Cannot Access Shared Users on NFS/NIS Client - NFS

This is a discussion on Cannot Access Shared Users on NFS/NIS Client - NFS ; Hello, I recently "inherited" a lab at my school. The professor that had set up the lab left for another job, and I stepped in to take his place. I am trying to configure several machines we've added to our ...

  1. Cannot Access Shared Users on NFS/NIS Client

    Hello, I recently "inherited" a lab at my school. The professor that
    had set up the lab left for another job, and I stepped in to take his
    place. I am trying to configure several machines we've added to our
    network.

    I have a machine running Ubuntu 6.10. Most of the machines in the lab
    are running Red Hat (WS3 or ES3, can't remember exactly). However, our
    IT department hasn't seen fit to give us the keys to perform updates
    on the machines, so we are moving to a different distribution so that
    we can update properly.

    The Ubuntu machine can see the NFS shares (served by a Red Hat machine
    in the same room), however, I cannot use any of the shared logins. All
    of the other computers in the room are using the same setup, with the
    same server (only difference is Red Hat vs Ubuntu).

    Can anyone help me get the ubuntu machine to access the shared users?
    I've perused around on google and tried to find the solution in two
    books. I must admit, the problem is likely my lack of experience with
    Linux (I have some on personal machines, but not a tremendous amount
    in an environment like the one we have in our lab).

    If there is any information that would be useful in diagnosing the
    problem, please let me know, and I'll provide it as soon as I am able.

    Thanks in Advance,
    Sean

  2. Re: Cannot Access Shared Users on NFS/NIS Client

    Sorry about the double post there above, must've clicked submit twice.

    I have made a little bit of progress. I added an entry (+:*:0:0:: to
    my /etc/passwd file, and can now finger all of my users. However, I
    can't login as any of them. I suspect I need to add something to the /
    etc/shadow file, but am not sure what it is. Can anyone enlighten me?
    Thanks,

    Sean

  3. Re: Cannot Access Shared Users on NFS/NIS Client

    On Feb 13, 9:13 am, Darklup...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Sorry about the double post there above, must've clicked submit twice.
    >
    > I have made a little bit of progress. I added an entry (+:*:0:0:: to
    > my /etc/passwd file, and can now finger all of my users. However, I
    > can't login as any of them. I suspect I need to add something to the /
    > etc/shadow file, but am not sure what it is. Can anyone enlighten me?
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sean

    You're probably using NIS or NIS+. I would recommend against editing
    your /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow file. Check /etc/nsswitch.conf on the
    redhat and the ubuntu. For the `passwd', `group' and `shadow' entries
    at least, you want the ubuntu to be the same as redhat. You can do
    `man nsswitch.conf' to find out what all these mean.

    Cheers,
    bc

  4. Re: Cannot Access Shared Users on NFS/NIS Client

    Awesome, thank you! Works like a charm (I was using NIS+).

    -Sean

    On Feb 13, 5:24 pm, "bcwalrus" wrote:
    > On Feb 13, 9:13 am, Darklup...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Sorry about the double post there above, must've clicked submit twice.

    > > I have made a little bit of progress. I added an entry (+:*:0:0:: to
    > > my /etc/passwd file, and can now finger all of my users. However, I
    > > can't login as any of them. I suspect I need to add something to the /
    > > etc/shadow file, but am not sure what it is. Can anyone enlighten me?
    > > Thanks,

    > > Sean

    > You're probably using NIS or NIS+. I would recommend against editing
    > your /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow file. Check /etc/nsswitch.conf on the
    > redhat and the ubuntu. For the `passwd', `group' and `shadow' entries
    > at least, you want the ubuntu to be the same as redhat. You can do
    > `man nsswitch.conf' to find out what all these mean.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > bc

+ Reply to Thread