Slightly OT: "Amateur Time Hackers Play With Atomic Clocks at Home" - NTP

This is a discussion on Slightly OT: "Amateur Time Hackers Play With Atomic Clocks at Home" - NTP ; Interesting article: http://www.wired.com/science/discove...2/time_hackers Supplemental picture gallery: http://www.wired.com/science/discove..._hackersThanks to Joel McClung for pointing this one out!Cheers,David...

  1. Slightly OT: "Amateur Time Hackers Play With Atomic Clocks at Home"

    Interesting article:
    http://www.wired.com/science/discove...2/time_hackers

    Supplemental picture gallery:
    http://www.wired.com/science/discove..._hackersThanks to Joel McClung for pointing this one out!Cheers,David

  2. Re: Slightly OT: "Amateur Time Hackers Play With Atomic Clocks at Home"

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Interesting article:
    > http://www.wired.com/science/discove...2/time_hackers

    Hmm, didn't know that Agilent was HP's former R&D arm Also, to the
    best of my knowledge and surfing of Agilent's website[1], they have no
    Sunnyvale location

    A bit of creative license I suppose, but just how much creative
    license is permissible in an article about people keeping accurate
    time?-)

    rick jones

    [1] http://www.jobs.agilent.com/locations/usa.html

  3. Re: Slightly OT: "Amateur Time Hackers Play WithAtomic Clocks at Home"

    > From: Rick Jones
    > Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 22:29:45 +0000 (UTC)
    > Sender: questions-bounces+oberman=es.net@lists.ntp.org
    >

    > David J Taylor wrote:
    > > Interesting article:
    > > http://www.wired.com/science/discove...2/time_hackers

    > Hmm, didn't know that Agilent was HP's former R&D arm Also, to the
    > best of my knowledge and surfing of Agilent's website[1], they have no
    > Sunnyvale location
    >
    > A bit of creative license I suppose, but just how much creative
    > license is permissible in an article about people keeping accurate
    > time?-)
    >

    > rick jones
    >
    > [1] http://www.jobs.agilent.com/locations/usa.html

    Agilent Labs is the R&D arm of Agilent Technology and was once the R&D
    part of HP before spun off its instrumentation business into Agilent. So
    the first statement is correct if you add the word "Labs" after Agilent.

    The campus is actually located in Santa Clara, not Sunnyvale, but it's
    easy to miss the fact that you have crossed from one to the other and
    mailing addresses often don't match with government boundaries.

    On the whole (and not knowing much about atomic clocks), I thought it
    was a fairly good article.
    --
    R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
    Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

  4. Re: Slightly OT: "Amateur Time Hackers Play With?Atomic Clocks at Home"

    Kevin Oberman wrote:
    > Agilent Labs is the R&D arm of Agilent Technology and was once the
    > R&D part of HP before spun off its instrumentation business into
    > Agilent. So the first statement is correct if you add the word
    > "Labs" after Agilent.

    Well, what is Agilent Labs was once _part_ of HP Labs, the R&D
    (researchy) part of Hewlett-Packard.

    > The campus is actually located in Santa Clara, not Sunnyvale, but
    > it's easy to miss the fact that you have crossed from one to the
    > other and mailing addresses often don't match with government
    > boundaries.

    Admittedly, even after 19 years here, the whole area feels like one
    extended suburb to me, but I thought that to get from where Agilent
    sits on Stevens Creek Blvd in Santa Clara, to Sunnyvale, one first
    went through Cupertino

    > On the whole (and not knowing much about atomic clocks), I thought it
    > was a fairly good article.

    Agreed.

    rick jones

  5. Re: Slightly OT: "Amateur Time Hackers Play With Atomic Clocks atHome"

  6. Re: Slightly OT: "Amateur Time Hackers Play WithAtomic Clocks at Home"

    Rick Jones wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >> Interesting article:
    >> http://www.wired.com/science/discove...2/time_hackers

    > Hmm, didn't know that Agilent was HP's former R&D arm Also, to the
    > best of my knowledge and surfing of Agilent's website[1], they have no
    > Sunnyvale location

    Agilent was the former medical and scientific instruments divisions.

    Danny

    > A bit of creative license I suppose, but just how much creative
    > license is permissible in an article about people keeping accurate
    > time?-)
    >

    > rick jones
    >
    > [1] http://www.jobs.agilent.com/locations/usa.html

+ Reply to Thread