Windows NFS client to FC3 NFSD problem - NFS

This is a discussion on Windows NFS client to FC3 NFSD problem - NFS ; my /etc/exports on the FC3 machine is '/var/log *(ro)'. I can mount the export from another FC3 machine on the subnet. However, from a XP SP2 machine that is able to mount Solaris NFS exports, when I try to mount ...

  1. Windows NFS client to FC3 NFSD problem

    my /etc/exports on the FC3 machine is '/var/log *(ro)'. I can mount
    the export from another FC3 machine on the subnet. However, from a XP
    SP2 machine that is able to mount Solaris NFS exports, when I try to
    mount the FC3 export, I can the wonderful error "An extended error has
    occurred". There is nothing in the Admin Tools Event manager to
    describe the error further so I am left to my own imagination what is
    wrong. I double checked the password and the mount permissions but
    like I said, I can mount it on other linux machines so I don't know
    what the problem could be. Any ideas?

  2. Re: Windows NFS client to FC3 NFSD problem

    NetKev wrote:
    > my /etc/exports on the FC3 machine is '/var/log *(ro)'. I can mount
    > the export from another FC3 machine on the subnet. However, from a XP
    > SP2 machine that is able to mount Solaris NFS exports, when I try to
    > mount the FC3 export, I can the wonderful error "An extended error has
    > occurred". There is nothing in the Admin Tools Event manager to
    > describe the error further so I am left to my own imagination what is
    > wrong. I double checked the password and the mount permissions but
    > like I said, I can mount it on other linux machines so I don't know
    > what the problem could be. Any ideas?

    The best way to tell is to do a packet trace. You can use tcpdump or
    ethereal on the FC3 server. Then see what the Windows client is doing
    and what upsets it.

    What client are you using? Maybe your client is insisting on NFS ACL,
    or NLM FREE_ALL. Please do post you findings; I'm curious.

    Cheers,
    bc

  3. Re: Windows NFS client to FC3 NFSD problem

    bcwalrus wrote:
    > NetKev wrote:
    > > my /etc/exports on the FC3 machine is '/var/log *(ro)'. I can mount
    > > the export from another FC3 machine on the subnet. However, from a XP
    > > SP2 machine that is able to mount Solaris NFS exports, when I try to
    > > mount the FC3 export, I can the wonderful error "An extended error has
    > > occurred". There is nothing in the Admin Tools Event manager to
    > > describe the error further so I am left to my own imagination what is
    > > wrong. I double checked the password and the mount permissions but
    > > like I said, I can mount it on other linux machines so I don't know
    > > what the problem could be. Any ideas?

    > The best way to tell is to do a packet trace. You can use tcpdump or
    > ethereal on the FC3 server. Then see what the Windows client is doing
    > and what upsets it.
    >
    > What client are you using? Maybe your client is insisting on NFS ACL,
    > or NLM FREE_ALL. Please do post you findings; I'm curious.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > bc

    Will do. In the mean time, I tried 'nfs' from windows command line and
    got some more details. I figured I was using the default windows NFS
    client(if there is one) but I guess my company pre-installs NFS Maestro
    as the NFS client. When I try to mount the export from the cmd line I
    get: "HCLNFSD/PCNFSD not running on host".

  4. Re: Windows NFS client to FC3 NFSD problem

    NetKev wrote:
    > bcwalrus wrote:
    > > NetKev wrote:
    > > > my /etc/exports on the FC3 machine is '/var/log *(ro)'. I can mount
    > > > the export from another FC3 machine on the subnet. However, from a XP
    > > > SP2 machine that is able to mount Solaris NFS exports, when I try to
    > > > mount the FC3 export, I can the wonderful error "An extended error has
    > > > occurred". There is nothing in the Admin Tools Event manager to
    > > > describe the error further so I am left to my own imagination what is
    > > > wrong. I double checked the password and the mount permissions but
    > > > like I said, I can mount it on other linux machines so I don't know
    > > > what the problem could be. Any ideas?

    > > The best way to tell is to do a packet trace. You can use tcpdump or
    > > ethereal on the FC3 server. Then see what the Windows client is doing
    > > and what upsets it.
    > >
    > > What client are you using? Maybe your client is insisting on NFS ACL,
    > > or NLM FREE_ALL. Please do post you findings; I'm curious.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > bc

    > Will do. In the mean time, I tried 'nfs' from windows command line and
    > got some more details. I figured I was using the default windows NFS
    > client(if there is one) but I guess my company pre-installs NFS Maestro
    > as the NFS client. When I try to mount the export from the cmd line I
    > get: "HCLNFSD/PCNFSD not running on host".

    Some more research reveals that it may mean that my FC3 machine is
    lacking a daemon(but then how would the other FC3 machine connect to it
    over nfs?). 'rpcinfo -p' yields a result that looks good to me but
    maybe I'm missing somthing:
    program vers proto port
    100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
    100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
    100024 1 udp 32768 status
    100024 1 tcp 32769 status
    100011 1 udp 909 rquotad
    100011 2 udp 909 rquotad
    100011 1 tcp 912 rquotad
    100011 2 tcp 912 rquotad
    100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
    100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
    100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
    100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
    100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
    100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
    100021 1 udp 32770 nlockmgr
    100021 3 udp 32770 nlockmgr
    100021 4 udp 32770 nlockmgr
    100021 1 tcp 32770 nlockmgr
    100021 3 tcp 32770 nlockmgr
    100021 4 tcp 32770 nlockmgr
    100005 1 udp 930 mountd
    100005 1 tcp 933 mountd
    100005 2 udp 930 mountd
    100005 2 tcp 933 mountd
    100005 3 udp 930 mountd
    100005 3 tcp 933 mountd

  5. Re: Windows NFS client to FC3 NFSD problem

    NetKev wrote:
    > NetKev wrote:
    > > bcwalrus wrote:
    > > >
    > > > The best way to tell is to do a packet trace. You can use tcpdump or
    > > > ethereal on the FC3 server. Then see what the Windows client is doing
    > > > and what upsets it.
    > > >
    > > > What client are you using? Maybe your client is insisting on NFS ACL,
    > > > or NLM FREE_ALL. Please do post you findings; I'm curious.
    > > >
    > > > Cheers,
    > > > bc

    > > Will do. In the mean time, I tried 'nfs' from windows command line and
    > > got some more details. I figured I was using the default windows NFS
    > > client(if there is one) but I guess my company pre-installs NFS Maestro
    > > as the NFS client. When I try to mount the export from the cmd line I
    > > get: "HCLNFSD/PCNFSD not running on host".

    The HCLNFSD is Hummingbird's own lock manager, which is not part of the
    standard NFS/NLM. And you won't find it on your Linux server. I believe
    you can change your NFS client's setting to use UNIX lock manager. And
    things should work.

    bc

+ Reply to Thread