Mail cluster setup. What should I use? - NFS

This is a discussion on Mail cluster setup. What should I use? - NFS ; Hello all! I'm hoping I can get an answer here. I have spent days trying to find current articles/posts/etc on this, but I cant seem to find anything current (under a year old). Here is my situation. I currently has ...

  1. Mail cluster setup. What should I use?

    Hello all!

    I'm hoping I can get an answer here. I have spent days trying to find
    current articles/posts/etc on this, but I cant seem to find anything current
    (under a year old).

    Here is my situation. I currently has a sanx which is just a machine with 2
    JBODs as one big drive. This machine exports a home directory using NFS to 5
    mail servers that mount this rw over gigabit switch. I am using LVS to load
    balance the mail servers.

    Problem : This machine is flaky after previous sysadmin. We want to split
    our current fileserver, making two replicated servers out of the 2 JBODs
    (just a box of drives).

    Ok, so my plan so far was to move our mail data to a temporary raid and use
    NFS like we our currently. Then I was going to build a single /dev/sda using
    1 JBOD and a linux box, and a second server with a duplicate setup and use
    DRBD to replicate the drives using a flip cable and gigabit cards between
    the two using a 10.10.10.x network.

    That part all seems fine to me. Now comes the part where I have to figure
    out which filesystem to use (XFS or ReiserFS3.6) and which "fileserver" to
    use.

    In my quest I have come across coda, GFS, openssi, openafs, nfsv3 (what we
    are using now) and nfsv4. From what I have read it sounds like I would like
    to use reiserfs for the filesystem and openafs to share the files between my
    5+ mail servers.

    So am I correct in my understanding that OpenAFS is basically NFS only more
    advanced? Is it faster? Are there any reasons I should just stick with NFS?
    I have about 13,000 mail accounts, about 2.8 million files (we use maildir).

    The end result that we want is that we have a server with a fast raid10,
    probably using reiserfs, that is replicated using DRBD to a live spare in
    case the primary pukes, and that is exporting a single mail directory to 5+
    mail servers with rw access.

    Sorry if this is so long winded, I just wanted to try to paint a detailed
    picture of what I am dealing with.

    Thanks!

    Brandon

  2. Re: Mail cluster setup. What should I use?

    Brandon Lamb wrote:

    > In my quest I have come across coda, GFS, openssi, openafs, nfsv3 (what we
    > are using now) and nfsv4. From what I have read it sounds like I would like
    > to use reiserfs for the filesystem and openafs to share the files between my
    > 5+ mail servers.
    >
    > So am I correct in my understanding that OpenAFS is basically NFS only more
    > advanced? Is it faster? Are there any reasons I should just stick with NFS?
    > I have about 13,000 mail accounts, about 2.8 million files (we use maildir).

    openafs and nfs have nothing to do with each other.

  3. Re: Mail cluster setup. What should I use?

    "Mike Eisler" wrote in message
    news:1169432171.893807.37220@v45g2000cwv.googlegro ups.com...

    > Brandon Lamb wrote:
    >
    >> In my quest I have come across coda, GFS, openssi, openafs, nfsv3 (what
    >> we
    >> are using now) and nfsv4. From what I have read it sounds like I would
    >> like
    >> to use reiserfs for the filesystem and openafs to share the files between
    >> my
    >> 5+ mail servers.
    >>
    >> So am I correct in my understanding that OpenAFS is basically NFS only
    >> more
    >> advanced? Is it faster? Are there any reasons I should just stick with
    >> NFS?
    >> I have about 13,000 mail accounts, about 2.8 million files (we use
    >> maildir).

    > openafs and nfs have nothing to do with each other.

    Am I that confused? Things I have been reading look like OpenAFS is an
    alternative to NFS, is this incorrect? Dont they supply the same
    functionality of sharing a single "drive" or folder on a server and allowing
    multiple clients to connect to this drive or folder to read/write files?

    From what I read, the consensus appeared to be openafs is nfs but better.
    Now I'm confused. I currently use NFS so I understand how it works, so you
    are saying afs doesnt provide the same thing?

  4. Re: Mail cluster setup. What should I use?

    Brandon Lamb wrote:
    > "Mike Eisler" wrote in message
    > news:1169432171.893807.37220@v45g2000cwv.googlegro ups.com...
    > >
    > > Brandon Lamb wrote:
    > >
    > >> In my quest I have come across coda, GFS, openssi, openafs, nfsv3 (what
    > >> we
    > >> are using now) and nfsv4. From what I have read it sounds like I would
    > >> like
    > >> to use reiserfs for the filesystem and openafs to share the files between
    > >> my
    > >> 5+ mail servers.
    > >>
    > >> So am I correct in my understanding that OpenAFS is basically NFS only
    > >> more
    > >> advanced? Is it faster? Are there any reasons I should just stick with
    > >> NFS?
    > >> I have about 13,000 mail accounts, about 2.8 million files (we use
    > >> maildir).

    > > openafs and nfs have nothing to do with each other.

    > Am I that confused? Things I have been reading look like OpenAFS is an
    > alternative to NFS, is this incorrect? Dont they supply the same

    That is correct. That isn't the same thing as saying OpenAFS is
    basically NFS.

    As for it being more advanced, AFS is better if you need to relocate
    volumes transparently, and need a global namespace.

  5. Re: Mail cluster setup. What should I use?

    On Jan 21, 6:23 pm, "Brandon Lamb" wrote:
    > "Mike Eisler" wrote in messagenews:1169432171.893807.37220@v45g2000cwv.go oglegroups.com...
    >

    > > Brandon Lamb wrote:

    > >> In my quest I have come across coda, GFS, openssi, openafs, nfsv3 (what
    > >> we
    > >> are using now) and nfsv4. From what I have read it sounds like I would
    > >> like
    > >> to use reiserfs for the filesystem and openafs to share the files between
    > >> my
    > >> 5+ mail servers.

    > >> So am I correct in my understanding that OpenAFS is basically NFS only
    > >> more
    > >> advanced? Is it faster? Are there any reasons I should just stick with
    > >> NFS?
    > >> I have about 13,000 mail accounts, about 2.8 million files (we use
    > >> maildir).

    > > openafs and nfs have nothing to do with each other.Am I that confused? Things I have been reading look like OpenAFS is an

    > alternative to NFS, is this incorrect? Dont they supply the same
    > functionality of sharing a single "drive" or folder on a server and allowing
    > multiple clients to connect to this drive or folder to read/write files?
    >
    > From what I read, the consensus appeared to be openafs is nfs but better.
    > Now I'm confused. I currently use NFS so I understand how it works, so you
    > are saying afs doesnt provide the same thing?

    AFS (and OpenAFS) is more powerful than NFS. But you may not
    be aware that it's more complex and a lot harder to administrate.
    And there're fewer resources on AFS, i.e. if you run into problems,
    it's harder to find help. You need to decide whether it's worth the
    extra features offered by AFS.

    Cheers,
    bc

+ Reply to Thread