ntp warnings and restrictions - NTP

This is a discussion on ntp warnings and restrictions - NTP ; Hello, I have just configured a new Linux system with Linux 10.3 and ntp version 4.2.4p3. I have made all the associated files owner as root. Authentication and conrtol keys are configured. When I use ntpdc to add a server ...

  1. ntp warnings and restrictions

    Hello,

    I have just configured a new Linux system with Linux 10.3 and ntp version
    4.2.4p3.
    I have made all the associated files owner as root.
    Authentication and conrtol keys are configured.
    When I use ntpdc to add a server (using the addserver command), I enter
    the name of a valid server, it asks for the KeyID.
    After I enter the key, it fails and gives the following messages:
    ***Warning changing to older implementation
    ***Warning changing the request packet size from 160 to 48
    ***Permission denied
    If I try again with another server, it gives the following messages
    ***Server reports a format error in the received packet (shouldn't
    happen)
    ***Retrying command with old conf_peer size
    ***Server reports a format error in the received packet (shouldn't
    happen)

    Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem.

    Thank,
    Ray
    ---------------------------------

  2. Re: ntp warnings and restrictions

    Ray wrote:

    > I have just configured a new Linux system with Linux 10.3 and ntp version
    > 4.2.4p3.

    Which "brand" of Linux? There is no 10.3 version of Linux (current
    kernels are in the 2.6 series), but there may well be a 10.3 version of
    some Linux "distribution".

    Note. If you are building a new system, the current release version of
    ntpd is 4.2.4p5.

  3. Re: ntp warnings and restrictions

    The new Linux is SuSE 10.3, kernel 2.6.22.17-0.1.

    Ray

    "David Woolley" wrote in message
    > Ray wrote:
    > >
    > > I have just configured a new Linux system with Linux 10.3 and ntp

    version
    > > 4.2.4p3.

    > Which "brand" of Linux? There is no 10.3 version of Linux (current
    > kernels are in the 2.6 series), but there may well be a 10.3 version of
    > some Linux "distribution".
    >
    > Note. If you are building a new system, the current release version of
    > ntpd is 4.2.4p5.

  4. Re: ntp warnings and restrictions

    David Woolley writes:

    >Ray wrote:
    >>
    >> I have just configured a new Linux system with Linux 10.3 and ntp version
    >> 4.2.4p3.

    >Which "brand" of Linux? There is no 10.3 version of Linux (current
    >kernels are in the 2.6 series), but there may well be a 10.3 version of
    >some Linux "distribution".

    >Note. If you are building a new system, the current release version of
    >ntpd is 4.2.4p5.

    Not quite yet. That is still in beta testing (release candidate) The
    production version if 4.2.4p4
    I suspect he is using SUSE since its latest is 10.3 but I would have
    expected it to have p4, not p3. Something sounds messed up with the key
    handling/authentication. Not sure why he wants to use authentication.

  5. Re: ntp warnings and restrictions

    On 2008-05-28, Unruh wrote:

    > Something sounds messed up with the key handling/authentication. Not
    > sure why he wants to use authentication.

    The OP is trying to use ntpdc to add/remove servers from a running ntpd.
    This requires the use of symmetric keys. And it requires a comptible
    ntpdc.

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  6. Re: ntp warnings and restrictions

    Steve,

    The control program ntpdc is compatable with the daemon.
    See below:
    ntp daemon version is: "ntpd 4.2.4p3@1.1502-o Sat Sep 22 01:01:25 UTC
    2007 (1)"
    ntpdc version is: ntpdc 4.2.4p3@1.1502-o Sat Sep 22 01:01:31
    UTC 2007 (1)

    Are there any incompatabilities with these 2 programs?

    Ray

    "Steve Kostecke" wrote in message
    news:slrng3r8nq.rbs.kostecke@stasis.kostecke.net.. .
    > On 2008-05-28, Unruh wrote:
    >
    > > Something sounds messed up with the key handling/authentication. Not
    > > sure why he wants to use authentication.

    > The OP is trying to use ntpdc to add/remove servers from a running ntpd.
    > This requires the use of symmetric keys. And it requires a comptible
    > ntpdc.
    >
    > --
    > Steve Kostecke
    > NTP Public Services Project - http://support.ntp.org/

  7. Re: ntp warnings and restrictions

    On 2008-05-28, Ray wrote:

    >Attribution Missing Wrote:
    >
    >>No quoted text included...

    > The control program ntpdc is compatable with the daemon. See below:
    > ntp daemon version is: "ntpd 4.2.4p3@1.1502-o Sat Sep 22 01:01:25 UTC
    > 2007 (1)" ntpdc version is: ntpdc 4.2.4p3@1.1502-o Sat Sep 22 01:01:31
    > UTC 2007 (1)
    >
    > Are there any incompatabilities with these 2 programs?

    ntpdc uses the mode-7 messages which are version specific. As long as
    both ntpd and ntpdc are the same version they should interoperate
    without any problems.

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  8. Re: ntp warnings and restrictions

    Ray wrote:
    > Steve,
    >
    > The control program ntpdc is compatable with the daemon.
    > See below:
    > ntp daemon version is: "ntpd 4.2.4p3@1.1502-o Sat Sep 22 01:01:25 UTC
    > 2007 (1)"
    > ntpdc version is: ntpdc 4.2.4p3@1.1502-o Sat Sep 22 01:01:31
    > UTC 2007 (1)
    >
    > Are there any incompatabilities with these 2 programs?

    Do you use the OpenSuSE provided package?
    don't beat me over the head but afaik ntp
    runs chrooted in 10.3. your daemon may see
    completely different files.

    Additionally you may have issues with the firewall
    and/or AppArmor.

    have a look into /usr/sbin/rcntp

    uwe

+ Reply to Thread