question about DST - NTP

This is a discussion on question about DST - NTP ; With luck, you have now done the easy part. The difficult part comes in three months when the clocks go back. You will almost certainly have some applications that run on wall clock time and don't tolerate backward steps in ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: question about DST

    With luck, you have now done the easy part. The difficult part comes in
    three months when the clocks go back. You will almost certainly have
    some applications that run on wall clock time and don't tolerate
    backward steps in time.

    Incidentally, the reason that I ruled out Pakistan initially was that
    the previous change was easily within living memory of anyone working in
    IT, whereas the previous change in Morocco might be unknown to anyone
    below their mid thirties. That conflicted with the statement that this
    was the first ever use.

    I think the earlier DST question was in relation to Morocco, as I seem
    to remember a French connection. They will have the same consideration
    when the clocks go back.

  2. Re: question about DST

    On May 31, 9:54 pm, Unruh wrote:
    > asrai...@gmail.com writes:
    > >On May 31, 3:17 am, David Woolley
    > > wrote:

    > >> Definitely.

    > >> "known" may be the issue. Unless the country is Morocco, in which case

    > He claims to be in Pakistan. The latest tzdata file KNOWS about the change
    >
    > #
    > Rule Pakistan 2002 only - Apr Sun>=2 0:01 1:00 S
    > Rule Pakistan 2002 only - Oct Sun>=2 0:01 0 -
    > Rule Pakistan 2008 only - Jun 1 0:00 1:00 S
    > Rule Pakistan 2008 only - Sep 1 0:00 0 -
    > # Zone NAME GMTOFF RULES FORMAT [UNTIL]
    > Zone Asia/Karachi 4:28:12 - LMT 1907
    > 5:30 - IST 1942 Sep
    > 5:30 1:00 IST 1945 Oct 15
    > 5:30 - IST 1951 Sep 30
    > 5:00 - KART 1971 Mar 26 # Karachi Time
    > 5:00 Pakistan PK%sT # Pakistan Time
    >
    > >So switching from +5:00 to +6:00 GMT is what i have to do at OS side?

    > NO. What you have to do is go to that nist site, download the latest tzdata
    > file
    > tzdata2008c.tar.gz
    > to your Linux machine
    >
    > untar it
    > tar -xzf tzdata2008c.tar.gz
    > zic asia
    > rm /etc/localtime
    > cp /usr/share/zoninfo/Asia/Karachi /etc/localtime
    >
    > And you are done.
    > You can copy that same file to your other Linux ( and probably unix)
    > machines as well, and you are done.
    >
    > On Windows follow Moe's suggestion.

    Thanks for the step by step instructions, its works on Linux (centos)
    I'll update after doing it on other OS (Solaris).

    I wonders what will be procedure when after three months when the
    clocks go back?

  3. Re: question about DST

    wrote in message
    > On May 31, 9:54 pm, Unruh wrote:

    >> Rule Pakistan 2002 only - Apr Sun>=2 0:01 1:00 S
    >> Rule Pakistan 2002 only - Oct Sun>=2 0:01 0 -
    >> Rule Pakistan 2008 only - Jun 1 0:00 1:00 S
    >> Rule Pakistan 2008 only - Sep 1 0:00 0 -

    [...]
    > Thanks for the step by step instructions, its works on Linux
    > (centos) I'll update after doing it on other OS (Solaris).
    >
    > I wonders what will be procedure when after three months when
    > the clocks go back?

    Don't wonder. Read the rule file and you'll _know_.

    Groetjes,
    Maarten Wiltink

  4. Re: question about DST

    askarali@gmail.com writes:

    >On May 31, 9:54 pm, Unruh wrote:
    >> asrai...@gmail.com writes:

    >> He claims to be in Pakistan. The latest tzdata file KNOWS about the change
    >>
    >> #
    >> Rule Pakistan 2002 only - Apr Sun>=2 0:01 1:00 S
    >> Rule Pakistan 2002 only - Oct Sun>=2 0:01 0 -
    >> Rule Pakistan 2008 only - Jun 1 0:00 1:00 S
    >> Rule Pakistan 2008 only - Sep 1 0:00 0 -
    >> # Zone NAME GMTOFF RULES FORMAT [UNTIL]
    >> Zone Asia/Karachi 4:28:12 - LMT 1907
    >> 5:30 - IST 1942 Sep
    >> 5:30 1:00 IST 1945 Oct 15
    >> 5:30 - IST 1951 Sep 30
    >> 5:00 - KART 1971 Mar 26 # Karachi Time
    >> 5:00 Pakistan PK%sT # Pakistan Time
    >>
    >> >So switching from +5:00 to +6:00 GMT is what i have to do at OS side?

    >> NO. What you have to do is go to that nist site, download the latest tzdata
    >> file
    >> tzdata2008c.tar.gz
    >> to your Linux machine
    >>
    >> untar it
    >> tar -xzf tzdata2008c.tar.gz
    >> zic asia
    >> rm /etc/localtime
    >> cp /usr/share/zoninfo/Asia/Karachi /etc/localtime
    >>
    >> And you are done.
    >> You can copy that same file to your other Linux ( and probably unix)
    >> machines as well, and you are done.
    >>
    >> On Windows follow Moe's suggestion.

    >Thanks for the step by step instructions, its works on Linux (centos)
    >I'll update after doing it on other OS (Solaris).

    >I wonders what will be procedure when after three months when the
    >clocks go back?

    The file already contains the rules for that. No worries. Now if next year
    they suddenly decide to do the same thing, just download the latest tzdata
    file.

  5. Re: question about DST

    On Jun 2, 11:13 am, Unruh wrote:
    > askar...@gmail.com writes:

    > >> He claims to be in Pakistan. The latest tzdata file KNOWS about the change

    > >> #
    > >> Rule Pakistan 2002 only - Apr Sun>=2 0:01 1:00 S
    > >> Rule Pakistan 2002 only - Oct Sun>=2 0:01 0 -
    > >> Rule Pakistan 2008 only - Jun 1 0:00 1:00 S
    > >> Rule Pakistan 2008 only - Sep 1 0:00 0 -
    > >> # Zone NAME GMTOFF RULES FORMAT [UNTIL]
    > >> Zone Asia/Karachi 4:28:12 - LMT 1907
    > >> 5:30 - IST 1942 Sep
    > >> 5:30 1:00 IST 1945 Oct 15
    > >> 5:30 - IST 1951 Sep 30
    > >> 5:00 - KART 1971 Mar 26 # Karachi Time
    > >> 5:00 Pakistan PK%sT # Pakistan Time

    > >> NO. What you have to do is go to that nist site, download the latest tzdata
    > >> file
    > >> tzdata2008c.tar.gz
    > >> to your Linux machine

    > >> untar it
    > >> tar -xzf tzdata2008c.tar.gz
    > >> zic asia
    > >> rm /etc/localtime
    > >> cp /usr/share/zoninfo/Asia/Karachi /etc/localtime

    > >> And you are done.
    > >> You can copy that same file to your other Linux ( and probably unix)
    > >> machines as well, and you are done.

    > >> On Windows follow Moe's suggestion.

    > >Thanks for the step by step instructions, its works on Linux (centos)
    > >I'll update after doing it on other OS (Solaris).
    > >I wonders what will be procedure when after three months when the
    > >clocks go back?

    > The file already contains the rules for that. No worries. Now if next year
    > they suddenly decide to do the same thing, just download the latest tzdata
    > file.

    Thanks, anyone know howto do the DST things in Sun Solaris ? I am done
    with BSD and Linux with tzdata + zic but duno how to do it on
    Solaris.
    I'll am very thankful to all those who replied to my thread and help
    me to solve the DST issue.

  6. Re: question about DST

    askarali@gmail.com wrote:

    > Thanks, anyone know howto do the DST things in Sun Solaris ? I am done
    > with BSD and Linux with tzdata + zic but duno how to do it on
    > Solaris.
    > I'll am very thankful to all those who replied to my thread and help
    > me to solve the DST issue.

    The files live in /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/src. Change the rules in the
    asia file in that directory. You can then use the zic command to
    create a replacement for the /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/Asia/Karachi file.

    Brian Utterback

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2