Problem monitoring NTP synchronization status - NTP

This is a discussion on Problem monitoring NTP synchronization status - NTP ; Hi there. I did just set up a Linux box to time synchronize to a Cisco router. I would like to have a way to know whenever the Linux box stops synchronizing (because of any network connecticity issue, for instance). ...

  1. Problem monitoring NTP synchronization status

    Hi there. I did just set up a Linux box to time synchronize to a Cisco
    router. I would like to have a way to know whenever the Linux box
    stops synchronizing (because of any network connecticity issue, for
    instance). any ideas?

  2. Re: Problem monitoring NTP synchronization status

    eespejel@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi there. I did just set up a Linux box to time synchronize to a Cisco
    > router. I would like to have a way to know whenever the Linux box
    > stops synchronizing (because of any network connecticity issue, for
    > instance). any ideas?

    Poll it with an NTP client and check the stratum. Use ntpq to check the
    stratum. If it is using the kernel time discipline, monitor the kernel
    estimate of error (and possibly the state of the kernel discipline).

    Note that a lost server doesn't mean the time is wrong, as it will coast
    along with the last known frequency correction.

  3. Re: Problem monitoring NTP synchronization status

    On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 3:50 PM, wrote:
    > Hi there. I did just set up a Linux box to time synchronize to a Cisco
    > router. I would like to have a way to know whenever the Linux box
    > stops synchronizing (because of any network connecticity issue, for
    > instance). any ideas?

    Run a script on the Linux box that periodically calls "ntpq -q
    localhost", then parses the output. The script should check that the
    line for Cisco your router begins with an asterisk in the ntpq -q output.
    This means your router has been selected as the synchronization source
    by the clock filter. If it doesn't have an asterisk, have the script
    do whatever alert action you want - email, syslog, etc.

    If you have more than one server configured in your ntpd, you will
    have to add some smarts to handle or ignore those as appropriate.

    I do not have an example script, unfortunately.

    --
    RPM

  4. Re: Problem monitoring NTP synchronization status

    eespejel@gmail.com writes:

    >Hi there. I did just set up a Linux box to time synchronize to a Cisco
    >router. I would like to have a way to know whenever the Linux box
    >stops synchronizing (because of any network connecticity issue, for
    >instance). any ideas?

    $!/bin/sh
    if ! ntpq|grep '* name.of.router'>/dev/null; then
    mail -s "NTP sync has been lost" your.name@youremil.com
    fi

    And put the shell script into crontab to run every minute.
    (your milage may vary)

  5. Re: Problem monitoring NTP synchronization status

    >$!/bin/sh
    >if ! ntpq|grep '* name.of.router'>/dev/null; then
    > mail -s "NTP sync has been lost" your.name@youremil.com
    >fi
    >
    >And put the shell script into crontab to run every minute.
    >(your milage may vary)

    That could lead to a lot of clutter in your mailbox.

  6. Re: Problem monitoring NTP synchronization status

    hal-usenet@ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net (Hal Murray) writes:

    >>$!/bin/sh
    >>if ! ntpq|grep '* name.of.router'>/dev/null; then
    >> mail -s "NTP sync has been lost" your.name@youremil.com
    >>fi
    >>
    >>And put the shell script into crontab to run every minute.
    >>(your milage may vary)

    >That could lead to a lot of clutter in your mailbox.

    Yup, it sure could. But you would know when something went wrong.

    (Of course you could become more sophisticated and not send the mail if the
    last time the shell ran, mail was sent, etc. ) All I am pointing out to the
    Op is that running a cron shell can be used to notify. How often he wants
    to be notified, etc, it up to him.

  7. Re: Problem monitoring NTP synchronization status

    >>> In article , eespejel@gmail.com writes:

    eespejel> Hi there. I did just set up a Linux box to time synchronize to a
    eespejel> Cisco router. I would like to have a way to know whenever the
    eespejel> Linux box stops synchronizing (because of any network connecticity
    eespejel> issue, for instance). any ideas?

    http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Supp...ControllingNTP

    --
    Harlan Stenn
    http://ntpforum.isc.org - be a member!