NFSv4 on Linux problems... - NFS

This is a discussion on NFSv4 on Linux problems... - NFS ; I have recently decided to try NFSv4 and couldn't make it work. I have used v2 and v3 before, so NFS isn't completely new for me, although I never had a need for advanced stuff, like kerberos etc. I have ...

  1. NFSv4 on Linux problems...

    I have recently decided to try NFSv4 and couldn't make it work.

    I have used v2 and v3 before, so NFS isn't completely new for me,
    although I never had a need for advanced stuff, like kerberos etc.

    I have o couple of machines- one server and two workstations, connected
    through Gbit Ethernet.

    All machines are dual Opteron, running 64-bit Gentoo linux with fresh
    2.6.16 kernel.

    I have tried exporting thorugh NFSv4 a couple of maps on the server and
    I have basically two problems:

    - I have to export some share with fsid=0 ("root share"), otherwise my
    clients won't be able to mount any share from the server.

    - share with fsid=0- root share must contain all other exported shares.

    This is in contrast with documentation, which basically says that
    although NFSv4 sees all exports as one filesystem and that fsid=0 share
    represents root of that FS, there is no requirement that root share be
    actually exported or that it must contain all other shares physically
    on the servers's filesystem.

    Scarce documentation basically says that I can export whatever I want
    to and NFS on the server will "glue" all exported shares into one FS.
    It ain't so in real world.
    Not only I have to actually export fsid=0 share, it actually has to be
    parent of all other exported shares on server's FS and it has to be
    accessible (readable, writeable etc)

    Since least-common-denominator of all my exported shares is root
    directory - "/", that puts me in awkward position

    Other weird thing is that even if I make it work, client can't acces to
    anything on the share, unless it is world
    readable/writeable/executable.
    After looking at the attributes of uploaded files from the client, it
    seems that NFS got the uid and gid totally wrong. I get them as an
    32-bit int quantities with absurd negative value instead of e.g
    1001/100.
    As I understand specs, client and server should be able to agree on
    alphanumeric username/group.
    Both exist on the server and client, albeight used username's uid
    slightly differs betwen them.

    I have tried with several kernels from gentoo-sources as well as latest
    vanilla sources, all with the same result...

  2. Re: NFSv4 on Linux problems...

    Brane2 wrote:

    > I have recently decided to try NFSv4 and couldn't make it work.
    >
    > I have used v2 and v3 before, so NFS isn't completely new for me,
    > although I never had a need for advanced stuff, like kerberos etc.
    >
    > I have o couple of machines- one server and two workstations, connected
    > through Gbit Ethernet.
    >
    > All machines are dual Opteron, running 64-bit Gentoo linux with fresh
    > 2.6.16 kernel.
    >
    > I have tried exporting thorugh NFSv4 a couple of maps on the server and
    > I have basically two problems:
    >
    > - I have to export some share with fsid=0 ("root share"), otherwise my
    > clients won't be able to mount any share from the server.
    >
    > - share with fsid=0- root share must contain all other exported shares.
    >
    > This is in contrast with documentation, which basically says that
    > although NFSv4 sees all exports as one filesystem and that fsid=0 share
    > represents root of that FS, there is no requirement that root share be
    > actually exported or that it must contain all other shares physically
    > on the servers's filesystem.
    >
    > Scarce documentation basically says that I can export whatever I want
    > to and NFS on the server will "glue" all exported shares into one FS.
    > It ain't so in real world.
    > Not only I have to actually export fsid=0 share, it actually has to be
    > parent of all other exported shares on server's FS and it has to be
    > accessible (readable, writeable etc)
    >
    > Since least-common-denominator of all my exported shares is root
    > directory - "/", that puts me in awkward position
    >
    > Other weird thing is that even if I make it work, client can't acces to
    > anything on the share, unless it is world
    > readable/writeable/executable.
    > After looking at the attributes of uploaded files from the client, it
    > seems that NFS got the uid and gid totally wrong. I get them as an
    > 32-bit int quantities with absurd negative value instead of e.g
    > 1001/100.
    > As I understand specs, client and server should be able to agree on
    > alphanumeric username/group.
    > Both exist on the server and client, albeight used username's uid
    > slightly differs betwen them.
    >
    > I have tried with several kernels from gentoo-sources as well as latest
    > vanilla sources, all with the same result...

    I just configured NFSv4 on my FC5 box and everything is working fine. Thanks
    to this link: www.brennan.id.au/19-Network_File_System.html

    Why don't also have a look there... I'm sure this will be useful to you.

+ Reply to Thread