Symmetricom BC635 reference clock for linux - NTP

This is a discussion on Symmetricom BC635 reference clock for linux - NTP ; Has anyone developed the reference clock to the symmetricom BC635PCI card under linux? There was chatter on this but the thread ended. The name Rob appeared in the thread an it appeared he developed the driver. I would greatly appreciate ...

  1. Symmetricom BC635 reference clock for linux

    Has anyone developed the reference clock to the symmetricom BC635PCI card under linux? There was chatter on this but the thread ended. The name Rob appeared in the thread an it appeared he developed the driver. I would greatly appreciate help getting this reference clock since symmetricom appears to have no interest in providing one

    Thanks
    Mike Hardy

  2. Re: Symmetricom BC635 reference clock for linux

    Michael Hardy wrote:
    > Has anyone developed the reference clock to the symmetricom BC635PCI card under linux? There was chatter on this but the thread ended. The name Rob appeared in the thread an it appeared he developed the driver. I would greatly appreciate help getting this reference clock since symmetricom appears to have no interest in providing one
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mike Hardy

    I think there is an NTP driver for this device. For the hardware device
    driver, you will have to look to Symmetricom or write your own. Writing
    a hardware device driver is not for the faint at heart! You need an
    excellent knowledge of how the hardware works and how the O/S you are
    using interfaces with devices. An error in a device driver has the
    potential to crash the system!

    I'm fairly certain that Symmetricomm offers some software support
    (device drivers, etc.) for some operating systems and hardware platforms
    but you will need to get the details from them.

  3. Re: Symmetricom BC635 reference clock for linux

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Michael Hardy wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone developed the reference clock to the symmetricom BC635PCI card under linux? There was chatter on this but the thread ended. The name Rob appeared in the thread an it appeared he developed the driver. I would greatly appreciate help getting this reference clock since symmetricom appears to have no interest in providing one
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Mike Hardy
    >>

    > I think there is an NTP driver for this device. For the hardware device
    > driver, you will have to look to Symmetricom or write your own. Writing
    > a hardware device driver is not for the faint at heart! You need an
    > excellent knowledge of how the hardware works and how the O/S you are
    > using interfaces with devices. An error in a device driver has the
    > potential to crash the system!
    >
    > I'm fairly certain that Symmetricomm offers some software support
    > (device drivers, etc.) for some operating systems and hardware platforms
    > but you will need to get the details from them.

    NTP has BC635 reference clock support as of version 4.2.4p0 in
    refclock_bancomm.c. The reference clock support does expect the
    Symmetricom driver, but it wouldn't be difficult to write one since the
    only real support needed is reading the time register. No interrupt
    support is needed and, depending on your IRIG setup, possibly no BC635
    configuration is necessary. However, the Symmetricom device driver for
    linux was only $250 one year ago, so it is hardly worth your time.

    One hint if you purchase the Symmetricom driver is that you will need to
    convert their static library (.a) into a shared library for use with
    NTP. Then configure NTP to use that shared library. This prevents
    modifying NTP to use the static library. Symmetricom provides no help
    in this arena (I asked originally) because, to paraphrase them, they
    would be competing with themselves if they helped other folks build NTP
    time boxes. Nice, huh?

    Andy

  4. Re: Symmetricom BC635 reference clock for linux

    David L. Mills wrote:
    > Greg,
    >
    > Not to put a blunt point on it, but Symmetricom did buy out all the
    > competition and skewed the product line toward extremely expensive
    > solutions. Why not put up candidate source code with appropriate
    > disclaimers, including no support whatsoever?
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > Greg Dowd wrote:
    >
    >> I don't think the issue is the competition. In the past decade, I
    >> haven't seen more than a handful of people actively trying to create
    >> refclocks for the pci card. The more likely issue is actually the

    ALL the competition?? ISTR that Meinberg Funkuhren offers a similar
    product. It's far too expensive for a hobbyist but if you really NEED
    such a thing you should expect to pay something => $1200 US.

+ Reply to Thread