time delta between clients - NTP

This is a discussion on time delta between clients - NTP ; Rick Jones writes: >Steve Kostecke wrote: >> My GPS18LVC works through a standard US residential roof. But you >> probably have lots of metal in the way. So ... YMWV >Yep - basic concrete, steel and glass US office building ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 44 of 44

  1. Re: time delta between clients

    Rick Jones writes:

    >Steve Kostecke wrote:
    >> My GPS18LVC works through a standard US residential roof. But you
    >> probably have lots of metal in the way. So ... YMWV

    >Yep - basic concrete, steel and glass US office building - in this
    >case a "standard" HP "BigFoot" building.

    No idea what a "bigfoot" building is.
    But if you have window access that should be fine. Your receiver will see
    half the sky.

    >rick jones
    >--
    >oxymoron n, Hummer H2 with California Save Our Coasts and Oceans plates
    >these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    >feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

  2. Re: time delta between clients

    Rick Jones wrote:
    > Rick Jones wrote:
    >> I suppose I could also try to see if I can get the powers that be to
    >> spring for a GPS18 and see if I can indeed get signal in the machine
    >> room(s) of interest.

    > Before I did that I borrowed a hand-held GPS receiver (Magellan
    > "Crossover" IIRC) from someone. Admittedly it will not be a match for
    > the GPS18, and may have a "weaker" receiver. But given that _all_
    > signal went poof when I entered the building, I suspect the GPS18,
    > unless it is much more sensitive, would have lost all signal too
    >
    > rick jones

    Rick,

    The GPS18 is not a very sensitive receiver - nothing like as good as the
    more recent SiRFstarIII receivers (e.g. Garmin GPSmap 60CSx). It does
    need an outdoor location, or one with little RF attenuation.

    Cheers,
    David

  3. Re: time delta between clients

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > The GPS18 is not a very sensitive receiver - nothing like as good as
    > the more recent SiRFstarIII receivers (e.g. Garmin GPSmap 60CSx).
    > It does need an outdoor location, or one with little RF attenuation.

    Hmm, I wonder if they will ever merge the two

    rick jones

  4. Re: time delta between clients

    Rick Jones wrote:
    > Steve Kostecke wrote:
    >> My GPS18LVC works through a standard US residential roof. But you
    >> probably have lots of metal in the way. So ... YMWV

    > Yep - basic concrete, steel and glass US office building - in this
    > case a "standard" HP "BigFoot" building.
    >
    > rick jones

    And in your case, probably the lab is totally interior space with no
    windows at all.

    Danny

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3