May sound like a newbe question, but.... - NTP

This is a discussion on May sound like a newbe question, but.... - NTP ; May sound like a newbe question, but am I wrong or earlier Windows clients were syncing with NTP ? The problem is simple: A big building, about 350-400 Windows XP PCs, and 2 Linux servers not only for NTP, but ...

  1. May sound like a newbe question, but....

    May sound like a newbe question, but am I wrong or earlier Windows
    clients were syncing with NTP ?

    The problem is simple: A big building, about 350-400 Windows XP PCs,
    and 2 Linux servers not only for NTP, but for it too... Now today, on
    my laptop I had to edit the registry of the XP, so it could sync with
    the NTP. Does some one have an idea, how to skip the registry editing,
    and may be edit the servers configuration ... So I will not have to go
    to every PC and start the reg file I made ...

    Please if someone know how to make the damn Windows sync with the
    NTPs, it would be great..

  2. Re: May sound like a newbe question, but....

    VFikov wrote:
    > May sound like a newbe question, but am I wrong or earlier Windows
    > clients were syncing with NTP ?
    >
    > The problem is simple: A big building, about 350-400 Windows XP PCs,
    > and 2 Linux servers not only for NTP, but for it too... Now today, on
    > my laptop I had to edit the registry of the XP, so it could sync with
    > the NTP. Does some one have an idea, how to skip the registry editing,
    > and may be edit the servers configuration ... So I will not have to go
    > to every PC and start the reg file I made ...
    >
    > Please if someone know how to make the damn Windows sync with the
    > NTPs, it would be great..

    Perhaps you could install NTP on the Windows clients? Here is a
    ready-to-install download:

    http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

    Cheers,
    David

  3. Re: May sound like a newbe question, but....

    On 8 , 09:39, "David J Taylor" this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    > VFikov wrote:
    > > May sound like a newbe question, but am I wrong or earlier Windows
    > > clients were syncing with NTP ?

    > > The problem is simple: A big building, about 350-400 Windows XP PCs,
    > > and 2 Linux servers not only for NTP, but for it too... Now today, on
    > > my laptop I had to edit the registry of the XP, so it could sync with
    > > the NTP. Does some one have an idea, how to skip the registry editing,
    > > and may be edit the servers configuration ... So I will not have to go
    > > to every PC and start the reg file I made ...

    > > Please if someone know how to make the damn Windows sync with the
    > > NTPs, it would be great..

    > Perhaps you could install NTP on the Windows clients? Here is a
    > ready-to-install download:
    >
    > http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Yes, was thinking about it, but 350-400 PC an only one guy like me ...
    that will be like a month or may be month and a half

  4. Re: May sound like a newbe question, but....

    VFikov wrote:
    > On 8 , 09:39, "David J Taylor"
    []
    >> Perhaps you could install NTP on the Windows clients? Here is a
    >> ready-to-install download:
    >>
    >> http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> David

    > Yes, was thinking about it, but 350-400 PC an only one guy like me ...
    > that will be like a month or may be month and a half

    I believe that installation works with the usual automatic roll-out tools.
    There may be some discussion earlier in this newsgroup.

    Cheers,
    David

  5. Re: May sound like a newbe question, but....

    On 8 Март, 09:57, "David J Taylor" this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    > VFikov wrote:
    > > On 8 *ÁÒÔ, 09:39, "David J Taylor"
    > []
    > >> Perhaps you could install NTP on the Windows clients? Here is a
    > >> ready-to-install download:

    > >>http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

    > >> Cheers,
    > >> David

    > > Yes, was thinking about it, but 350-400 PC an only one guy like me ...
    > > that will be like a month or may be month and a half

    > I believe that installation works with the usual automatic roll-out tools.
    > There may be some discussion earlier in this newsgroup.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Ok, i will have a look...

  6. Re: May sound like a newbe question, but....

    VFikov wrote:
    > May sound like a newbe question, but am I wrong or earlier Windows
    > clients were syncing with NTP ?
    >
    > The problem is simple: A big building, about 350-400 Windows XP PCs,
    > and 2 Linux servers not only for NTP, but for it too... Now today, on
    > my laptop I had to edit the registry of the XP, so it could sync with
    > the NTP. Does some one have an idea, how to skip the registry editing,
    > and may be edit the servers configuration ... So I will not have to go
    > to every PC and start the reg file I made ...
    >
    > Please if someone know how to make the damn Windows sync with the
    > NTPs, it would be great..

    See the white paper "The Windows Time Service" by Shala Brandolini and
    Darin Green

    The document is available from many web sites in either Word format or PDF.

    You are still going to have to write a small script to configure and
    start the time service and then execute it on each machine. Note that
    you are not going to get really "tight" synchronization this way. All
    the machines should be within a minute or less. You might get tighter
    synch but you can't count on it. It was only intended to keep clocks
    close enough together to allow Kerberos authentication to function properly.

    If you need agreement to within 500 milliseconds or less, I think that
    ntpd is the only solution.

    If you have a Windows "Domain", all members of the domain will get their
    time from the domain controller. The time will be as correct as the
    clock on the domain controller. NOTHING guarantees the correctness of
    the time on the domain controller.

  7. Re: May sound like a newbe question, but....

    VFikov wrote:
    > May sound like a newbe question, but am I wrong or earlier Windows
    > clients were syncing with NTP ?
    >
    > The problem is simple: A big building, about 350-400 Windows XP PCs,
    > and 2 Linux servers not only for NTP, but for it too... Now today, on
    > my laptop I had to edit the registry of the XP, so it could sync with
    > the NTP. Does some one have an idea, how to skip the registry editing,
    > and may be edit the servers configuration ... So I will not have to go
    > to every PC and start the reg file I made ...

    Which registry entries did you have to edit?
    Couldn't this be done using some sort of "net time ..." command which can be
    run from a login script?

    Martin
    --
    Martin Burnicki

    Meinberg Funkuhren
    Bad Pyrmont
    Germany

  8. Re: May sound like a newbe question, but....

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > VFikov wrote:
    >> May sound like a newbe question, but am I wrong or earlier Windows
    >> clients were syncing with NTP ?
    >>
    >> The problem is simple: A big building, about 350-400 Windows XP PCs,
    >> and 2 Linux servers not only for NTP, but for it too... Now today, on
    >> my laptop I had to edit the registry of the XP, so it could sync with
    >> the NTP. Does some one have an idea, how to skip the registry editing,
    >> and may be edit the servers configuration ... So I will not have to go
    >> to every PC and start the reg file I made ...
    >>
    >> Please if someone know how to make the damn Windows sync with the
    >> NTPs, it would be great..

    > Perhaps you could install NTP on the Windows clients? Here is a
    > ready-to-install download:
    >
    > http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

    Just for completeness:
    In order to simplify installation on a large number of Windows clients that
    installer also supports unattended installation using a file with the
    desired settings.

    Martin
    --
    Martin Burnicki

    Meinberg Funkuhren
    Bad Pyrmont
    Germany

  9. Re: May sound like a newbe question, but....

    Vifkov wrote:
    > May sound like a newbe question, but am I wrong or earlier Windows
    > clients were syncing with NTP ?
    >
    > The problem is simple: A big building, about 350-400 Windows XP PCs,
    > and 2 Linux servers not only for NTP, but for it too... Now today, on
    > my laptop I had to edit the registry of the XP, so it could sync with
    > the NTP. Does some one have an idea, how to skip the registry editing,
    > and may be edit the servers configuration ... So I will not have to go
    > to every PC and start the reg file I made ...
    >
    > Please if someone know how to make the damn Windows sync with the
    > NTPs, it would be great..

    Do you have a domain configured using Windows Server 2003? If so, NTP
    can be enabled on all machines in the domain, by only changing settings
    on the Server 2003 machine. I help setup a small school (~60 machines)
    to do this and it appeared to work. I will say I never took the time to
    find out how well it worked or whether it is still working today. But
    when that was setup I know for certain the three or four machines I
    checked did sync up with the Server 2003 machine (or synced with the
    public NTP servers we used, not sure which).

    Of course if you don't already have a Server 2003 machine, this requires
    learning about Server 2003. Still, it is an option and, with 350-400
    machines, it would probably be worthwhile.

    Andy

  10. Re: May sound like a newbe question, but....

    On Mar 8, 2:13*am, VFikov wrote:
    > Please if someone know how to make the damn Windows sync with the
    > NTPs, it would be great..

    With a netowrk that large, I assume you have an Active Directory
    domain. If so, client will automatically sync with their domain
    controllers.

    If you want the clients to do something else, such as sync with non-
    domain controllers, or update their clocks more frequently, you can do
    that as well. Windos Group Policy is your friend, and no scripting is
    required. See:
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

    If you want to install and configure the reference ntpd on all
    machines, you will probabyl have to do some scripting using the
    Meinberg installer.

  11. Re: May sound like a newbe question, but....

    VFikov wrote:

    > The problem is simple: A big building, about 350-400 Windows XP PCs,
    > and 2 Linux servers not only for NTP, but for it too... Now today, on
    > my laptop I had to edit the registry of the XP, so it could sync with
    > the NTP. Does some one have an idea, how to skip the registry editing,
    > and may be edit the servers configuration ... So I will not have to go
    > to every PC and start the reg file I made ...

    > Please if someone know how to make the damn Windows sync with the
    > NTPs, it would be great..

    If you just want to adjust the server they contact for syncing (and not the
    other settings) you could modify the local dns (if you control that) to
    make 'time.windows.com' point to your local timeserver.

    Koos van den Hout

    --
    Koos van den Hout, herding Suns and networks as koos@cs.uu.nl
    +31-30-2534104 PGP keyid 0x27513781

  12. Re: May sound like a newbe question, but....

    Koos,

    Koos van den Hout wrote:
    > If you just want to adjust the server they contact for syncing (and not
    > the other settings) you could modify the local dns (if you control that)
    > to make 'time.windows.com' point to your local timeserver.

    Though this may be a working solution IMHO this is pretty ugly since other
    users/admins could be misguided by this setup.

    If synchronization would not work for a client the user would put the shame
    on time.microsoft.com, which is not justified, at least in that case ;-))

    Martin
    --
    Martin Burnicki

    Meinberg Funkuhren
    Bad Pyrmont
    Germany

  13. Re: May sound like a newbe question, but....

    Martin Burnicki writes:

    >Koos,

    >Koos van den Hout wrote:
    >> If you just want to adjust the server they contact for syncing (and not
    >> the other settings) you could modify the local dns (if you control that)
    >> to make 'time.windows.com' point to your local timeserver.

    >Though this may be a working solution IMHO this is pretty ugly since other
    >users/admins could be misguided by this setup.

    >If synchronization would not work for a client the user would put the shame
    >on time.microsoft.com, which is not justified, at least in that case ;-))

    It may not belong on time.microsoft.com but does on microsoft by making it
    hard to use any other server.

    >Martin
    >--
    >Martin Burnicki

    >Meinberg Funkuhren
    >Bad Pyrmont
    >Germany

  14. Re: May sound like a newbe question, but....

    On Mar 12, 11:33*am, Unruh wrote:
    > It may *not belong on time.microsoft.com but does on microsoft by makingit
    > hard to use any other server.

    Using another NTP server isn't hard on Windows, in fact it is dead
    simple and easier than configuring the reference ntpd implementation,
    especially in a Windows Acrive Directory domain. There is, in fact,
    zero configuration required for most environments. If you want to
    change things, you can change the time servers on 100s clients with a
    few clicks in Group Policy Editor. There is no scripting needed.

    If you don't have AD in your network, or just like scripting, you can,
    of course script things as much as you want. You could:
    - Call w32tm /configure from a startup batch file
    - Use VBscript in Windows Scripting Host at startup or login or even
    remotely from a central "controller" machine
    - use regedit files in a script
    - use kixtart, perl, or any other scripting language available that
    can modify the registry

  15. Re: May sound like a newbe question, but....

    Martin Burnicki wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:

    []
    >> http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

    > Just for completeness:
    > In order to simplify installation on a large number of Windows
    > clients that installer also supports unattended installation using a
    > file with the desired settings.
    >
    > Martin

    Martin, thanks for that reminder. I've added it to my main link to your
    installer.

    Cheers,
    David