Windows Won't Syncronize to NTP - NTP

This is a discussion on Windows Won't Syncronize to NTP - NTP ; I can't get a Windows Client to sync to my NTP server. All Linux clients work fine. Here is the info from my ntp.conf: driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift restrict 127.0.0.1 restrict mask 255.255.224.0 nomodify notrap server 0.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst server 1.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst server ...

  1. Windows Won't Syncronize to NTP

    I can't get a Windows Client to sync to my NTP server. All Linux
    clients work fine.

    Here is the info from my ntp.conf:

    driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
    restrict 127.0.0.1
    restrict mask 255.255.224.0 nomodify notrap
    server 0.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst
    server 1.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst
    server 2.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst

    Here is the tcpdump and ntpd -d info:

    TCP DUMP OUTPUT:

    13:02:19.440054 IP .ntp > .ntp: NTPv3, symmetric
    active, length 48

    ntpd -d output

    receive: at 447 cent.ntp<-winclient mode 1 code 5 auth 0
    transmit: at 447 cent.ntp->winclient mode 1

    IPTables is off for testing

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Windows Won't Syncronize to NTP

    Perhaps authentication is causing some trouble.

    Try adding "disable auth" temporarily to help
    narrow it down.

  3. Re: Windows Won't Syncronize to NTP

    "Matthew Lind" wrote in message

    > I can't get a Windows Client to sync to my NTP server.
    > All Linux clients work fine.

    [...]
    > TCP DUMP OUTPUT:
    >
    > 13:02:19.440054 IP .ntp > .ntp: NTPv3,
    > symmetric active, length 48

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Don't do that. W32Time is asking to be a peer, which it has absolutely
    no business to.

    There have been recent posts (last two weeks or so) about how
    to add a byte at the end of the name to request a less abusive
    relationship with the NTP server.

    Groetjes,
    Maarten Wiltink

  4. Re: Windows Won't Syncronize to NTP

    starlight@binnacle.cx wrote:
    > Perhaps authentication is causing some trouble.
    >
    > Try adding "disable auth" temporarily to help
    > narrow it down.

    That won't help.

    w32time does not support the same authentication as ntpd. Also,
    authentication in ntpd is used to let the client verify the reply it
    receives has really been sent by the configured NTP server.

    When the server receives a request without signature it also just sends a
    reply without signature.

    If the w32time client sends "symmetric active" requests it should be
    re-configured to send normal "client" requests, as expected for this type
    of operation. See:
    http://www.meinberg.de/english/faq/faq_28.htm

    Martin
    --