ntpdate off by one hour in older redhat server - NTP

This is a discussion on ntpdate off by one hour in older redhat server - NTP ; Hello I am trying to sync the date on my older redhat machines and it seems like daylight savings are not working. I tried replacing the localtime file with the NewYork file but no changes. This is the output from ...

  1. ntpdate off by one hour in older redhat server

    Hello I am trying to sync the date on my older redhat machines and it
    seems like daylight savings are not working. I tried replacing the
    localtime file with the NewYork file but no changes. This is the
    output from ntpdate

    stratum 2, precision -19, leap 00, trust 000
    refid [18.145.0.30], delay 0.05389, dispersion 0.00327
    transmitted 4, in filter 4
    reference time: cad1ac82.2cbf1a5c Tue, Oct 30 2007 8:13:38.174
    originate timestamp: cad1ad38.261bc126 Tue, Oct 30 2007 8:16:40.148
    transmit timestamp: cad1ad38.02e685db Tue, Oct 30 2007 8:16:40.011
    filter delay: 0.07112 0.06535 0.05389 0.05695
    0.00000 0.00000 0.00000 0.00000
    filter offset: 0.128712 0.125941 0.120247 0.121853
    0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000
    delay 0.05389, dispersion 0.00327
    offset 0.120247

    30 Oct 08:16:40 ntpdate[22264]: step time server 66.218.191.215 offset
    0.120247 sec

    Any suggestions? Thanks

  2. Re: ntpdate off by one hour in older redhat server

    "joe" wrote in message
    news:1193750428.307078.67390@y42g2000hsy.googlegro ups.com...

    > Hello I am trying to sync the date on my older redhat machines and it
    > seems like daylight savings are not working. I tried replacing the
    > localtime file with the NewYork file but no changes. This is the
    > output from ntpdate

    [...]
    > 30 Oct 08:16:40 ntpdate[22264]: step time server 66.218.191.215 offset
    > 0.120247 sec

    A step of 120 ms means your clock was not far off to begin with.

    NTP steers your OS's clock towards UTC. What is reported (by the OS) as
    local time, depends on your timezone settings, including DST. But NTP
    has nothing to do with that, ever.

    Groetjes,
    Maarten Wiltink

  3. Re: ntpdate off by one hour in older redhat server

    joe wrote:
    > Hello I am trying to sync the date on my older redhat machines and it
    > seems like daylight savings are not working. I tried replacing the
    > localtime file with the NewYork file but no changes. This is the
    > output from ntpdate

    ntpd has NOTHING, repeat NOTHING, to do with daylight savings time!
    Daylight savings time is a figment of your imagination. It is a common
    hallucination but still a hallucination.

    NTP deals ONLY in UTC (formerly known as Greenwich, or GMT).

    Local time is calculated by the operating system using the rules for
    your local area. The politicians just love to change the rules every
    year or so, so be sure you have the correct rules for THIS year and the
    place where you live!

  4. Re: ntpdate off by one hour in older redhat server

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > joe wrote:
    >> Hello I am trying to sync the date on my older redhat machines and it
    >> seems like daylight savings are not working. I tried replacing the
    >> localtime file with the NewYork file but no changes. This is the
    >> output from ntpdate

    > ntpd has NOTHING, repeat NOTHING, to do with daylight savings time!
    > Daylight savings time is a figment of your imagination. It is a common
    > hallucination but still a hallucination.
    >
    > NTP deals ONLY in UTC (formerly known as Greenwich, or GMT).
    >
    > Local time is calculated by the operating system using the rules for
    > your local area. The politicians just love to change the rules every
    > year or so, so be sure you have the correct rules for THIS year and the
    > place where you live!

    Right, what Richard said. Since you said that you tried replacing the
    localtime file with the NewYork file, I presume that you are in the
    Eastern US timezone. Since you also said that this only effected your
    older Red Hat systems, and because this week marks the one week this
    year where daylight savings time is still in effect while it was not
    in previous years, I will go out on a limb here and suggest that the
    time zone files on your systems are out of date and have not been
    updated.

    Brian Utterback

  5. Re: ntpdate off by one hour in older redhat server

    Brian Utterback wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >> joe wrote:
    >>> Hello I am trying to sync the date on my older redhat machines and it
    >>> seems like daylight savings are not working. I tried replacing the
    >>> localtime file with the NewYork file but no changes. This is the
    >>> output from ntpdate

    >> ntpd has NOTHING, repeat NOTHING, to do with daylight savings time!
    >> Daylight savings time is a figment of your imagination. It is a common
    >> hallucination but still a hallucination.
    >>
    >> NTP deals ONLY in UTC (formerly known as Greenwich, or GMT).
    >>
    >> Local time is calculated by the operating system using the rules for
    >> your local area. The politicians just love to change the rules every
    >> year or so, so be sure you have the correct rules for THIS year and the
    >> place where you live!
    >>

    > Right, what Richard said. Since you said that you tried replacing the
    > localtime file with the NewYork file, I presume that you are in the
    > Eastern US timezone. Since you also said that this only effected your
    > older Red Hat systems, and because this week marks the one week this
    > year where daylight savings time is still in effect while it was not
    > in previous years, I will go out on a limb here and suggest that the
    > time zone files on your systems are out of date and have not been
    > updated.
    >
    > Brian Utterback

    And if you are running a chroot jail then you need to do the same for that.

    Danny

  6. Re: ntpdate off by one hour in older redhat server

    Thanks for the help. I found this link and the procedure seemed to
    work fine.

  7. Re: ntpdate off by one hour in older redhat server

    joe wrote:
    > Thanks for the help. I found this link and the procedure seemed to
    > work fine.
    > http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS6300294422.html

    It would be worth adding the link to the support pages, since it's
    detailed enough to explain what you need to do.

    Danny

+ Reply to Thread