is NFS distributed? - NFS

This is a discussion on is NFS distributed? - NFS ; Are all files on NFS stored on one central server? Or is is possible to distribute the load on different servers? If so, which version supports that?...

  1. is NFS distributed?

    Are all files on NFS stored on one central server? Or is is possible to
    distribute the load on different servers? If so, which version supports
    that?

  2. Re: is NFS distributed?

    On Wed, 17 May 2006 11:51:52 +0200, Andersen
    wrote:

    >Are all files on NFS stored on one central server? Or is is possible to
    >distribute the load on different servers? If so, which version supports
    >that?

    It's possible to distribute file systems across multiple NFS servers
    and use a namespace of some type. The most popular namespace is
    automounter but it could be any of the newer products as well; Acopia,
    Neoscale, Rainstorage, etc.

    An example is:

    /nfs/looks_like_one_fs/

    But under that there are multiple directories that are each their own
    file system exported from seperate NFS servers but coalesced into one
    path structure by a namespace.
    Of course this usually means users will not be able to create anything
    under looks_like_one_fs directly but rather in the dir's below it.

    Hope this helps.

    ~F

  3. Re: is NFS distributed?

    On Sun, 21 May 2006 02:24:32 GMT, Faeandar
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 17 May 2006 11:51:52 +0200, Andersen
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Are all files on NFS stored on one central server? Or is is possible to
    >>distribute the load on different servers? If so, which version supports
    >>that?

    >It's possible to distribute file systems across multiple NFS servers
    >and use a namespace of some type. The most popular namespace is
    >automounter but it could be any of the newer products as well; Acopia,
    >Neoscale, Rainstorage, etc.
    >
    >An example is:
    >
    >/nfs/looks_like_one_fs/
    >
    >But under that there are multiple directories that are each their own
    >file system exported from seperate NFS servers but coalesced into one
    >path structure by a namespace.
    >Of course this usually means users will not be able to create anything
    >under looks_like_one_fs directly but rather in the dir's below it.
    >
    >Hope this helps.
    >
    >~F

    If you are referring to something like Microsoft's DFS for NFS then
    you'll have to wait for NFS v4. v3 does not have, to my knowledge, a
    redirect capability.

    ~F

+ Reply to Thread