Performance of NTP under Windows Vista? - NTP

This is a discussion on Performance of NTP under Windows Vista? - NTP ; Does anyone have any measurements of NTP running under Windows Vista? In particular, the Meinberg foehr 1520 version? Thanks, David...

  1. Performance of NTP under Windows Vista?

    Does anyone have any measurements of NTP running under Windows Vista? In
    particular, the Meinberg foehr 1520 version?

    Thanks,
    David

  2. Re: Performance of NTP under Windows Vista?

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 06:26:48 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    wrote for the
    entire planet to see:

    >Does anyone have any measurements of NTP running under Windows Vista? In
    >particular, the Meinberg foehr 1520 version?

    Hi David -

    I'll let you know when my first PC is upgraded to Vista, oh in five or six
    years maybe. Win2K is still on almost all my windows boxen. One or two
    are running XP. Good luck.

    - Eric

  3. Re: Performance of NTP under Windows Vista?

    Eric wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 06:26:48 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    > wrote for
    > the entire planet to see:
    >
    >> Does anyone have any measurements of NTP running under Windows
    >> Vista? In particular, the Meinberg foehr 1520 version?

    > Hi David -
    >
    > I'll let you know when my first PC is upgraded to Vista, oh in five
    > or six years maybe. Win2K is still on almost all my windows boxen.
    > One or two are running XP. Good luck.
    >
    > - Eric

    Thanks, Eric. Unfortunately people who are running Vista today will not
    be able to wait! Good luck with your unsupported OS.

    I've done some measurements and report here:

    http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/n...ows-Vista.html

    I don't currently understand the behaviour, as it seemed to take several
    days to reduce the offset by a hundred milliseconds (averaged), whilst
    showing a lot of intermediate noise, followed by sudden cessation of the
    noise when the offset was near zero.

    I'd love to hear from anyone who has made comparative performance
    measurements, or who has suggestions as to how to proceed.

    Thanks,
    David

  4. Re: Performance of NTP under Windows Vista?

    On Nov 19, 12:15 pm, "David J Taylor" this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    > I don't currently understand the behaviour, as it seemed to take several
    > days to reduce the offset by a hundred milliseconds (averaged), whilst
    > showing a lot of intermediate noise, followed by sudden cessation of the
    > noise when the offset was near zero.
    >
    > I'd love to hear from anyone who has made comparative performance
    > measurements, or who has suggestions as to how to proceed.

    My previous reading indicates that Vista and Server 2008 have had
    significant changes to their internal timing architecutre, mostly to
    better support multi-media and near-real-time applications, as well as
    enhanced power management. So I think, perhaps, ntpd might be making
    assumptions that no longer apply in the Vista world. I am unsure of
    the complete changes, however.

    There is also this bug in the Vista driver for the High Precision
    Event Timer, which is available on newer hardware:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933272. I would test with that patch.

    We only have Vista on laptops at the moment, with variable
    connectivity and lots of sleep/wake cycles. So we just use the built-
    in Windows Time Service, which handles those conditions well enough to
    keep things within 100ms or so. Ntpd did not behave well in my
    previous tests with various network interfaces coming on and off
    (Wired Etherenet, WiFi, and EVDO connections are used intermittently
    throughout the day on all of our laptops). Plus power modes changing
    all the time.

    I will check into deploying ntpd on Vista desktops as soon as we get
    one deployed, but we only seem to be deploying laptops these days.

  5. Re: Performance of NTP under Windows Vista?

    Ryan Malayter wrote:
    > On Nov 19, 12:15 pm, "David J Taylor" > this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    >> I don't currently understand the behaviour, as it seemed to take
    >> several days to reduce the offset by a hundred milliseconds
    >> (averaged), whilst showing a lot of intermediate noise, followed by
    >> sudden cessation of the noise when the offset was near zero.
    >>
    >> I'd love to hear from anyone who has made comparative performance
    >> measurements, or who has suggestions as to how to proceed.

    > My previous reading indicates that Vista and Server 2008 have had
    > significant changes to their internal timing architecutre, mostly to
    > better support multi-media and near-real-time applications, as well as
    > enhanced power management. So I think, perhaps, ntpd might be making
    > assumptions that no longer apply in the Vista world. I am unsure of
    > the complete changes, however.
    >
    > There is also this bug in the Vista driver for the High Precision
    > Event Timer, which is available on newer hardware:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933272. I would test with that patch.
    >
    > We only have Vista on laptops at the moment, with variable
    > connectivity and lots of sleep/wake cycles. So we just use the built-
    > in Windows Time Service, which handles those conditions well enough to
    > keep things within 100ms or so. Ntpd did not behave well in my
    > previous tests with various network interfaces coming on and off
    > (Wired Etherenet, WiFi, and EVDO connections are used intermittently
    > throughout the day on all of our laptops). Plus power modes changing
    > all the time.
    >
    > I will check into deploying ntpd on Vista desktops as soon as we get
    > one deployed, but we only seem to be deploying laptops these days.

    Thanks, Ryan. You may well be correct about the changes, but I had read
    here some time ago about the performance being "satisfactory" under Vista
    from (IIRC) Heiko who is usually quite thorough.

    Noted on the pointer to the patch, but that doesn't seem to relevant in
    that this PC is permanently on, and not rebooted. Of course, the patch
    may do more than just fix the restart issue......

    Interesting about the desktops - out of fashion!

    Cheers,
    David

+ Reply to Thread