Re: Time reset - NTP

This is a discussion on Re: Time reset - NTP ; Hi Harlan, After going through the system logs it is found that approximately at the time when reset occurred (2-3 few minutes back) crond started its weekly routines. To make sure I ran "run-parts /etc/cron.weekly" and found that the system ...

  1. Re: Time reset

    Hi Harlan,

    After going through the system logs it is found that approximately
    at the time when reset occurred (2-3 few minutes back) crond started
    its weekly routines. To make sure I ran "run-parts /etc/cron.weekly" and
    found that the system time went off by 2 secs then to 4 secs.

    So its true that when CPU load is high, kernel might be loosing ticks.
    When I repeated the same in other clients the drift was in the order of
    few milliseconds. I suppose it has something to do with the amount
    of CPU load and disk I/O when crond performs its tasks.

    Venu

  2. Re: Time reset

    Venu,

    > Hi Harlan,
    >
    > After going through the system logs it is found that approximately
    > at the time when reset occurred (2-3 few minutes back) crond started
    > its weekly routines. To make sure I ran "run-parts /etc/cron.weekly" and
    > found that the system time went off by 2 secs then to 4 secs.
    >
    > So its true that when CPU load is high, kernel might be loosing ticks.
    > When I repeated the same in other clients the drift was in the order of
    > few milliseconds. I suppose it has something to do with the amount
    > of CPU load and disk I/O when crond performs its tasks.

    What tasks are specified in cron.weekly?

    Could you run them one by one to see which one produces the time slew?

    Do you also observe time slews if you run other tasks which cause much disk
    and/or network I/O?

    Martin
    --
    Martin Burnicki

    Meinberg Funkuhren
    Bad Pyrmont
    Germany

  3. Re: Time reset

    "Venu Gopal" wrote in message
    news:875dfa3d0803050019h225a4fa8lb6402bb25224d66d@ mail.gmail.com...
    [...]
    > So its true that when CPU load is high, kernel might be loosing ticks.
    > When I repeated the same in other clients the drift was in the order of
    > few milliseconds. I suppose it has something to do with the amount
    > of CPU load and disk I/O when crond performs its tasks.

    More often disk I/O then CPU load. And then often because DMA is disabled.
    Could you check that?

    Groetjes,
    Maarten Wiltink

+ Reply to Thread