which ntpd ? OpenBSD openntpd, BSD ntpd, other ? - NTP

This is a discussion on which ntpd ? OpenBSD openntpd, BSD ntpd, other ? - NTP ; Hello, I'm a bit lose to get a good system for setting computer's clock. After asking about clockspeed vs ntpd, I choose ntpd. But it seems to exists several ntpd implementation. for example the Debian packages contains openntpd (OpenBSD NTP ...

  1. which ntpd ? OpenBSD openntpd, BSD ntpd, other ?

    Hello,
    I'm a bit lose to get a good system for setting computer's clock.
    After asking about clockspeed vs ntpd, I choose ntpd.

    But it seems to exists several ntpd implementation.
    for example the Debian packages contains openntpd (OpenBSD NTP daemon)
    which has not many configuration options, like no drift file ...
    I've found ntpd in the BSD System Manager's Manual, which has a full
    set of options.

    Please, is there one reference for NTPD daemon which I can install on
    my Linux box ?

    My need are simple :
    - getting only one computer which ask time to stratum 2 servers and
    then serves the time to my others computers.
    - not asking to much to stratum 2 servers by computing the time drift
    of the server's clock.

    Thanks for help.

  2. Re: which ntpd ? OpenBSD openntpd, BSD ntpd, other ?

    Cyrille37 wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I'm a bit lose to get a good system for setting computer's clock.
    > After asking about clockspeed vs ntpd, I choose ntpd.
    >
    > But it seems to exists several ntpd implementation.
    > for example the Debian packages contains openntpd (OpenBSD NTP daemon)
    > which has not many configuration options, like no drift file ...
    > I've found ntpd in the BSD System Manager's Manual, which has a full
    > set of options.
    >
    > Please, is there one reference for NTPD daemon which I can install on
    > my Linux box ?
    >
    > My need are simple :
    > - getting only one computer which ask time to stratum 2 servers and
    > then serves the time to my others computers.
    > - not asking to much to stratum 2 servers by computing the time drift
    > of the server's clock.
    >
    > Thanks for help.

    The reference implementation of NTP is what you're looking for. You can get
    it at http://www.ntp.org/downloads.html . OpenNTPD is something different.

    The full documentation for NTP is at
    http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/index.html .

    --
    Dennis Hilberg, Jr. timekeeper(at)dennishilberg(dot)com
    NTP Server Information: http://saturn.dennishilberg.com/ntp.php

  3. Re: which ntpd ? OpenBSD openntpd, BSD ntpd, other ?

    On 2007-11-06, Cyrille37 wrote:

    > But it seems to exists several ntpd implementation. for example the
    > Debian packages contains openntpd (OpenBSD NTP daemon) which has not
    > many configuration options, like no drift file ... I've found ntpd in
    > the BSD System Manager's Manual, which has a full set of options.

    If you want to use the Debian pre-packaged version of the NTP Reference
    Implementation from www.ntp.org install the 'ntp' package. On my Debian
    "etch" (stable) system this package is built from NTP 4.2.2p4; the ntp
    package testing and unstable branches are currently built from NTP
    4.2.4p4 (the current stable release).

    If you want to use a partial re-implementation of NTP by the OpenBSD
    developers install the 'openntpd' package.

    If you choose to compile the NTP Reference Implementation
    from www.ntp.org yourself, you will find the source code for
    the current stable release and the development snapshot at
    http://www.ntp.org/downloads.html and http://support.ntp.org/download

    Before you compile NTP on your Debian system issue the following command
    to install all of the necessary development tools/libs/etc.:

    apt-get build-dep ntp

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  4. Re: which ntpd ? OpenBSD openntpd, BSD ntpd, other ?

    Cyrille37 wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I'm a bit lose to get a good system for setting computer's clock.
    > After asking about clockspeed vs ntpd, I choose ntpd.
    >
    > But it seems to exists several ntpd implementation.
    > for example the Debian packages contains openntpd (OpenBSD NTP daemon)
    > which has not many configuration options, like no drift file ...
    > I've found ntpd in the BSD System Manager's Manual, which has a full
    > set of options.
    >
    > Please, is there one reference for NTPD daemon which I can install on
    > my Linux box ?
    >
    > My need are simple :
    > - getting only one computer which ask time to stratum 2 servers and
    > then serves the time to my others computers.
    > - not asking to much to stratum 2 servers by computing the time drift
    > of the server's clock.
    >
    > Thanks for help.

    There is a reference implementation of nptd available from ntp.org!
    Open ntpd is a different (and competing) product which is not supported
    here. The reference implementation from ntp.org requires that you have
    a C compiler (gcc will do the job).

    If you have gcc (and gmake) installed, you can do:
    ../configure
    make
    wait for a while and you're done. You may need to move the ntpd
    executable to wherever your O/S keeps executables (/bin, /usr/bin, /opt,
    .. . . .)

    There is a lot of documentation, advice, etc, available at ntp.org.

  5. Re: which ntpd ? OpenBSD openntpd, BSD ntpd, other ?

    In article <4730C0C7.8060403@comcast.net>,
    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    > Open ntpd is a different (and competing) product which is not supported

    The last time I encountered it, it was an SNTP implementation, which means
    it uses the over the wire formats, but doesn't implement all the
    algorithms. One of the parts of the algorithm that many SNTP
    implementations don't implement is the the clock frequency correction
    that was wanted here, although an SNTP could implement it and Open "ntpd"
    might.

    > here. The reference implementation from ntp.org requires that you have

    I would rather hope that someone from the open ntpd team does monitor this
    newsgroup. If they don't that would be another good reason to not use it.
    (One can reasonably expect Microsoft's w32time team not to monitor here, or
    to do so without responding, but I would hope that any open source implementor
    would monitor and respond here.)

    > a C compiler (gcc will do the job).

    It's available pre-compiled for many platforms, including most Linux
    distributions.

    One of the reasons open ntpd was supposedly created is that the
    ntpd reference implementation licence doesn't fully meet the level
    of free-ness required for Open BSD. Although its fairly clear from
    what Dave Mills has said that that is not the intention, he's not
    prepared to change it to clarify the point.

+ Reply to Thread