NFS daemons - which are required? - NFS

This is a discussion on NFS daemons - which are required? - NFS ; Hi all! I've managed to get nfs4 working; the server is Fedora Core 5, and the clients are RHEL 4 (VMware guests on the FC5 system). Now I would like to disable those nfs-related daemons that I don't actually need. ...

  1. NFS daemons - which are required?

    Hi all!

    I've managed to get nfs4 working; the server is Fedora Core 5, and the
    clients are RHEL 4 (VMware guests on the FC5 system).

    Now I would like to disable those nfs-related daemons that I don't
    actually need. Does anyone know of a web page that succinctly describes
    how the following daemons relate to one another and which are actually
    required on the clients and the server for NFS version 4?

    The daemons are:

    init script executable(s)
    ----------- -------------
    portmap portmap
    nfs rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd, rpc.rquotad
    nfslock rpc.statd
    rpcgssd rpc.gssd
    rpcidmapd rpc.idmapd
    rpcsvcgssd rpc.svcgssd

    Thanks!

    Ian Pilcher i.pilcher@comcast.net

  2. Re: NFS daemons - which are required?

    Ian Pilcher wrote:

    > Hi all!
    >
    > I've managed to get nfs4 working; the server is Fedora Core 5, and the
    > clients are RHEL 4 (VMware guests on the FC5 system).
    >
    > Now I would like to disable those nfs-related daemons that I don't
    > actually need. Does anyone know of a web page that succinctly describes
    > how the following daemons relate to one another and which are actually
    > required on the clients and the server for NFS version 4?
    >
    > The daemons are:
    >
    > init script executable(s)
    > ----------- -------------
    > portmap portmap
    > nfs rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd, rpc.rquotad
    > nfslock rpc.statd
    > rpcgssd rpc.gssd
    > rpcidmapd rpc.idmapd
    > rpcsvcgssd rpc.svcgssd
    >
    > Thanks!

    With NFS, there are some complications with regard to port mapping. It is
    always adviceable to map the services such as rquotad, portmap, rpc.lockd,
    rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd and rpc.statd to specified ports.

    This will help in the total control of your NFS server through a firewall.

    Read more here: http://www.lowth.com/LinWiz/1.09/not...lp.php?popup=1

    Cheers!

+ Reply to Thread