GPS with PPS without any soldering requirements? - NTP

This is a discussion on GPS with PPS without any soldering requirements? - NTP ; Hi, Are there any cheap GPS receivers which emit a PPS signal and can be used directly without any soldering? E.g. usb or rs232. Folkert van Heusden -- Multitail - gibkaja utilita po sledovaniju log-fajlov i vyvoda kommand. Fil'trovanie, raskrašivanie, ...

  1. GPS with PPS without any soldering requirements?

    --

    Multitail - gibkaja utilita po sledovaniju log-fajlov i vyvoda
    kommand. Fil'trovanie, raskrašivanie, slijanie, vizual'noe sravnenie,

  2. Re: GPS with PPS without any soldering requirements?

    Folkert van Heusden wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Are there any cheap GPS receivers which emit a PPS signal and can be
    > used directly without any soldering? E.g. usb or rs232.

    Forget the USB. USB has unpredictable latencies that make it a poor
    choice for timing.

    If you can't, or won't, use a soldering iron, you can pay someone to do
    it for you. It's possible that someone could be persuaded to buy a case
    at a time, add a DB-9 or DB-25 connector and 5V power supply and resell
    them as "Plug-N-Play".

  3. Re: GPS with PPS without any soldering requirements?

    Once upon a time, Richard B. Gilbert said:
    >Forget the USB. USB has unpredictable latencies that make it a poor
    >choice for timing.

    The way I finally got mine working in a stable setup was to use USB for
    the NMEA statements and put the PPS signal over a pin on the parallel
    port (using shm_splc2 to get the PPS from there to ntpd) since I didn't
    have an available serial port.

    This way I also don't need another power source.
    --
    Chris Adams

  4. Re: GPS with PPS without any soldering requirements?

    cmadams@hiwaay.net (Chris Adams) writes:
    > The way I finally got mine working in a stable setup was to use USB for
    > the NMEA statements and put the PPS signal over a pin on the parallel
    > port (using shm_splc2 to get the PPS from there to ntpd) since I didn't
    > have an available serial port.

    The moral is: don't buy a computer without a serial port

    > This way I also don't need another power source.

    You can also draw power from a USB port without actually connecting a
    USB device or transferring any data over it.

    DES
    --
    Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@des.no

  5. Re: GPS with PPS without any soldering requirements?

    Once upon a time, Dag-Erling Smørgrav said:
    >cmadams@hiwaay.net (Chris Adams) writes:
    >> The way I finally got mine working in a stable setup was to use USB for
    >> the NMEA statements and put the PPS signal over a pin on the parallel
    >> port (using shm_splc2 to get the PPS from there to ntpd) since I didn't
    >> have an available serial port.

    >The moral is: don't buy a computer without a serial port

    Well, I have a serial port, but it is the serial console. Not many PC
    type systems (including servers) come with _two_ serial ports anymore.
    Many still come with a parallel port (that is otherwise unused). I
    could have added a PCI serial card, but then I still would have needed
    to get power from somewhere.

    >> This way I also don't need another power source.

    >You can also draw power from a USB port without actually connecting a
    >USB device or transferring any data over it.

    Yeah, I looked at that, but I've got an SVeeSix, and it is rated to draw
    a little more power than you are allowed as an unconfigured USB device.
    So, I used a USB-to-RS232 interface (DLP-2232M) to get both signal and
    power.

    --
    Chris Adams

  6. Re: GPS with PPS without any soldering requirements?

    cmadams@hiwaay.net (Chris Adams) writes:
    > Dag-Erling Smørgrav writes:
    > > The moral is: don't buy a computer without a serial port

    > Well, I have a serial port, but it is the serial console. Not many PC
    > type systems (including servers) come with _two_ serial ports anymore.

    Sure they do, the second is usually a header on the mobo, you just have
    to get an extension slot cover with a DB9 connector and a flat cable.

    DES
    --
    Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@des.no

  7. Re: GPS with PPS without any soldering requirements?

    On Feb 11, 8:16 am, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:

    > Forget the USB. USB has unpredictable latencies that make it a poor
    > choice for timing.

    Doesn't the USB protocol have an isochronous mode that guarantees real-
    time, predictable communication? I'm not an USB expert, just
    wondering whether it could actually be used for timing purposes, even
    if the NMEA message itself is not used, but rather its mere delivery
    as a proxy for the timing pulse.

    TIA

  8. Re: GPS with PPS without any soldering requirements?

    Evandro Menezes writes:
    > Doesn't the USB protocol have an isochronous mode that guarantees real-
    > time, predictable communication?

    In theory, but once you throw a hub into the mix, it gets hairy.

    DES
    --
    Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@des.no

  9. Re: GPS with PPS without any soldering requirements?

    =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= writes:

    >cmadams@hiwaay.net (Chris Adams) writes:
    >> The way I finally got mine working in a stable setup was to use USB for
    >> the NMEA statements and put the PPS signal over a pin on the parallel
    >> port (using shm_splc2 to get the PPS from there to ntpd) since I didn't
    >> have an available serial port.

    >The moral is: don't buy a computer without a serial port

    >> This way I also don't need another power source.

    >You can also draw power from a USB port without actually connecting a
    >USB device or transferring any data over it.

    Sure, which would mean he would have three connections-- one to usb, one to
    serial and one to parallel . Now that is what I have, but it is hardly
    idea.

    >DES
    >--
    >Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@des.no

  10. Re: GPS with PPS without any soldering requirements?

    Dag-Erling,

    Correct. That was the plan for my latest Intel motherboard. Problem is,
    Intel wired the motherboard header backwards. My SIIG serial port card
    comes up COM5, COM6,..., but my favorite old program requires COM1 or COM2.

    Dave

    Dag-Erling Smřrgrav wrote:

    > cmadams@hiwaay.net (Chris Adams) writes:
    >
    >>Dag-Erling Smørgrav writes:
    >>
    >>>The moral is: don't buy a computer without a serial port

    >>Well, I have a serial port, but it is the serial console. Not many PC
    >>type systems (including servers) come with _two_ serial ports anymore.

    > Sure they do, the second is usually a header on the mobo, you just have
    > to get an extension slot cover with a DB9 connector and a flat cable.
    >
    > DES

  11. Re: GPS with PPS without any soldering requirements?

    Folkert,

    Take a look at http://www.cnssys.com/cnsclock/CNSClockII.html.

    Paul

  12. Re: GPS with PPS without any soldering requirements?

    On 2008-02-12, Paul.Croome@softwareag.com wrote:

    > Take a look at http://www.cnssys.com/cnsclock/CNSClockII.html.

    Is it really worth spending $1400 instead of $100 just to avoid soldering?

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  13. Re: GPS with PPS without any soldering requirements?

    Paul.Croome@softwareag.com writes:

    >Folkert,

    >Take a look at http://www.cnssys.com/cnsclock/CNSClockII.html.

    Of course that is $1400 rather than $60. For that $1300 you could probably
    hire a neighborhood kid to do the soldering for you.

    >Paul

  14. Re: GPS with PPS without any soldering requirements?

    folkert@vanheusden.com (Folkert van Heusden) writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Are there any cheap GPS receivers which emit a PPS signal and can be
    > used directly without any soldering? E.g. usb or rs232.

    Except from cheap, a Meinberg LANTIME might solve your problem
    (http://www.meinberg.de). I'm afraid you cannot have both, cheap and perfect.

    Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread