clock keeps getting behind, driftfile is 0.000 - NTP

This is a discussion on clock keeps getting behind, driftfile is 0.000 - NTP ; Hi list, the time on one of our servers is incorrect despite using ntpd, I also noticed that the driftfile value is 0.000 and doesn't changed. What could be the problem? Here is our conf file: restrict default kod nomodify ...

  1. clock keeps getting behind, driftfile is 0.000

    Hi list,

    the time on one of our servers is incorrect despite using ntpd, I also
    noticed that the driftfile value is 0.000 and doesn't changed. What
    could be the problem?

    Here is our conf file:

    restrict default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
    restrict -6 default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
    restrict 127.0.0.1
    restrict -6 ::1
    server 0.nl.pool.ntp.org
    server 1.nl.pool.ntp.org
    server 2.nl.pool.ntp.org
    server 3.nl.pool.ntp.org
    fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10
    driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
    keys /etc/ntp/keys
    logconfig =all

    the driftfile is writable

    ls -l /var/lib/ntp/drift
    -rw-r--r-- 1 ntp ntp 6 May 12 23:54 /var/lib/ntp/drift

    the os is Centos 5
    ntp version ntp-4.2.2p1-7

    regards, Chantal

  2. Re: clock keeps getting behind, driftfile is 0.000

    >>> In article <20080521141904.r4w3g3tonk8wscw0@webmail.mail5.ante nna.nl>, chantal@antenna.nl writes:

    chantal> Hi list, the time on one of our servers is incorrect despite using
    chantal> ntpd, I also noticed that the driftfile value is 0.000 and doesn't
    chantal> changed. What could be the problem?

    chantal> Here is our conf file:

    Please read http://support.ntp.org/Support/AccessRestrictions .

    You can use 'ntpq -p' to see if you are syncing to any machines.

    --
    Harlan Stenn
    http://ntpforum.isc.org - be a member!

  3. Re: clock keeps getting behind, driftfile is 0.000

    On 2008-05-23, Harlan Stenn wrote:

    > chantal@antenna.nl writes:
    >
    >> the time on one of our servers is incorrect despite using ntpd, I
    >> also noticed that the driftfile value is 0.000 and doesn't changed.
    >> What could be the problem?
    >>
    >> Here is our conf file:
    >>
    >> restrict default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
    >> restrict -6 default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
    >> restrict 127.0.0.1
    >> restrict -6 ::1

    > Please read http://support.ntp.org/Support/AccessRestrictions .

    There is nothing in the OP's restrictions which block time service.

    However something else may be blocking the polls of the remote time
    servers.

    >> server 0.nl.pool.ntp.org
    >> server 1.nl.pool.ntp.org
    >> server 2.nl.pool.ntp.org
    >> server 3.nl.pool.ntp.org

    Those hostnames are valid and resolves to multiple IP addresses.

    With these server lines it will take ntpd ~ 5 minutes to achieve initial
    synchronization (assuming it is able to poll the remote time servers).
    If that is not fast enough for the OP's application then 'iburst' should
    be appended to the server lines and the initial sync time will be
    reduced to less than 20 seconds.

    Contrary to some misleading comments made in this news-group, iburst
    does not unnecessarily load the remote time servers and is generally
    considered acceptable to use.

    >> fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

    That line does nothing because the Undisciplined Local Clock has not
    been configured.

    >> keys /etc/ntp/keys

    That line does nothing because the symmetric key configuration is
    imcomplete.

    >> logconfig =all

    Does ntp 4.2.2p1 support this configuration directive?

    > You can use 'ntpq -p' to see if you are syncing to any machines.

    We need to see the output of ntpq -p to be able to diagnose the OP's
    problem.

    --
    Steve Kostecke