NTP Server Setup - NTP

This is a discussion on NTP Server Setup - NTP ; I need to configure a Windows 2003 Server as an NTP server. All of our internal users, servers and network infrastructure equipment will point to this NTP server for updates. What is the best way to setup a Windows 2003 ...

  1. NTP Server Setup

    I need to configure a Windows 2003 Server as an NTP server. All of our
    internal users, servers and network infrastructure equipment will point to
    this NTP server for updates. What is the best way to setup a Windows 2003
    server as an NTP server?

    Thanks for the help.

    Joe

  2. Re: NTP Server Setup

    "Prekop, Joe Jr." wrote in message
    news:514E167644783F4CBCD14C88D4617CCCBAE562@EX55VM 2...

    > I need to configure a Windows 2003 Server as an NTP server. All of our
    > internal users, servers and network infrastructure equipment will point
    > to this NTP server for updates. What is the best way to setup a Windows
    > 2003 server as an NTP server?

    Installing NTP on it would seem indicated. And disabling Windows Time,
    and telling it where to get _its_ time.

    There's an NTP wiki that undoubtedly has a checklist.

    Groetjes,
    Maarten Wiltink

  3. Re: NTP Server Setup

    Prekop, Joe Jr. schrieb:
    > I need to configure a Windows 2003 Server as an NTP server. All of our
    > internal users, servers and network infrastructure equipment will point to
    > this NTP server for updates. What is the best way to setup a Windows 2003
    > server as an NTP server?

    You could use our NTP Installer for Windows which offers the following
    functionality (most of it is optional and can be deselected during
    installation):

    - install the current stable NTP version (4.2.4p4) on your system
    - sets up a service called NTP which starts NTPD automatically at system
    startup
    - creates a special user account which has limited privileges and which
    is used to run the service (=security bugs in NTPD would not result in
    an Administrator level access if someone uses that bug to attack your
    machine)
    - disables the w32time service of Windows
    - creates an initial configuration file for you
    - adds a few items to your start menu in order to allow you to control
    the service, edit the configuration file, access the documentation and
    related websites and check the status of NTP (using ntpq)

    The installer offers an "unattended mode" which allows you to run it on
    client machines without the need for user interaction (by pre-specifying
    all required parameters in an INI file), this helps a lot to
    automatically install NTP on hundreds or thousands of machines.

    Well, enough buzz :-) It is free and can be downloaded here:

    http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

    (you should choose the "modena" version)

    And please take a look at the Time Server Monitor application which
    could be considered a GUI for NTP on Windows.

    If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask them here or
    via email (ntp-support@meinberg.de).

    Best regards,
    Heiko

  4. Re: NTP Server Setup

    Maarten Wiltink wrote:
    > "Prekop, Joe Jr." wrote in message
    > news:514E167644783F4CBCD14C88D4617CCCBAE562@EX55VM 2...
    >
    >> I need to configure a Windows 2003 Server as an NTP server. All of our
    >> internal users, servers and network infrastructure equipment will point
    >> to this NTP server for updates. What is the best way to setup a Windows
    >> 2003 server as an NTP server?

    > Installing NTP on it would seem indicated. And disabling Windows Time,
    > and telling it where to get _its_ time.

    I appreciate this advice very much. However, there may be circumstances
    where it may be preferable to stay with w32time rather than to install NTP.

    If the server is a domain controller and the clients (also running w32time,
    which is often sufficient for the clients) shall automatically use it as
    their time source then it may be wise to keep w32time on the DC. If you
    replace w32time on the DC by NTP then the domain members will not
    automatically identify the DC as their preferred time server.

    Of course you could configure the clients manually and tell them which time
    server to use, but this may be a lot of work if there are a huge number of
    clients. Maybe it's possible to set up a group policy for the clients
    telling them which time server to use. However, I haven't tried that.

    On the other hand, w32time clients will synchronize to a w32time server only
    if that server is synchronized. This is similar to NTP and basically a good
    thing.

    However, if the time on the DC is disciplined by some other means, e.g. a
    radio clock which comes with it's own driver, then the time server service
    has to be configured such that it doesn't try to discipline the system
    time, too, but just "knows" it is synchronized and passes the time to the
    clients.

    This is hard to do with w32time. There are some registry parameters which
    seem to have been introduced for this purpose. However, some tests here
    have shown that it depends strongly on the w32time version whether this
    works correctly or not. We have had a case where this worked for exactly 1
    day, and then w32time stopped serving the time to its clients.

    Configuring ntpd for this scenario is much easier. Just configure the local
    clock with a good stratum as the only reference time source, and it's done.

    It's also preferable to install NTP if

    1.) the server is not a domain controller, i.e. there are no clients which
    would try to identify their time server automatically

    2.) there are other "real" NTP clients which might not synchronize to
    w32time, which is (except for very recent versions) just a SNTP server

    If you have a Windows domain and you want to use your own reference time
    source without much administrative work then you can either:

    1.) install a standalone NTP server and configure the PDC to synchronize to
    it

    2.) install NTP on a different machine, and let the w32time service on the
    DC and all "real" NTP clients synchronize to that machine

    Martin
    --
    Martin Burnicki

    Meinberg Funkuhren