problems when nfs server is not responding - NFS

This is a discussion on problems when nfs server is not responding - NFS ; I have a nfs server which is working quite well, but there is only one thing that is giving me problems. When it crashes or is not responding for some reason, clients almost freeze for some minutes, and they can't ...

  1. problems when nfs server is not responding

    I have a nfs server which is working quite well, but there is only one
    thing that is giving me problems. When it crashes or is not responding
    for some reason, clients almost freeze for some minutes, and they can't
    even umount the shared directory.
    This happens even when they are not using the shared directory at all.
    Is there a way to tell it to just give up trying to connect when there
    is a problem?

  2. Re: problems when nfs server is not responding

    It's possible that there are shells inside the mounted directories.
    What kind of client are you using?

    You can mount with "-o intr" on the clients. When the server crashes,
    you can try "umount -f ". The "intr" option allows you to kill any
    process using the remote files. You can identify such processes using
    lsof(8) or fuser(1). (And then do umount -f again.)

  3. Re: problems when nfs server is not responding

    mdiazfreire@hotmail.com wrote:

    > I have a nfs server which is working quite well, but there is only one
    > thing that is giving me problems. When it crashes or is not responding
    > for some reason, clients almost freeze for some minutes, and they can't
    > even umount the shared directory.

    That is the way NFS usually works. I remember once having a mount to
    a server when the server was packed up and shipped out. It is usual in
    unix that you can't interrupt in the middle of an I/O operation. That
    was continued into NFS.

    > This happens even when they are not using the shared directory at all.
    > Is there a way to tell it to just give up trying to connect when there
    > is a problem?

    If it isn't accessed by anyone, most will unmount it. Having the
    current directory of any shell in that file system will stop it from
    unmounting.

    -- glen

+ Reply to Thread