Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista - NTP

This is a discussion on Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista - NTP ; On Dec 3, 2:28 pm, "David L. Mills" wrote: > Yes, the nanocode is aware that individual CPU clock rates can differ > and vary over time. Since the only purpose is to interpolate between > timer interrupts (Alpha) or ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 56 of 56

Thread: Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

  1. Re: Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

    On Dec 3, 2:28 pm, "David L. Mills" wrote:

    > Yes, the nanocode is aware that individual CPU clock rates can differ
    > and vary over time. Since the only purpose is to interpolate between
    > timer interrupts (Alpha) or second overflows (FreeBSD), all the code
    > does is count the number of PCC cycles since the last interrupt to
    > construct a divisor to scale the PCC accordinly. It does this once each
    > second for every CPU.


    Forgive me for my persistence, but on some OS'es, such as Windows and
    Linux, the CPU frequency of a certain core can vary by more than 2x,
    depending on system load and the power savings profile. for example,
    I had one such server with 2 dual-core processors and its frequency
    could vary between 1GHz when the system was idling to 2.2GHz under
    heavy load. The CPU clock governor could go between both extremes
    within the same second. Can the code handle such situation?

    Thanks for your reply.

  2. Re: Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Danny Mayer wrote:
    > []
    >> You need to run the OpenSSL build first to create that directory. Just
    >> follow the instructions.
    >>
    >> Danny

    >
    > Danny,
    >
    > I'm afraid the build didn't work for me, so I tried creating a directory
    > "openssl" in the ntp tree, and copied 33 header files from the OpenSSL
    > tree. Having done that, I got hundreds of compiler warnings about a
    > variety of topics (but not missing files), however, a .LIB file was
    > missing presumably because of the failed buld.
    >


    No, you extract the openssl files to a directory at the same level as
    ntp. Then you read the INSTALL.W32 file for instructions on how to build
    openssl. I don't build with the assembler code.

    > I find this in so many C/C++ projects - warnings which the author says to
    > "ignore those". But the missing Lib file is a fatal error. I really
    > would prefer not to write this off, so can you please:
    >


    Had you actually built the openssl code first you would not have gotten
    that error.

    > - tell me how the environment should be defined so that there is no need
    > to create the "openssl" directory and copy the headers there (I had
    > expected an entry in the ntp project definition). What is $(OPENSSL) on
    > your system? Perhaps I can match it on mine?
    >
    > - send the missing LIB file? It's \out32dll\libeay32.lib
    >
    > I'd love to help on this, but I am struggling!
    >


    You were supposed to read the instructions included with openssl. See above.

    Danny
    > Cheers,
    > David


  3. Re: Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

    Danny Mayer wrote:
    []
    > No, you extract the openssl files to a directory at the same level as
    > ntp. Then you read the INSTALL.W32 file for instructions on how to
    > build openssl. I don't build with the assembler code.


    Danny, thanks for your "encouragement" - I did do all this, of course, but
    I will pursue this further.

    >> I find this in so many C/C++ projects - warnings which the author
    >> says to "ignore those". But the missing Lib file is a fatal error.
    >> I really would prefer not to write this off, so can you please:
    >>

    >
    > Had you actually built the openssl code first you would not have
    > gotten that error.

    []
    > Danny



    That error, perhaps, but there are dozens of warnings when you compile,
    making it impossible to judge what success you have had. I come from a
    background where we expect software to compile with a "zero errors, zero
    warnings" result.

    Cheers,
    David



  4. Re: Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

    Danny,

    I have tried to follow the build instructions, but they fail at the
    command:

    call ms\do_ms

    at the line:

    ___________________________________
    D:\Temp\NTP\openssl-0.9.8g.tar\openssl-0.9.8g>perl util\mk1mf.pl no-asm
    VC-CE 1
    >ms\ce.mak

    %OSVERSION% is not defined at util/pl/VC-32.pl line 41.
    Compilation failed in require at util\mk1mf.pl line 138.

    ___________________________________

    and then when running:

    nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak

    I get:

    ___________________________________
    cl /Fotmp32dll\cversion.obj -Iinc32 -Itmp32dll /MD /Ox /O2 /Ob2
    /W3 /WX
    /Gs0 /GF /Gy
    /nologo -DOPENSSL_SYSNAME_WIN32 -DWIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN -DL_ENDIAN -
    DDSO_WIN32 -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE -D_CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE -DOPENSSL_USE_
    APPLINK -I.
    /Fdout32dll -DOPENSSL_NO_CAMELLIA -DOPENSSL_NO_SEED -DOPENSSL_NO_RC5
    -DOPENSSL_NO_MDC2 -DOPENSSL_NO_TLSEXT -DOPENSSL_NO_KRB5 -DOPENSSL_NO_DYNAMIC_EN
    GINE -D_WINDLL -DOPENSSL_BUILD_SHLIBCRYPTO -DMK1MF_BUILD -DMK1MF_PLATFORM_VC_WI
    N32 -c .\crypto\cversion.c
    cversion.c
    ..\crypto\cversion.c(105) : error C2220: warning treated as error - no
    'object' f
    ile generated
    ..\crypto\cversion.c(105) : warning C4129: 'T' : unrecognized character
    escape se
    quence
    ..\crypto\cversion.c(105) : warning C4129: 'N' : unrecognized character
    escape se
    quence
    ..\crypto\cversion.c(105) : warning C4129: 'o' : unrecognized character
    escape se
    quence
    ..\crypto\cversion.c(105) : warning C4129: '/' : unrecognized character
    escape se
    quence
    NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"E:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
    8\VC\BIN\c
    l.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
    Stop.
    ___________________________________

    Errors like this in (I believe) released software just leave me stuck, I'm
    afraid. Yes, I appreciate you didn't write this code or the command
    procedure.

    Cheers,
    David



  5. Re: Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

    >>> In article , "David J Taylor" writes:

    David> That error, perhaps, but there are dozens of warnings when you
    David> compile, making it impossible to judge what success you have had. I
    David> come from a background where we expect software to compile with a
    David> "zero errors, zero warnings" result.

    I'd like that too. And we are slowly working on it. And the biggest source
    of warnings in the beast come from the OpenSSL headers.

    And there are places where we quiet warnings for one compiler/platform and
    they spring up on another compiler/platform.

    It is tricky...
    --
    Harlan Stenn
    http://ntpforum.isc.org - be a member!

  6. Re: Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Danny Mayer wrote:
    > []
    >
    >>No, you extract the openssl files to a directory at the same level as
    >>ntp. Then you read the INSTALL.W32 file for instructions on how to
    >>build openssl. I don't build with the assembler code.

    >
    >
    > Danny, thanks for your "encouragement" - I did do all this, of course, but
    > I will pursue this further.


    >
    > That error, perhaps, but there are dozens of warnings when you compile,
    > making it impossible to judge what success you have had. I come from a
    > background where we expect software to compile with a "zero errors, zero
    > warnings" result.


    That can be extremely difficult to achieve over multiple platforms and
    compilers.
    It is made more difficult because various compiler accept different
    deviations from the standard. I believe that gcc is notorious for that
    and there may well be others.

    In the days when I was porting Unixish C code to OpenVMS, I used the
    compiler options that demanded "maximum rectitude" for compliance with
    the then ANSI standard. (I believe the standard changed several times
    since I last did this.) This found a couple of actual bugs and quite a
    bit of what I considered "sleazy coding" which I did my best to clean
    up. I added zillions of missing function declarations, corrected
    function declarations that falsely claimed that a function returned
    something that it did not or vice versa. . . .



  7. Re: Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    []
    > That can be extremely difficult to achieve over multiple platforms and
    > compilers.


    Multi-platform must make zero warnings many times more difficult - I can
    appreciate that.

    > It is made more difficult because various compiler accept different
    > deviations from the standard. I believe that gcc is notorious for
    > that and there may well be others.


    Standards - don't you love it when there are so many to choose from!

    > In the days when I was porting Unixish C code to OpenVMS, I used the
    > compiler options that demanded "maximum rectitude" for compliance with
    > the then ANSI standard. (I believe the standard changed several times
    > since I last did this.) This found a couple of actual bugs and quite
    > a bit of what I considered "sleazy coding" which I did my best to
    > clean up. I added zillions of missing function declarations,
    > corrected function declarations that falsely claimed that a function
    > returned something that it did not or vice versa. . . .


    I know I much prefer the far fewer variants of Windows compared to the
    multiplicity of versions of Linux - people were demanding exactly this
    version of that release with those options. Oh, and they had different
    package mechanisms as well! Not good for a very small software team.

    Actually having two different teams working to the same document can lead
    to good results, though. I recall how the folks in VMS writing the
    equivalent of "chkdsk" would check disks produced by the OS writers, and
    find how different folk had interpreted different fields. I try for
    clarity rather than cleverness when coding. I may even have to maintain
    the code myself!

    Cheers,
    David



  8. Re: Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > []
    >
    >>That can be extremely difficult to achieve over multiple platforms and
    >>compilers.

    >
    >
    > Multi-platform must make zero warnings many times more difficult - I can
    > appreciate that.
    >
    >
    >>It is made more difficult because various compiler accept different
    >>deviations from the standard. I believe that gcc is notorious for
    >>that and there may well be others.

    >
    >
    > Standards - don't you love it when there are so many to choose from!
    >
    >
    >>In the days when I was porting Unixish C code to OpenVMS, I used the
    >>compiler options that demanded "maximum rectitude" for compliance with
    >>the then ANSI standard. (I believe the standard changed several times
    >>since I last did this.) This found a couple of actual bugs and quite
    >>a bit of what I considered "sleazy coding" which I did my best to
    >>clean up. I added zillions of missing function declarations,
    >>corrected function declarations that falsely claimed that a function
    >>returned something that it did not or vice versa. . . .

    >
    >
    > I know I much prefer the far fewer variants of Windows compared to the
    > multiplicity of versions of Linux - people were demanding exactly this
    > version of that release with those options. Oh, and they had different
    > package mechanisms as well! Not good for a very small software team.
    >
    > Actually having two different teams working to the same document can lead
    > to good results, though. I recall how the folks in VMS writing the
    > equivalent of "chkdsk" would check disks produced by the OS writers, and
    > find how different folk had interpreted different fields. I try for
    > clarity rather than cleverness when coding.


    An excellent goal.

    >I may even have to maintain
    > the code myself!
    >


    Few of us are lucky enough to find someone else willing/able to maintain
    our code!! I always felt that if something needed maintenance, nobody
    else was going to do it. I tried to write code that I would be
    willing/able to maintain. I would expect to be able to maintain
    FORTRAN code I wrote thirty years ago. I used meaningful variable names
    and commented liberally. I preferred the simple and direct to the
    clever and obscure.



  9. Re: Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > That error, perhaps, but there are dozens of warnings when you compile,
    > making it impossible to judge what success you have had. I come from a
    > background where we expect software to compile with a "zero errors, zero
    > warnings" result.
    >


    I don't work on OpenSSL or you wouldn't get any though you might well do
    so with VS 2005.

    You get no errors or warnings if you if you build software that I have
    been paid to get to work, which is why you will get warnings for NTP.

    Danny

    > Cheers,
    > David
    >
    >
    > _______________________________________________
    > questions mailing list
    > questions@lists.ntp.org
    > https://lists.ntp.org/mailman/listinfo/questions
    >


  10. Re: Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

    Harlan Stenn wrote:
    >>>> In article , "David J Taylor" writes:

    >
    > David> That error, perhaps, but there are dozens of warnings when you
    > David> compile, making it impossible to judge what success you have had. I
    > David> come from a background where we expect software to compile with a
    > David> "zero errors, zero warnings" result.
    >
    > I'd like that too. And we are slowly working on it. And the biggest source
    > of warnings in the beast come from the OpenSSL headers.
    >


    And I get absolutely none when I build BIND9.

    Danny

    > And there are places where we quiet warnings for one compiler/platform and
    > they spring up on another compiler/platform.
    >
    > It is tricky...


  11. Re: Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Danny,
    >
    > I have tried to follow the build instructions, but they fail at the
    > command:
    >
    > call ms\do_ms
    >


    Start from the beginning. Delete everything and then reexport the
    compressed tar file. The top-level directory (openssl-0.9.8g) should be
    at the same level as the version of NTP that you are going to use.

    Run the following lines at the command-line prompt when you have cd to
    openssl-0.9.8g:
    >perl Configure VC-WIN32 --prefix=c:/some/openssl/dir
    >ms\do_nt
    >nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak


    and you are done.

    Danny

  12. Re: Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >> Danny Mayer wrote:
    >> []
    >>
    >>> No, you extract the openssl files to a directory at the same level as
    >>> ntp. Then you read the INSTALL.W32 file for instructions on how to
    >>> build openssl. I don't build with the assembler code.

    >>
    >> Danny, thanks for your "encouragement" - I did do all this, of course, but
    >> I will pursue this further.

    >
    >> That error, perhaps, but there are dozens of warnings when you compile,
    >> making it impossible to judge what success you have had. I come from a
    >> background where we expect software to compile with a "zero errors, zero
    >> warnings" result.

    >
    > That can be extremely difficult to achieve over multiple platforms and
    > compilers.
    > It is made more difficult because various compiler accept different
    > deviations from the standard. I believe that gcc is notorious for that
    > and there may well be others.
    >
    > In the days when I was porting Unixish C code to OpenVMS, I used the
    > compiler options that demanded "maximum rectitude" for compliance with
    > the then ANSI standard. (I believe the standard changed several times
    > since I last did this.) This found a couple of actual bugs and quite a
    > bit of what I considered "sleazy coding" which I did my best to clean
    > up. I added zillions of missing function declarations, corrected
    > function declarations that falsely claimed that a function returned
    > something that it did not or vice versa. . . .


    It depended whether you used VAXC or DECC. VAXC was quite sleazy.

    Danny

  13. Re: Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

    Danny Mayer wrote:
    []
    > Start from the beginning. Delete everything and then reexport the
    > compressed tar file. The top-level directory (openssl-0.9.8g) should
    > be at the same level as the version of NTP that you are going to use.
    >
    > Run the following lines at the command-line prompt when you have cd to
    > openssl-0.9.8g:
    >> perl Configure VC-WIN32 --prefix=c:/some/openssl/dir
    >> ms\do_nt
    >> nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak

    >
    > and you are done.
    >
    > Danny


    Thanks for your patience with this, Danny. I still can't get this to
    work, but maybe I'm doing things incorrectly. Two questions:

    1 - by the same level, I take you to mean something like this, where the
    first two files in each directory are:

    D:\Temp\NTP\ntp-4.2.4p4.tar\ntp-4.2.4p4\aclocal.m4

    D:\Temp\NTP\openssl-0.9.8g.tar\openssl-0.9.8g\ChangeLog.0_9_7-stable_not-in-head

    2 - With this structure, what directory should I specify for "prefix"
    instead of: c:/some/openssl/dir ?

    Having done this, the NMAKE step fails, and the last few lines are:

    ________________________________________________
    ..
    ..
    Copying: ./ssl/kssl.h to inc32/openssl/kssl.h
    perl util/copy.pl ms\applink.c inc32\openssl\applink.c
    Copying: ms/applink.c to inc32/openssl/applink.c
    cl /Fotmp32dll\uplink.obj -Iinc32 -Itmp32dll /MD /Ox /O2 /Ob2 /W3
    /WX /G
    s0 /GF /Gy
    /nologo -DOPENSSL_SYSNAME_WIN32 -DWIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN -DL_ENDIAN -DDS
    O_WIN32 -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE -D_CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE -DOPENSSL_SYSNAME
    _WINNT -DUNICODE -D_UNICODE -DOPENSSL_USE_APPLINK -I.
    /Fdout32dll -DOPENSSL_NO_C
    AMELLIA -DOPENSSL_NO_SEED -DOPENSSL_NO_RC5 -DOPENSSL_NO_MDC2 -DOPENSSL_NO_TLSEXT
    -DOPENSSL_NO_KRB5 -DOPENSSL_NO_DYNAMIC_ENGINE -D_WINDLL -c ms\uplink.c
    uplink.c
    ms\uplink.c(43) : error C2220: warning treated as error - no 'object' file
    generated
    ms\uplink.c(43) : warning C4996: '_swprintf': swprintf has been changed to
    conform with the ISO C standard, adding an extra character count
    parameter. To use traditional Microsoft swprintf, set
    _CRT_NON_CONFORMING_SWPRINTFS.
    E:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\INCLUDE\wchar.h(773)
    : see
    declaration of '_swprintf'
    NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"E:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
    8\VC\BIN\c
    l.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
    Stop.

    D:\Temp\NTP\openssl-0.9.8g.tar\openssl-0.9.8g>
    ________________________________________________


    Trying to build NTP, using the include files I copied before, then fails
    with:

    ________________________________________________
    1>------ Build started: Project: ntpd, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    1>Linking...
    1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file '\out32dll\libeay32.lib'
    1>Project : warning PRJ0018 : The following environment variables were not
    found:
    1>$(OPENSSL)
    1>Build log was saved at
    "file://d:\Temp\NTP\ntp-4.2.4p4.tar\ntp-4.2.4p4\ports\winnt\ntpd\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
    1>ntpd - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 1 up-to-date, 0 skipped
    ==========
    ________________________________________________


    amd if I delete the copied include files, and try to rebuild NTP, it fails
    with:

    ________________________________________________
    1>authkeys.c
    1>d:\temp\ntp\ntp-4.2.4p4.tar\ntp-4.2.4p4\include\ntp_crypto.h(5) : fatal
    error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'openssl/evp.h': No such file or
    directory
    ________________________________________________


    I hope that I am making some trivial mistake!

    Thanks,
    David



  14. Re: Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

    Danny Mayer wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >
    >>David J Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >>>Danny Mayer wrote:
    >>>[]
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>No, you extract the openssl files to a directory at the same level as
    >>>>ntp. Then you read the INSTALL.W32 file for instructions on how to
    >>>>build openssl. I don't build with the assembler code.
    >>>
    >>>Danny, thanks for your "encouragement" - I did do all this, of course, but
    >>>I will pursue this further.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>>That error, perhaps, but there are dozens of warnings when you compile,
    >>>making it impossible to judge what success you have had. I come from a
    >>>background where we expect software to compile with a "zero errors, zero
    >>>warnings" result.

    >>
    >>That can be extremely difficult to achieve over multiple platforms and
    >>compilers.
    >>It is made more difficult because various compiler accept different
    >>deviations from the standard. I believe that gcc is notorious for that
    >>and there may well be others.
    >>
    >>In the days when I was porting Unixish C code to OpenVMS, I used the
    >>compiler options that demanded "maximum rectitude" for compliance with
    >>the then ANSI standard. (I believe the standard changed several times
    >>since I last did this.) This found a couple of actual bugs and quite a
    >>bit of what I considered "sleazy coding" which I did my best to clean
    >>up. I added zillions of missing function declarations, corrected
    >>function declarations that falsely claimed that a function returned
    >>something that it did not or vice versa. . . .

    >
    >
    > It depended whether you used VAXC or DECC. VAXC was quite sleazy.
    >


    This was in the days when ANSI C was fairly new and VAXC was current.
    VAX C was basically K&R C. K&R allowed things that I believed no wise
    programmer should do! Most of them "worked" but offended my sense of
    "programming aesthetics". I used DECC and made a lot of trivial fixes
    to make it stop complaining. The original code might have worked
    "forever" without changes but I didn't feel comfortable with it so I
    "fixed" it "my way"! I still have a copy of the "make" that Tony Ivanov
    posted to comp.os.vms/info-vax ca. 1990. I think I improved it a little
    and I know I found and fixed one buffer overrun. Mine compiles without
    errors or warnings while the original had hundreds of warnings. Mine
    works too.




  15. Re: Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Danny Mayer wrote:
    > []
    >> Start from the beginning. Delete everything and then reexport the
    >> compressed tar file. The top-level directory (openssl-0.9.8g) should
    >> be at the same level as the version of NTP that you are going to use.
    >>
    >> Run the following lines at the command-line prompt when you have cd to
    >> openssl-0.9.8g:
    >>> perl Configure VC-WIN32 --prefix=c:/some/openssl/dir
    >>> ms\do_nt
    >>> nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak

    >> and you are done.
    >>
    >> Danny

    >
    > Thanks for your patience with this, Danny. I still can't get this to
    > work, but maybe I'm doing things incorrectly. Two questions:
    >
    > 1 - by the same level, I take you to mean something like this, where the
    > first two files in each directory are:
    >
    > D:\Temp\NTP\ntp-4.2.4p4.tar\ntp-4.2.4p4\aclocal.m4
    >
    > D:\Temp\NTP\openssl-0.9.8g.tar\openssl-0.9.8g\ChangeLog.0_9_7-stable_not-in-head
    >

    No. I don't know why there's a tar directory involved here. I don't use
    temp at all. My structure would look like (well you don't really want to
    look at my structures since they are bizarre at best):

    D:\ntp-4.2.4p4\
    D:\openssl-0.9.8g\

    You did extract the files didn't you?

    > 2 - With this structure, what directory should I specify for "prefix"
    > instead of: c:/some/openssl/dir ?
    >
    > Having done this, the NMAKE step fails, and the last few lines are:


    These lines are missing.

    Danny

  16. Re: Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

    Danny Mayer wrote:
    []
    > No. I don't know why there's a tar directory involved here. I don't
    > use temp at all. My structure would look like (well you don't really
    > want to look at my structures since they are bizarre at best):
    >
    > D:\ntp-4.2.4p4\
    > D:\openssl-0.9.8g\


    OK, I tried with those directories

    > You did extract the files didn't you?


    Yes

    []
    > These lines are missing.
    >
    > Danny


    Danny,

    I don't know why the lines were missing - I'll try again:


    The steps you suggested before were:

    (a) perl Configure VC-WIN32 --prefix=D:/openssl/

    (b) call ms\do_nt

    (c) nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak


    The result from (a) is:
    __________________________________
    D:\openssl-0.9.8g>perl Configure VC-WIN32 --prefix=D:/openssl/
    Configuring for VC-WIN32
    no-camellia [default] OPENSSL_NO_CAMELLIA (skip dir)
    no-gmp [default] OPENSSL_NO_GMP (skip dir)
    no-krb5 [krb5-flavor not specified] OPENSSL_NO_KRB5
    no-mdc2 [default] OPENSSL_NO_MDC2 (skip dir)
    no-rc5 [default] OPENSSL_NO_RC5 (skip dir)
    no-rfc3779 [default] OPENSSL_NO_RFC3779 (skip dir)
    no-seed [default] OPENSSL_NO_SEED (skip dir)
    no-shared [default]
    no-tlsext [default] OPENSSL_NO_TLSEXT (skip dir)
    no-zlib [default]
    no-zlib-dynamic [default]
    IsMK1MF=1
    CC =cl
    CFLAG =-DOPENSSL_THREADS -DDSO_WIN32
    EX_LIBS =
    CPUID_OBJ =
    BN_ASM =bn_asm.o
    DES_ENC =des_enc.o fcrypt_b.o
    AES_ASM_OBJ =aes_core.o aes_cbc.o
    BF_ENC =bf_enc.o
    CAST_ENC =c_enc.o
    RC4_ENC =rc4_enc.o
    RC5_ENC =rc5_enc.o
    MD5_OBJ_ASM =
    SHA1_OBJ_ASM =
    RMD160_OBJ_ASM=
    PROCESSOR =
    RANLIB =true
    ARFLAGS =
    PERL =perl
    THIRTY_TWO_BIT mode
    BN_LLONG mode
    RC4_INDEX mode
    RC4_CHUNK is undefined

    Configured for VC-WIN32.
    __________________________________


    The result from (b) is:

    __________________________________
    D:\openssl-0.9.8g>call ms\do_nt

    D:\openssl-0.9.8g>perl util\mkfiles.pl 1>MINFO

    D:\openssl-0.9.8g>perl util\mk1mf.pl no-asm VC-NT 1>ms\nt.mak

    D:\openssl-0.9.8g>perl util\mk1mf.pl dll no-asm VC-NT 1>ms\ntdll.mak

    D:\openssl-0.9.8g>perl util\mkdef.pl libeay NT 1>ms\libeay32.def

    D:\openssl-0.9.8g>perl util\mkdef.pl ssleay NT 1>ms\ssleay32.def

    __________________________________


    and the result from (c) is, with most of the "copying" messages removed:

    __________________________________
    D:\openssl-0.9.8g>nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak

    Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.762
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    Building OpenSSL
    perl util/mkdir-p.pl tmp32dll
    created directory `tmp32dll'
    perl util/mkdir-p.pl out32dll
    created directory `out32dll'
    perl util/mkdir-p.pl inc32
    created directory `inc32'
    perl util/mkdir-p.pl inc32\openssl
    created directory `inc32/openssl'
    perl util/copy.pl .\.\e_os.h tmp32dll\e_os.h
    Copying: ././e_os.h to tmp32dll/e_os.h
    perl util/copy.pl .\crypto\cryptlib.h tmp32dll\cryptlib.h
    []
    Copying: ms/applink.c to inc32/openssl/applink.c
    cl /Fotmp32dll\uplink.obj -Iinc32 -Itmp32dll /MD /Ox /O2 /Ob2 /W3
    /WX /G
    s0 /GF /Gy
    /nologo -DOPENSSL_SYSNAME_WIN32 -DWIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN -DL_ENDIAN -DDS
    O_WIN32 -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE -D_CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE -DOPENSSL_SYSNAME
    _WINNT -DUNICODE -D_UNICODE -DOPENSSL_USE_APPLINK -I.
    /Fdout32dll -DOPENSSL_NO_C
    AMELLIA -DOPENSSL_NO_SEED -DOPENSSL_NO_RC5 -DOPENSSL_NO_MDC2 -DOPENSSL_NO_TLSEXT
    -DOPENSSL_NO_KRB5 -DOPENSSL_NO_DYNAMIC_ENGINE -D_WINDLL -c ms\uplink.c
    uplink.c
    ms\uplink.c(43) : error C2220: warning treated as error - no 'object' file
    gener
    ated
    ms\uplink.c(43) : warning C4996: '_swprintf': swprintf has been changed to
    confo
    rm with the ISO C standard, adding an extra character count parameter. To
    use tr
    aditional Microsoft swprintf, set _CRT_NON_CONFORMING_SWPRINTFS.
    E:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\INCLUDE\wchar.h(773)
    : see
    declaration of '_swprintf'
    NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"E:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
    8\VC\BIN\c
    l.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
    Stop.

    D:\openssl-0.9.8g>
    __________________________________


    So I'm afraid that OpenSSL does not compile "as supplied" on this system.

    Cheers,
    David



+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3