I am trying to set up nss_ldap, with user (and group) information stored
in the LDAP directory and a /home filesystem shared via NFSv4. The NFS
server is Fedora Core 5.

I have added 'user0' along with a corresponding group to the OpenLDAP
directory on the FC5 box. (uid and gid are both 10000.) I am able to
log in as user0.

I have created /home/user0 and chown'ed it to 10000:10000. Here is my
/etc/exports:

/home 192.168.3.0/24(rw,fsid=0,insecure,async,no_subtree_check)

If I look at /home "directly" it looks fine:

[pilcher@home temp]$ ls -ln /home
total 32
drwx------ 29 501 501 4096 May 15 11:21 admin
drwx------ 18 502 502 4096 Apr 29 12:54 charo
drwx------ 50 500 500 4096 May 16 11:06 pilcher
drwx------ 2 10000 10000 4096 May 16 11:15 user0

If I look at it "indirectly" via NFS, user0 is mapped to nobody:

[root@home ~]# mount -t nfs4 192.168.3.1:/ /mnt/tmp
[root@home ~]# ls -ln /mnt/tmp
total 32
drwx------ 29 501 501 4096 May 15 11:21 admin
drwx------ 18 502 502 4096 Apr 29 12:54 charo
drwx------ 50 500 500 4096 May 16 11:06 pilcher
drwx------ 2 99 99 4096 May 16 11:15 user0

Note that server-side permissions appear to work fine. I can log in as
user0 on a "client" and create files in /home/user0. Those files show
up as nobody:nobody on the client (via NFS), but they show up as
user0:user0 on the "server".

Anyone know what might be going on?

Thanks!

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher@comcast.net