Dimensioning & Configuring the NTP Server - NTP

This is a discussion on Dimensioning & Configuring the NTP Server - NTP ; Hi Hi Iam planning to have NTP Server for something around 50,000 Clients in the Network Can Anyone guide me in dimensioning the NTP Server. What are the guidelines that I should take care for dimensioning the NTP Server Also ...

  1. Dimensioning & Configuring the NTP Server

    Hi

    Hi

    Iam planning to have NTP Server for something around 50,000 Clients in
    the Network

    Can Anyone guide me in dimensioning the NTP Server. What are the
    guidelines that I should take care for dimensioning the NTP Server

    Also can I two NTP Servers running in active-stand by or in Load
    balancing scenario in the same network

    Regards

    Vivek Aggarwal

  2. Re: Dimensioning & Configuring the NTP Server

    Hi,

    Aggarwal Vivek-Q4997C wrote:
    > Iam planning to have NTP Server for something around 50,000 Clients in
    > the Network
    >
    > Can Anyone guide me in dimensioning the NTP Server. What are the
    > guidelines that I should take care for dimensioning the NTP Server

    Real NTP clients with standard configuration sent queries once every 64
    seconds, so 50,000 clients would produce a load of less than 800
    (50,000/64) req/s. This can be handled easily by a standard PC, or by
    dedicated NTP servers as the Meinberg LANTIME devices.

    Normally the clients would also drop the request rate down to 1 request
    every 1024 seconds, so the actual load will be even lower.

    > Also can I two NTP Servers running in active-stand by or in Load
    > balancing scenario in the same network

    You can just install several NTP servers for redundancy, and configure the
    clients to use all of them.

    However, using exactly 2 NTP servers is a bad choice. If the 2 servers
    disagree on the right time (for whatever reason) then the clients are
    unable to decide which of the servers to follow.

    If you install 3 NTP servers and one of them is faulty then the clients will
    automatically be able to identify the outlyer and thus ignore it. For
    redundancy reasons (i.e. if 1 server is temporarily unreachable) the usual
    advice here is to configure at least 4 NTP servers.

    Regards,

    Martin
    --
    Martin Burnicki

    Meinberg Funkuhren
    Bad Pyrmont
    Germany

  3. Re: Dimensioning & Configuring the NTP Server

    "Martin Burnicki" wrote in message
    [...]
    > However, using exactly 2 NTP servers is a bad choice. If the 2 servers
    > disagree on the right time (for whatever reason) then the clients are
    > unable to decide which of the servers to follow.

    This is true under the assumption that both are configured with
    independent external time sources. However, if one is designated the
    backup and only takes its time from the primary, the clients will
    only ever believe it if the primary is unreachable.

    Care should be taken not to configure both with local clocks at the
    same stratum, since that will un-break the assumption again if the
    primary loses its time sources. The secondary should have the local
    clock driver at a stratum two worse than the primary.

    Not configuring local clocks is always an option, however, I think it
    is usually more desireable to have an isolated flock drift away together,
    with a single disconnected source, rather than all of them drifting at
    random.

    Groetjes,
    Maarten Wiltink

+ Reply to Thread