failover IP address and nfs shares - NFS

This is a discussion on failover IP address and nfs shares - NFS ; hi all, I have 2 machines (A/B) in active standby mode. both have a shared filesystem that is nfs exported. a client has mounted the nfs share exported by A, provided A is the active node. What happens if A ...

  1. failover IP address and nfs shares

    hi all,

    I have 2 machines (A/B) in active standby mode. both have a
    shared filesystem that is nfs exported.

    a client has mounted the nfs share exported by A, provided A is
    the active node. What happens if A goes down and B takes over the
    ip address of A. Does the client have to umount and mount again?
    Any stale handles showing up?

    Is there any known procedure for setting up such a configuration.

    Thanks in advance for all answers.

  2. Re: failover IP address and nfs shares

    getridofthespam@yahoo.com wrote:
    > hi all,
    >
    > I have 2 machines (A/B) in active standby mode. both have a
    > shared filesystem that is nfs exported.
    >
    > a client has mounted the nfs share exported by A, provided A is
    > the active node. What happens if A goes down and B takes over the
    > ip address of A. Does the client have to umount and mount again?
    > Any stale handles showing up?

    Proably, but you don't describe what the machines are.
    Some commercial vendors sell High Availability clusters of two machines
    that will failover the IP address and ownership of the disks, which
    prevents
    stale file handle errors.

    > Is there any known procedure for setting up such a configuration.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for all answers.

+ Reply to Thread