Re: 1 Machine, 2 NICs, 2 Instances of ntpd;Possible? - NTP

This is a discussion on Re: 1 Machine, 2 NICs, 2 Instances of ntpd;Possible? - NTP ; > We don't know what you are trying to do since you haven't told us. I apologize for the lack of clarity. I want one ntpd instance to discipline the local clock with time from servers on network A. I ...

  1. Re: 1 Machine, 2 NICs, 2 Instances of ntpd;Possible?

    > We don't know what you are trying to do since you haven't told us.

    I apologize for the lack of clarity.

    I want one ntpd instance to discipline the local clock with time from
    servers
    on network A. I want the other instance to serve the local time to
    clients on
    network B.

    Thank you

    Johnny

  2. Re: 1 Machine, 2 NICs, 2 Instances of ntpd; Possible?

    On 2008-03-10, Johnson, John-P63914 wrote:

    > I want one ntpd instance to discipline the local clock with time from
    > servers on network A. I want the other instance to serve the local
    > time to clients on network B.

    Once instance of ntpd is all that is necessary to perform both of these
    tasks at the same time.

    Why do you feel you need two instances?

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  3. Re: 1 Machine, 2 NICs, 2 Instances of ntpd; Possible?

    Johnson, John-P63914 wrote:

    >>We don't know what you are trying to do since you haven't told us.

    > I apologize for the lack of clarity.
    >
    > I want one ntpd instance to discipline the local clock with time from
    > servers
    > on network A. I want the other instance to serve the local time to
    > clients on
    > network B.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Johnny

    I don't see why you need, or believe you need, two instances of ntpd.
    One should do it all.

    If you'll tell us what platform you are running on, perhaps someone can
    assist you with setting up the routing; it's not terribly difficult on
    any of the platforms I've worked with.

  4. Re: 1 Machine, 2 NICs, 2 Instances of ntpd; Possible?

    Steve Kostecke wrote:
    > On 2008-03-10, Johnson, John-P63914 wrote:
    >
    >> I want one ntpd instance to discipline the local clock with time from
    >> servers on network A. I want the other instance to serve the local
    >> time to clients on network B.

    If you had two instances, the B side instance would have to be
    configured to serve the local clock, which would mean that it would be
    claiming a falsely high time quality. Part of the information
    transmitted downstream, is the cumulative estimate of errors received
    from upstream. It would also mean that failures of the A side would
    never be communicated to the B side (this is a problem with using the
    local clock driver even in more conventional configurations).

    > Once instance of ntpd is all that is necessary to perform both of these
    > tasks at the same time.

    I quite agree.

    > Why do you feel you need two instances?

+ Reply to Thread