map change - NFS

This is a discussion on map change - NFS ; What are the implications and possible results of changing the mounted path in an automount map? Scenario: /path/to/my/data -options nfs-server:/path/to/source I want to change it to: /path/to/new/data -options nfs-server/path/to/source So only the cd path changes. My suspicions are that any ...

  1. map change

    What are the implications and possible results of changing the mounted
    path in an automount map?

    Scenario:

    /path/to/my/data -options
    nfs-server:/path/to/source

    I want to change it to:

    /path/to/new/data -options
    nfs-server/path/to/source

    So only the cd path changes. My suspicions are that any transaction
    against that path will either 1) get permission denied or 2) write to
    local disk at that path.

    Any confirmation or re-education?

    Thanks.

    ~F

  2. Re: map change

    Faeandar wrote:
    > What are the implications and possible results of changing the mounted
    > path in an automount map?
    >
    > Scenario:
    >
    > /path/to/my/data -options
    > nfs-server:/path/to/source
    >
    > I want to change it to:
    >
    > /path/to/new/data -options
    > nfs-server/path/to/source
    >
    > So only the cd path changes. My suspicions are that any transaction
    > against that path will either 1) get permission denied or 2) write to
    > local disk at that path.

    NFS clients that have /path/to/my/data still mounted and in use will
    continue to have that path available.

    Attempts to access /path/to/new/data will continue.

    If you want, put both paths in the map.

    > Any confirmation or re-education?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > ~F

  3. Re: map change

    On 17 Jul 2006 11:34:49 -0700, "Mike Eisler"
    wrote:

    >Faeandar wrote:
    >> What are the implications and possible results of changing the mounted
    >> path in an automount map?
    >>
    >> Scenario:
    >>
    >> /path/to/my/data -options
    >> nfs-server:/path/to/source
    >>
    >> I want to change it to:
    >>
    >> /path/to/new/data -options
    >> nfs-server/path/to/source
    >>
    >> So only the cd path changes. My suspicions are that any transaction
    >> against that path will either 1) get permission denied or 2) write to
    >> local disk at that path.

    >NFS clients that have /path/to/my/data still mounted and in use will
    >continue to have that path available.
    >
    >Attempts to access /path/to/new/data will continue.

    So, the mount information stays loaded into memory even after a hup or
    kill/restart of automountd? And when the mount is released (or we
    release it) what happens then?
    I ask because Solaris is notorious for not cleaning up autofs
    directories. Even if the mount is released the autofs dir will still
    be there. Will the user get permission denied trying to write there?
    Or will they write to local disk?
    My guess is permission denied since the dir's are always owned by root
    if I recall correctly.

    >If you want, put both paths in the map.

    Can't really. We're migrating to a new path structure and want the
    old one to go away. It's an issue of how we engineer the cutover
    though.

    Thanks.

    ~F

  4. Re: map change

    Faeandar wrote:
    > On 17 Jul 2006 11:34:49 -0700, "Mike Eisler"
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Faeandar wrote:
    > >> What are the implications and possible results of changing the mounted
    > >> path in an automount map?
    > >>
    > >> Scenario:
    > >>
    > >> /path/to/my/data -options
    > >> nfs-server:/path/to/source
    > >>
    > >> I want to change it to:
    > >>
    > >> /path/to/new/data -options
    > >> nfs-server/path/to/source
    > >>
    > >> So only the cd path changes. My suspicions are that any transaction
    > >> against that path will either 1) get permission denied or 2) write to
    > >> local disk at that path.

    > >NFS clients that have /path/to/my/data still mounted and in use will
    > >continue to have that path available.
    > >
    > >Attempts to access /path/to/new/data will continue.

    > So, the mount information stays loaded into memory even after a hup or
    > kill/restart of automountd? And when the mount is released (or we

    Yes.

    > release it) what happens then?

    The next time a process goes to access the path, the
    map is re-read, and an NFS mount re-mounted.

    > I ask because Solaris is notorious for not cleaning up autofs
    > directories. Even if the mount is released the autofs dir will still

    If there's a an automounter map entry, autofs directories
    will be created.

    > be there. Will the user get permission denied trying to write there?
    > Or will they write to local disk?

    If there's no map entry at a path, and local path is present,
    then data will be written to the local file system.
    > My guess is permission denied since the dir's are always owned by root
    > if I recall correctly.
    >

    > >If you want, put both paths in the map.

    > Can't really. We're migrating to a new path structure and want the
    > old one to go away. It's an issue of how we engineer the cutover
    > though.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > ~F

+ Reply to Thread