symmetricom / BC635 openBSD (or freeBSD) driver - NTP

This is a discussion on symmetricom / BC635 openBSD (or freeBSD) driver - NTP ; I have a bc635 gps card that I would like to use to donate NTP services to pool.ntp.org. I have downloaded the freeBSD driver and attempted to compile with the driver with the following results: btfp.h:424:5: warning: "OPSYS" is not ...

  1. symmetricom / BC635 openBSD (or freeBSD) driver

    I have a bc635 gps card that I would like to use to donate NTP
    services to pool.ntp.org.

    I have downloaded the freeBSD driver and attempted to compile with the
    driver with the following results:
    btfp.h:424:5: warning: "OPSYS" is not defined
    btfp.h:424:12: warning: "FreeBSD" is not defined
    btfp.c: In function 'btfp_attach':
    btfp.c:203: warning: passing argument 4 of 'bus_setup_intr' from
    incompatible pointer type
    btfp.c:203: warning: passing argument 5 of 'bus_setup_intr' from
    incompatible pointer type
    btfp.c:203: error: too few arguments to function 'bus_setup_intr'
    *** Error code 1

    Ideally, I would like this running on an openBSD machine. If someone
    has the compiled drivers for either OS, please let me know, and I'll
    try to get a stratum one / GPS machine in the pool.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: symmetricom / BC635 openBSD (or freeBSD) driver

    agallo wrote:
    > I have a bc635 gps card that I would like to use to donate NTP
    > services to pool.ntp.org.
    >
    > I have downloaded the freeBSD driver and attempted to compile with the
    > driver with the following results:
    > btfp.h:424:5: warning: "OPSYS" is not defined
    > btfp.h:424:12: warning: "FreeBSD" is not defined
    > btfp.c: In function 'btfp_attach':
    > btfp.c:203: warning: passing argument 4 of 'bus_setup_intr' from
    > incompatible pointer type
    > btfp.c:203: warning: passing argument 5 of 'bus_setup_intr' from
    > incompatible pointer type
    > btfp.c:203: error: too few arguments to function 'bus_setup_intr'
    > *** Error code 1
    >

    > Ideally, I would like this running on an openBSD machine. If someone
    > has the compiled drivers for either OS, please let me know, and I'll
    > try to get a stratum one / GPS machine in the pool.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I am not familiar with the freeBSD driver, but we purchased the Linux
    driver from Symmetricom, I believe for around $250. I do not know
    whether Symmetricom offers OpenBSD/FreeBSD driver, but you could
    certainly ask. That said, the "driver" really only needs to read two
    32bit registers to retrieve time (i.e. implement the bcReadBinTime()
    call). It would be very easy to write such a driver if you cannot get
    the freeBSD driver to work.

    Andy

  3. Re: symmetricom / BC635 openBSD (or freeBSD) driver

    Thanks for the quick reply.

    Symmetricom actually has the freeBSD source code, which I am trying to
    compile without success. As far as writing a driver, that's a bit beyond my
    skill level

    Thanks.

    On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Andy Helten
    wrote:

    > agallo wrote:
    > > I have a bc635 gps card that I would like to use to donate NTP
    > > services to pool.ntp.org.
    > >
    > > I have downloaded the freeBSD driver and attempted to compile with the
    > > driver with the following results:
    > > btfp.h:424:5: warning: "OPSYS" is not defined
    > > btfp.h:424:12: warning: "FreeBSD" is not defined
    > > btfp.c: In function 'btfp_attach':
    > > btfp.c:203: warning: passing argument 4 of 'bus_setup_intr' from
    > > incompatible pointer type
    > > btfp.c:203: warning: passing argument 5 of 'bus_setup_intr' from
    > > incompatible pointer type
    > > btfp.c:203: error: too few arguments to function 'bus_setup_intr'
    > > *** Error code 1
    > >

    > > Ideally, I would like this running on an openBSD machine. If someone
    > > has the compiled drivers for either OS, please let me know, and I'll
    > > try to get a stratum one / GPS machine in the pool.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > I am not familiar with the freeBSD driver, but we purchased the Linux
    > driver from Symmetricom, I believe for around $250. I do not know
    > whether Symmetricom offers OpenBSD/FreeBSD driver, but you could
    > certainly ask. That said, the "driver" really only needs to read two
    > 32bit registers to retrieve time (i.e. implement the bcReadBinTime()
    > call). It would be very easy to write such a driver if you cannot get
    > the freeBSD driver to work.
    >
    > Andy

  4. Re: symmetricom / BC635 openBSD (or freeBSD) driver

    Try removing/disabling all the interrupt support in btfp.c. NTP uses
    the driver in a polled manner, so no interrupt support is necessary when
    running with NTP.

    Andy

    Andrew Gallo wrote:
    > Thanks for the quick reply.
    >
    > Symmetricom actually has the freeBSD source code, which I am trying to
    > compile without success. As far as writing a driver, that's a bit
    > beyond my skill level
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Andy Helten
    > > wrote:
    >

    > agallo wrote:
    > > I have a bc635 gps card that I would like to use to donate NTP
    > > services to pool.ntp.org .
    > >
    > > I have downloaded the freeBSD driver and attempted to compile

    > with the
    > > driver with the following results:
    > > btfp.h:424:5: warning: "OPSYS" is not defined
    > > btfp.h:424:12: warning: "FreeBSD" is not defined
    > > btfp.c: In function 'btfp_attach':
    > > btfp.c:203: warning: passing argument 4 of 'bus_setup_intr' from
    > > incompatible pointer type
    > > btfp.c:203: warning: passing argument 5 of 'bus_setup_intr' from
    > > incompatible pointer type
    > > btfp.c:203: error: too few arguments to function 'bus_setup_intr'
    > > *** Error code 1
    > >

    > > Ideally, I would like this running on an openBSD machine. If

    > someone
    > > has the compiled drivers for either OS, please let me know, and I'll
    > > try to get a stratum one / GPS machine in the pool.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > I am not familiar with the freeBSD driver, but we purchased the Linux
    > driver from Symmetricom, I believe for around $250. I do not know
    > whether Symmetricom offers OpenBSD/FreeBSD driver, but you could
    > certainly ask. That said, the "driver" really only needs to read two
    > 32bit registers to retrieve time (i.e. implement the bcReadBinTime()
    > call). It would be very easy to write such a driver if you cannot get
    > the freeBSD driver to work.
    >
    > Andy

  5. Re: symmetricom / BC635 openBSD (or freeBSD) driver

    The driver was written for FreeBSD, not OpenBSD.

    It's under a BSD license, feel free to port it.

    Rob