Re: NTP Cheat Sheet - NTP

This is a discussion on Re: NTP Cheat Sheet - NTP ; > Strange. I have an EndRun Cntp, bu it has an Ethernet interface. If 4 > works for you use it. That's a pretty grotty driver with all kinds of > bandaids to deal with long forgotten radios; I wonder ...

  1. Re: NTP Cheat Sheet

    > Strange. I have an EndRun Cntp, bu it has an Ethernet interface. If 4
    > works for you use it. That's a pretty grotty driver with all kinds of
    > bandaids to deal with long forgotten radios; I wonder why EndRun chose
    > that driver...
    >
    > Dave

    Yeah the code for the TrueTime devices is pretty hacked together last time I
    looked at it. But if it ain't broke...

    They probably chose that driver because it supports the generic Sysplex time
    format (which is what I think the EndRun outputs), a lot of mainframes and
    such still use that format.

  2. Re: NTP Cheat Sheet

    Jason,

    Of the timecode formats specified in the 9037 support document, only the
    Spectracom format is available in products currently manufactured. See
    http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/dat...ef/bof/ibm.pdf. One of my
    consulting clients is searching for a way to synchronize a 9037 to an
    NTP server, so I proposed using an NTP device driver that would emulate
    a Spectracom clock. It would be easy to do.

    I have similar experience as you with PPS; we get 0-2 us. However,
    experience with a secondary server synchronized to a PPS primar server
    varies a lot, depending on the NIC and system. Nominal 30 us jitter, but
    systematic offsets up to 1.8 ms (on Sunses).

    Dave

    Jason Rabel wrote:
    >>Strange. I have an EndRun Cntp, bu it has an Ethernet interface. If 4
    >>works for you use it. That's a pretty grotty driver with all kinds of
    >>bandaids to deal with long forgotten radios; I wonder why EndRun chose
    >>that driver...
    >>
    >>Dave

    > Yeah the code for the TrueTime devices is pretty hacked together last time I
    > looked at it. But if it ain't broke...
    >
    > They probably chose that driver because it supports the generic Sysplex time
    > format (which is what I think the EndRun outputs), a lot of mainframes and
    > such still use that format.

+ Reply to Thread