NFSv3 and ACL on Linux - NFS

This is a discussion on NFSv3 and ACL on Linux - NFS ; Hello, I'm trying to setup a computer room with dual-boot Windows/Linux clients, and a login server + file server. On the file server, I share the home directories with samba for Windows clients, and with NFSv3 for Linux clients. On ...

  1. NFSv3 and ACL on Linux

    Hello,

    I'm trying to setup a computer room with dual-boot Windows/Linux
    clients, and a login server + file server.

    On the file server, I share the home directories with samba for Windows
    clients, and with NFSv3 for Linux clients.

    On the server I have a filesystem with ACLs. Samba can handle it well so
    on Windows clients, I can set ACL permissions on files. I would like to
    be able to set and get ACL permissions on the Linux clients, through NFS.

    In the server's kernel config, I have set :

    CONFIG_NFSD_V3_ACL=y
    CONFIG_NFS_ACL_SUPPORT=y

    In the clients' kernel config, I have set :

    CONFIG_NFS_V3_ACL=y
    CONFIG_NFS_ACL_SUPPORT=y

    ACL works fine locally on the file server itself.
    They also work fine on samba shares, with Windows clients.

    But on Linux clients, I am unable to mount it with the "nfs" option.
    The mount command returns :

    "option mount nfs inconnue: acl"

    which in english means :

    Unknown NFS mount option: acl

    Does someone have an idea how to get this to work ?

    Thank's

    --
    Francois Goudal
    Epita promo 2008 - Ing2 GISTR - President Evolutek

  2. Re: NFSv3 and ACL on Linux

    Francois Goudal wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying to setup a computer room with dual-boot Windows/Linux
    > clients, and a login server + file server.
    >
    > On the file server, I share the home directories with samba for
    > Windows clients, and with NFSv3 for Linux clients.

    Hi Francois,

    I don't think ACL's on NFS are fully supported yet. I think NVSv4 has
    better support but is still not mature. You might try using SMB mounts
    on your Linux clients too to get around this problem.

    Steve

    > On the server I have a filesystem with ACLs. Samba can handle it well
    > so on Windows clients, I can set ACL permissions on files. I would
    > like to be able to set and get ACL permissions on the Linux clients,
    > through NFS.
    >
    > In the server's kernel config, I have set :
    >
    > CONFIG_NFSD_V3_ACL=y
    > CONFIG_NFS_ACL_SUPPORT=y
    >
    > In the clients' kernel config, I have set :
    >
    > CONFIG_NFS_V3_ACL=y
    > CONFIG_NFS_ACL_SUPPORT=y
    >
    > ACL works fine locally on the file server itself.
    > They also work fine on samba shares, with Windows clients.
    >
    > But on Linux clients, I am unable to mount it with the "nfs" option.
    > The mount command returns :
    >
    > "option mount nfs inconnue: acl"
    >
    > which in english means :
    >
    > Unknown NFS mount option: acl
    >
    > Does someone have an idea how to get this to work ?
    >
    > Thank's

  3. Re: NFSv3 and ACL on Linux

    Steve Cousins a écrit :

    > Francois Goudal wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I'm trying to setup a computer room with dual-boot Windows/Linux
    >> clients, and a login server + file server.
    >>
    >> On the file server, I share the home directories with samba for
    >> Windows clients, and with NFSv3 for Linux clients.

    > Hi Francois,
    >
    > I don't think ACL's on NFS are fully supported yet. I think NVSv4 has
    > better support but is still not mature. You might try using SMB mounts
    > on your Linux clients too to get around this problem.
    >
    > Steve

    OK, but right now, I'm exporting the parent directory of the home
    directories on both NFS and samba.

    With NFS, I have no permissions problems, but I don't understand how I
    can mount this directory on the clients without having permissions problems.

    Could you explain your solution a bit more please ?

    Thanks.
    Regards.

    --
    Francois Goudal
    Epita promo 2008 - Ing2 GISTR

  4. Re: NFSv3 and ACL on Linux

    Francois Goudal wrote:

    > OK, but right now, I'm exporting the parent directory of the home
    > directories on both NFS and samba.
    >
    > With NFS, I have no permissions problems, but I don't understand how I
    > can mount this directory on the clients without having permissions
    > problems.
    >
    > Could you explain your solution a bit more please ?

    I think you'd need to mount it on a per-user basis. I admit it isn't a
    great general solution. It is not the same as NFS where you mount it
    once for all users. Each user would login and set up a mount with their
    username. This is the same paradigm that is used in Windows. I wish
    (and hope) there was a way to do it in a more general way but I haven't
    found a way to do it. Perhaps a question for the Samba group.

  5. Re: NFSv3 and ACL on Linux

    On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 03:11:07 +0100, Francois Goudal
    wrote:

    >Steve Cousins a écrit :
    >>

    >> Francois Goudal wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I'm trying to setup a computer room with dual-boot Windows/Linux
    >>> clients, and a login server + file server.
    >>>
    >>> On the file server, I share the home directories with samba for
    >>> Windows clients, and with NFSv3 for Linux clients.

    >> Hi Francois,
    >>
    >> I don't think ACL's on NFS are fully supported yet. I think NVSv4 has
    >> better support but is still not mature. You might try using SMB mounts
    >> on your Linux clients too to get around this problem.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>

    >OK, but right now, I'm exporting the parent directory of the home
    >directories on both NFS and samba.
    >
    >With NFS, I have no permissions problems, but I don't understand how I
    >can mount this directory on the clients without having permissions problems.
    >
    >Could you explain your solution a bit more please ?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >Regards.

    I'm a little confused. What are your clients and what is your server?

    Like to like NFS mounts should allow POSIX ACL's to work. So Solaris
    client to Solaris NFS server should allow standard POSIX ACL's. Same
    goes for Linux to Linux, and I've even heard that Linux to Solaris
    works as well (though I've not heard the reverse).

    ~F

  6. Re: NFSv3 and ACL on Linux

    Faeandar a écrit :
    > On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 03:11:07 +0100, Francois Goudal
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Steve Cousins a écrit :

    >>> Hi Francois,
    >>>
    >>> I don't think ACL's on NFS are fully supported yet. I think NVSv4 has
    >>> better support but is still not mature. You might try using SMB mounts
    >>> on your Linux clients too to get around this problem.
    >>>
    >>> Steve
    >>>

    >> OK, but right now, I'm exporting the parent directory of the home
    >> directories on both NFS and samba.
    >>
    >> With NFS, I have no permissions problems, but I don't understand how I
    >> can mount this directory on the clients without having permissions problems.
    >>
    >> Could you explain your solution a bit more please ?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> Regards.

    > I'm a little confused. What are your clients and what is your server?

    I'm confused too, I can read that it should work but it does not.

    The server is a Ubuntu edgy, and the clients too.
    I noticed that the kernel options :

    CONFIG_NFSD_V3_ACL
    CONFIG_NFS_V3_ACL

    were disabled in the standard kernel, so I built a kernel with these
    options enabled.

    On the server, I have an ACL-enabled partition NFS-exported. ACL works
    fine locally.
    But on the clients, I am unable to mount the NFS export with the "acl"
    option, it fails.

    > Like to like NFS mounts should allow POSIX ACL's to work. So Solaris
    > client to Solaris NFS server should allow standard POSIX ACL's. Same
    > goes for Linux to Linux, and I've even heard that Linux to Solaris
    > works as well (though I've not heard the reverse).

    Yes, I can read this on several websites, but I'm trying it and it
    apparently does not work, so I'm a bit confused, that's why I'm asking
    for some help here.

    Regards,

    --
    Francois Goudal