Can we write NTP server using c# - NTP

This is a discussion on Can we write NTP server using c# - NTP ; >>> In article , "rajeshkankran@gmail.com" writes: rajeshkankran> What is the basic difference in NTP and SNTP rajeshkankran> implementation... An SNTP client asks some number of servers "Hey, what time is it?" and takes the first valid response, sets the clock, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: Can we write NTP server using c#

    >>> In article <29551d9a-3bbf-4bde-a128-c6f3f745b22b@s21g2000prm.googlegroups.com>, "rajeshkankran@gmail.com" writes:

    rajeshkankran> What is the basic difference in NTP and SNTP
    rajeshkankran> implementation...

    An SNTP client asks some number of servers "Hey, what time is it?" and takes
    the first valid response, sets the clock, and exits.

    An NTP implementation sticks around and pays attention to all of the ongoing
    answers it gets, being careful with those answers to discern the "right
    time" on an ongoing basis.

    --
    Harlan Stenn
    http://ntpforum.isc.org - be a member!

  2. Re: Can we write NTP server using c#

    Harlan Stenn wrote:

    > An SNTP client asks some number of servers "Hey, what time is it?" and takes
    > the first valid response, sets the clock, and exits.

    That definition excludes OpenNTP and early versions of W32Time, neither
    of which exits after setting the time and both of which are only SNTP.

    > An NTP implementation sticks around and pays attention to all of the ongoing
    > answers it gets, being careful with those answers to discern the "right
    > time" on an ongoing basis.

    A crude definition is an NTP client is mandated to implement most of one
    of the NTP RFCs (parts of version 3 are non-normative), in respect of
    issuing client requests and responding to server responses. An SNTP
    client need implement only a small part of an SNTP RFC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2