help: ntp4 on vxworks - NTP

This is a discussion on help: ntp4 on vxworks - NTP ; Hi ntp-ians/Danny/Harlan, I am trying to compile ntp4 on vxworks5.5 and I was going through the hints document provided with the source. I understood most of the part but I had few questions at the end. It will be great ...

  1. help: ntp4 on vxworks

    Hi ntp-ians/Danny/Harlan,
    I am trying to compile ntp4 on vxworks5.5 and I was going through the
    hints document provided with the source. I understood most of the part but I
    had few questions at the end. It will be great if you can provide me your
    valuable inputs related to the following section.

    The document that I am looking at is
    http://www.cis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/h...s/vxworks.html

    * I see configure.in only in arlib directory. So do I have to update
    anything in this file?
    * Do I have to rerun autoconf and automake to regenerate the configure
    script?

    """
    The configure.in file
    needed to be altered to allow for a host-target configuration to take place.

    - The define SYS_VXWORKS was added to the compilation flags.
    - Little endianess is set if the target is of type iX86.
    - The size of char, integer, long values are all set. If Wind River
    ever changes these values they will need to be updated.
    - clock_settime() is defined to be used for setting the clock.
    - The Linking flags have -r added to allow for relinking into the
    vxWorks kernel

    Unfortunately I have had to make use of the ntp_machine.h
    file to add
    in the checks that would have been checked at linking stage by autoconf, a
    better method should be devised.

    - There is now a NO_MAIN_ALLOWED define that simulates command line
    args, this allows the use of the normal startup sysntax.
    - POSIX timers have been added.
    - Structures normally found in netdb.h have been added with, the
    corresponding code is in machines.c
    . Where
    possible the defines for these have been kept non-vxWorks specific.

    Unfortunately there are still quite a few SYS_VXWORKS type defines in the
    source, but I have eliminated as many as possible. You have the choice of
    using the usrtime.a library avaliable from the vxworks archives or forgoing
    adjtime() and using the clock_[get|set]time().The ntp_machine.h
    file
    clearly marks how to do this.
    """

    thanks

    --
    Prathap
    mobile: +91 99465 56643

  2. Re: help: ntp4 on vxworks

    >>> In article , prathapnirmal@gmail.com (Prathapnirmal) writes:

    prathapnirmal> * I see configure.in only in arlib directory. So do I have to
    prathapnirmal> update anything in this file?

    No. There will be a top-level configure.ac that might need to be updated
    though.

    prathapnirmal> * Do I have to rerun autoconf
    prathapnirmal> and automake to regenerate the configure script?

    Yes.

    prathapnirmal> """ The configure.in
    prathapnirmal> file
    prathapnirmal> needed to be altered to allow for a host-target configuration
    prathapnirmal> to take place.

    That path looks wrong to me, but that's not important.

    This should already be done.

    prathapnirmal> - The define SYS_VXWORKS was added to the compilation
    prathapnirmal> flags. - Little endianess is set if the target is of type
    prathapnirmal> iX86. - The size of char, integer, long values are all
    prathapnirmal> set. If Wind River ever changes these values they will need
    prathapnirmal> to be updated. - clock_settime() is defined to be used for
    prathapnirmal> setting the clock. - The Linking flags have -r added to
    prathapnirmal> allow for relinking into the vxWorks kernel

    prathapnirmal> Unfortunately I have had to make use of the ntp_machine.h
    prathapnirmal> file
    prathapnirmal> to add in the checks that would have been checked at linking
    prathapnirmal> stage by autoconf, a better method should be devised.

    configure should do that already - it should detect you are building for
    vxworks and set -DSYS_VXWORKS. Then, in ntp_machine.h the values will be
    chosen.

    What's the problem? This should be working as intended.

    prathapnirmal> - There is now a NO_MAIN_ALLOWED define that simulates
    prathapnirmal> command line args, this allows the use of the normal startup
    prathapnirmal> sysntax. - POSIX timers have been added. - Structures
    prathapnirmal> normally found in netdb.h have been added with, the
    prathapnirmal> corresponding code is in machines.c
    prathapnirmal> . Where
    prathapnirmal> possible the defines for these have been kept non-vxWorks
    prathapnirmal> specific.

    prathapnirmal> Unfortunately there are still quite a few SYS_VXWORKS type
    prathapnirmal> defines in the source, but I have eliminated as many as
    prathapnirmal> possible. You have the choice of using the usrtime.a library
    prathapnirmal> avaliable from the vxworks archives or forgoing adjtime() and
    prathapnirmal> using the clock_[get|set]time().The ntp_machine.h
    prathapnirmal> file
    prathapnirmal> clearly marks how to do this. """

    Are you saying you have patches to make it work for you now?