what about clockspeed and NTP ? - NTP

This is a discussion on what about clockspeed and NTP ? - NTP ; Hello I'm a bit confused with those 2 concepts for keeping computer on the right time : - ntpd - clockspeed and taiclock Is ntpd look at the computer's clock derivation like clockspeed do ? Is it a good idea ...

  1. what about clockspeed and NTP ?

    Hello
    I'm a bit confused with those 2 concepts for keeping computer on the
    right time :
    - ntpd
    - clockspeed and taiclock
    Is ntpd look at the computer's clock derivation like clockspeed do ?
    Is it a good idea to have clockspeed and ntpd running together on the
    same computer ?

    Thanks for you lights,
    cyrille

  2. Re: what about clockspeed and NTP ?

    Cyrille37 wrote:
    > Hello
    > I'm a bit confused with those 2 concepts for keeping computer on the
    > right time :
    > - ntpd
    > - clockspeed and taiclock
    > Is ntpd look at the computer's clock derivation like clockspeed do ?
    > Is it a good idea to have clockspeed and ntpd running together on the
    > same computer ?

    It's never a good idea to let 2 different programs try to discipline the
    system time in parallel.

    As far as I know clockspeed can be used to compensate the drift of the
    system clock continuously. However, you have to determine the amount of the
    drift manually, and pass the correction value to clockspeed. The accuracy
    you can achieve depends on the accuracy at which you have measured the
    drift. E.g. you set the system time correctly and see how much it is off
    after a couple of hours.

    Ntpd can be configured to query the correct time from a reference time
    source in regular intervals, so it can determine the clock drift by itself
    and compensate it. The advantage is that you don't have to measure the
    drift manually, and ntpd compensates the drift even if the drift value
    changes, e.g. due to temperature changes.

    Regards,

    Martin
    --
    Martin Burnicki

    Meinberg Funkuhren
    Bad Pyrmont
    Germany

  3. Re: what about clockspeed and NTP ?

    On 6 nov, 15:40, Martin Burnicki wrote:
    > Cyrille37 wrote:
    > > Hello
    > > I'm a bit confused with those 2 concepts for keeping computer on the
    > > right time :
    > > - ntpd
    > > - clockspeed and taiclock
    > > Is ntpd look at the computer's clock derivation like clockspeed do ?
    > > Is it a good idea to have clockspeed and ntpd running together on the
    > > same computer ?

    > It's never a good idea to let 2 different programs try to discipline the
    > system time in parallel.
    >
    > As far as I know clockspeed can be used to compensate the drift of the
    > system clock continuously. However, you have to determine the amount of the
    > drift manually, and pass the correction value to clockspeed. The accuracy
    > you can achieve depends on the accuracy at which you have measured the
    > drift. E.g. you set the system time correctly and see how much it is off
    > after a couple of hours.
    >
    > Ntpd can be configured to query the correct time from a reference time
    > source in regular intervals, so it can determine the clock drift by itself
    > and compensate it. The advantage is that you don't have to measure the
    > drift manually, and ntpd compensates the drift even if the drift value
    > changes, e.g. due to temperature changes.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Martin
    > --
    > Martin Burnicki
    >
    > Meinberg Funkuhren
    > Bad Pyrmont
    > Germany

    Thanks a lot Martin. Now it's clear for me : I'll use Ntpd.

    Cyrille

+ Reply to Thread