too many recvbufs allocated (40) - ntpd I checked the code(ntp-4.2.0a) ...

  1. too many recvbufs allocated (40)

    Hi,

    I am new to the group, appreciate if you could answer a couple of queries I
    have

    Recently in one of my setups, I got this message continuously.

    too many recvbufs allocated (40) - ntpd

    I checked the code(ntp-4.2.0a) and found that ntpd has 40 recv buffers
    allocated for the recv packets.

    My questions:

    1. What situation causes such syslogs to pop-up ?

    2. Is it safe to increase the RECV_TOMANY to a larger value ?

    Thanks
    Kiran

  2. Re: too many recvbufs allocated (40)

    kiran.shirol@gmail.com (Kiran Shirol) writes:

    >Hi,

    >I am new to the group, appreciate if you could answer a couple of queries I
    >have

    >Recently in one of my setups, I got this message continuously.

    >too many recvbufs allocated (40) - ntpd

    >I checked the code(ntp-4.2.0a) and found that ntpd has 40 recv buffers
    >allocated for the recv packets.

    >My questions:

    >1. What situation causes such syslogs to pop-up ?

    >2. Is it safe to increase the RECV_TOMANY to a larger value ?

    How many servers do you have? What are your minpoll and maxpoll values for
    those servers? Are you actually getting through to those servers ( what is
    the output of ntpq -p).

    >Thanks
    >Kiran

  3. Re: too many recvbufs allocated (40)

    >>> In article , kiran.shirol@gmail.com (Kiran Shirol) writes:

    Kiran> Recently in one of my setups, I got this message continuously.

    Kiran> too many recvbufs allocated (40) - ntpd

    Kiran> I checked the code(ntp-4.2.0a) and found that ntpd has 40 recv
    Kiran> buffers allocated for the recv packets.

    I recall a bug like this being fixed a while ago.

    4.2.0 is pretty old. The latest stable release is 4.2.4, and we are pretty
    close to releasing ntp-dev as 4.2.6.

    I recommend you upgrade your ntp software.

    --
    Harlan Stenn
    http://ntpforum.isc.org - be a member!

+ Reply to Thread