The NTP dictionary - NTP

This is a discussion on The NTP dictionary - NTP ; Folks, I've been collecting words for the NTP dictionary that has evolved over the last two decades. The vocabulary is a subset of what some editors have come to call millsspeak. If you read my papers, book and messaging, you ...

  1. The NTP dictionary

    Folks,

    I've been collecting words for the NTP dictionary that has evolved over
    the last two decades. The vocabulary is a subset of what some editors
    have come to call millsspeak. If you read my papers, book and messaging,
    you know what they mean. The vocabulary is routinely abused; new words
    have been fabricated, old ones purposely misused and the rules of
    English cheerfully ignored.

    Following is an initial list probably blamed on me. I invite further
    submissions and interpretations. However, they must be peculiar to the
    NTP community.

    chime. A synonym for synchronize, as in: "That server gives good chime,"
    or "Can I chime your server?"

    timewarp. An unstable server, as in "Your server threw a timewarp last
    night and all my applications tanked."

    truechimer. To a computer scientist a loyal Byzantine general. To a
    computer timekeeper a trusted clock.

    falseticker. To a computer scientist a traitor Albanian general. To a
    computer network timekeeper an outlyer or two-faced clock.

    huff-n'-puff filter. An algorithm used to improve chime when either the
    outbound leg or inbound leg, but not both, has extreme jitter.

    popcorn spike suppressor. An algorithm used to delete infrequent but
    very large offset or delay spikes.

    kiss-o'-death packet. An NTP packet with leap indicator and stratum 0
    resulting from an error condition at the server. The reference ID field
    contains the error code, called a kiss code.

    Autokey. To a classic cryptographer a particular type of chaining
    cipher. To a computer network timekeeper a specific security protocol

    Manycast. A derivative of the anycast paradigm where the result is a
    plurality of servers, not just a single one.

    tally code. The first character in the ntpq pe display for each server.

    flasher. The bits of flash field of the ntpq rv display for each server.

    provenentic. Formally, this is the relation formed from the transitive
    closure of the authentic relation. This comes from Autokey slang.

    Dave

  2. Re: The NTP dictionary

    "David L. Mills" writes:
    > provenentic. Formally, this is the relation formed from the transitive
    > closure of the authentic relation. This comes from Autokey slang.

    You just made this one up, didn't you?

    DES
    --
    Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@des.no

  3. Re: The NTP dictionary

    Dag,

    Of course I made it up or it wouldn't be in be in the NTP dictionary.
    The term and its derivatives are presented in the Autokey document.
    Maybe even the formal definition might work it's way into the scientific
    dictionary; there is merit.

    Dave

    Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
    > "David L. Mills" writes:
    >
    >>provenentic. Formally, this is the relation formed from the transitive
    >>closure of the authentic relation. This comes from Autokey slang.

    > You just made this one up, didn't you?
    >
    > DES

+ Reply to Thread