FTP, FTP/s, NFS, NFSv4 (with full encryption) benchmark comparisons - NFS

This is a discussion on FTP, FTP/s, NFS, NFSv4 (with full encryption) benchmark comparisons - NFS ; Folks I am working on a business case for NFSv4 and NAS vs FTP for files. In our current scenario an application writes a file, FTPs or SCPs the file and then the next application reads the FTPd file. Because ...

  1. FTP, FTP/s, NFS, NFSv4 (with full encryption) benchmark comparisons

    Folks
    I am working on a business case for NFSv4 and NAS vs FTP for files.
    In our current scenario an application writes a file, FTPs or SCPs the
    file and then the next application reads the FTPd file. Because of
    this the next application can't use the file until it is completely
    FTPd. I am thinking that by using NFS I can start the next
    application sooner and even though the NFS throughput may be less than
    the FTP or SCP the next application would complete sooner because it
    starts earlier. Having said all this I am looking for a site that has
    side by side comparisons of well tuned FTP/s and well tuned NFSv4
    (preferably including encryption). Any one know of a good site for
    this. Thanks much.

    Art

  2. Re: FTP, FTP/s, NFS, NFSv4 (with full encryption) benchmark comparisons

    ArtF wrote:

    > I am working on a business case for NFSv4 and NAS vs FTP for files.
    > In our current scenario an application writes a file, FTPs or SCPs the
    > file and then the next application reads the FTPd file. Because of
    > this the next application can't use the file until it is completely
    > FTPd.

    It seems to me the result with NFS would be the same. You could
    start reading before the file was completely transferred with either
    NFS or FTP as long as you didn't read faster than it was written.

    Otherwise, read the output of tail -f, but you won't get any EOF
    signal so you need to know when you are done.

    -- glen

+ Reply to Thread