NTP Dictionary - NTP

This is a discussion on NTP Dictionary - NTP ; When did this change from proventic to provenentic? Or has all the eggnog made me fuzzy? provenentic. Formally, this is the relation formed from the transitive closure of the authentic relation. This comes from Autokey slang. Greg Dowd gdowd at ...

  1. NTP Dictionary

    When did this change from proventic to provenentic? Or has all the
    eggnog made me fuzzy?

    provenentic. Formally, this is the relation formed from the transitive
    closure of the authentic relation. This comes from Autokey slang.

    Greg Dowd
    gdowd at symmetricom dot com (antispam format)
    Symmetricom, Inc.
    www.symmetricom.com
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert
    Einstein

  2. Re: NTP Dictionary

    Greg,

    Same time I changed in step with common electrical engineering practice
    from capacitator to capacitor, yea from megacycle to megahertz.

    Dave

    Greg Dowd wrote:

    > When did this change from proventic to provenentic? Or has all the
    > eggnog made me fuzzy?
    >

    > provenentic. Formally, this is the relation formed from the transitive
    > closure of the authentic relation. This comes from Autokey slang.
    >

    > Greg Dowd
    > gdowd at symmetricom dot com (antispam format)
    > Symmetricom, Inc.
    > www.symmetricom.com
    > "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert
    > Einstein

  3. Re: NTP Dictionary

    In article <477C5EF3.6010401@udel.edu>, David L. Mills wrote:
    >Same time I changed in step with common electrical engineering practice
    >from capacitator to capacitor, yea from megacycle to megahertz.

    Yeah but a megahertz crossing the wheatstone bridge just isn't as
    funny.

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

  4. Re: NTP Dictionary

    Rod,

    Don't get me started. If you are really ancient, you can cite the
    naughty color code "bad boys..." and if from dinosaur era you know the
    significance of the swinging-choke song "Dance with me Henry".

    Gawd, does anybody even know what a swinging choke is? As I said, con't
    get me started...

    Dave

    Rod Dorman wrote:
    > In article <477C5EF3.6010401@udel.edu>, David L. Mills wrote:
    >
    >>Same time I changed in step with common electrical engineering practice

    >>from capacitator to capacitor, yea from megacycle to megahertz.

    > Yeah but a megahertz crossing the wheatstone bridge just isn't as
    > funny.

  5. Re: NTP Dictionary

    In article ,
    David L. Mills wrote:
    >Don't get me started. If you are really ancient, you can cite the
    >naughty color code "bad boys..." and if from dinosaur era you know the
    >significance of the swinging-choke song "Dance with me Henry".

    You can tag me as "really ancient" then :-)

    Is that no longer being taught? What took its place?

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

  6. Re: NTP Dictionary

    David L. Mills wrote:
    > Rod,
    >
    > Don't get me started. If you are really ancient, you can cite the
    > naughty color code "bad boys..." and if from dinosaur era you know the
    > significance of the swinging-choke song "Dance with me Henry".
    >
    > Gawd, does anybody even know what a swinging choke is? As I said, con't
    > get me started...
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > Rod Dorman wrote:
    > > In article <477C5EF3.6010401@udel.edu>, David L. Mills wrote:
    > >
    > >>Same time I changed in step with common electrical engineering practice

    > >>from capacitator to capacitor, yea from megacycle to megahertz.

    > > Yeah but a megahertz crossing the wheatstone bridge just isn't as
    > > funny.

    Ah, yes! Fond memories from long bygone Amateur Radio days. I and
    another Ham used a swinging choke in a pi-network for a 2KW RF (tube)
    amplifier we built many, many moons ago. (We even wound the power
    transformer, as a learning experience). But I never learnt the song.

    But I can still recite
    "Bad boys r... o... y... g... b... v... gives willingly" -
    Oh, the stuff that sticks in one's brain!

    Dean

  7. Re: NTP Dictionary

    Rod,

    Well, I reveal the dirty secret to my students on the condition they
    never reveal it came from me. As for the swinging choke, I explain the
    magnetic principles of its operation and I get a dumb stare.

    Dave

    Rod Dorman wrote:

    > In article ,
    > David L. Mills wrote:
    >
    >>Don't get me started. If you are really ancient, you can cite the
    >>naughty color code "bad boys..." and if from dinosaur era you know the
    >>significance of the swinging-choke song "Dance with me Henry".

    > You can tag me as "really ancient" then :-)
    >
    > Is that no longer being taught? What took its place?

  8. Re: NTP Dictionary

    Was that last week? Is it sufficient to quote the 70 page Autokey draft
    which we've all been reviewing? Otherwise, I'll get mean and start
    quoting "das buch" whose index shows no less than 5 references to
    proventic and none to provenentic.

    A client can claim authentic to dependent applications only if all
    servers on the path to the primary servers are bone-fide authentic.
    In order to emphasize this requirement, in this report the notion of
    "authentic" is replaced by "proventic", a noun new to English and
    derived from provenance, as in the provenance of a painting. Having
    abused the language this far, the suffixes fixable to the various
    noun and verb derivatives of authentic will be adopted for proventic
    as well. In NTP each server authenticates the next lower stratum
    servers and proventicates (authenticates by induction) the lowest
    stratum (primary) servers. Serious computer linguists would
    correctly interpret the proventic relation as the transitive closure
    of the authentic relation.

    Greg Dowd wrote:

    > When did this change from proventic to provenentic? Or has all the
    > eggnog made me fuzzy?
    >

    > provenentic. Formally, this is the relation formed from the transitive

    > closure of the authentic relation. This comes from Autokey slang.
    >

    > Greg Dowd
    > gdowd at symmetricom dot com (antispam format) Symmetricom, Inc.
    > www.symmetricom.com
    > "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler"
    > Albert Einstein

  9. Re: NTP Dictionary

    Greg,

    I stand by the sentence that begins "Having abuse the language this
    far..." To resolve the issue, one would havd to consult the dictionary
    to establish the allowable suffixed of "authentic".

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread