nfs mount fails - permissin denied - NFS

This is a discussion on nfs mount fails - permissin denied - NFS ; I am trying to nfs share a directory from one box running mdk 2006 to the client running mdk 10.2 (2005LE). when i try to (as root) # mount -a -t nfs I get "failed, reason given by server: Permission ...

  1. nfs mount fails - permissin denied

    I am trying to nfs share a directory from one box running mdk 2006 to the
    client running mdk 10.2 (2005LE).

    when i try to (as root) # mount -a -t nfs
    I get
    "failed, reason given by server: Permission denied"
    for both dirs
    I cant determine what is wrong, what permission is denied?

    On the sever side i see in syslog:
    rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from :844
    for /home/my_username/src_dir (/home/my_username/src_dir)

    I also verified my username is the same id number on both machines

    I have googled for hours and i cant find a solution to this
    Am i missing a step? Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Eric

    i exported the dirs in /etc/exports on the server side
    # NFS exports
    /home/my_username/src_dir 192.168.10.88(rw,no_root_squash,sync)
    /var/www 192.168.10.88(rw,no_root_squash,sync)

    i ran exportfs -ra on server side

    fstab on client side:
    server_box:/home/my_username/src_dir /home/my_username/src_dir nfs
    rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,intr,rw 0 0
    server_box:/var/www /home/my_username/www nfs
    user,sync,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,intr 0 0

    server side:
    # rpcinfo -p
    program vers proto port
    100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
    100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
    100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
    100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
    100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
    100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
    100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
    100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
    100021 1 udp 32788 nlockmgr
    100021 3 udp 32788 nlockmgr
    100021 4 udp 32788 nlockmgr
    100021 1 tcp 32782 nlockmgr
    100021 3 tcp 32782 nlockmgr
    100021 4 tcp 32782 nlockmgr
    100005 1 udp 934 mountd
    100005 1 tcp 937 mountd
    100005 2 udp 934 mountd
    100005 2 tcp 937 mountd
    100005 3 udp 934 mountd
    100005 3 tcp 937 mountd
    100024 1 udp 606 status
    100024 1 tcp 609 status

    from client side:

    # rpcinfo -p server_box
    program vers proto port
    100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
    100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
    100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
    100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
    100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
    100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
    100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
    100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
    100021 1 udp 32788 nlockmgr
    100021 3 udp 32788 nlockmgr
    100021 4 udp 32788 nlockmgr
    100021 1 tcp 32782 nlockmgr
    100021 3 tcp 32782 nlockmgr
    100021 4 tcp 32782 nlockmgr
    100005 1 udp 934 mountd
    100005 1 tcp 937 mountd
    100005 2 udp 934 mountd
    100005 2 tcp 937 mountd
    100005 3 udp 934 mountd
    100005 3 tcp 937 mountd
    100024 1 udp 606 status
    100024 1 tcp 609 status

  2. Re: nfs mount fails - permissin denied

    I was getting a similar error. The solution I got (and worked for me)
    was to login to the server from the client, issue the command

    >who am i

    and use exactly the hostname that gives you (case sensitive) in the
    exports file, instead of IP address.

    Eric wrote:
    > I am trying to nfs share a directory from one box running mdk 2006 to the
    > client running mdk 10.2 (2005LE).
    >
    > when i try to (as root) # mount -a -t nfs
    > I get
    > "failed, reason given by server: Permission denied"
    > for both dirs
    > I cant determine what is wrong, what permission is denied?
    >
    > On the sever side i see in syslog:
    > rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from :844
    > for /home/my_username/src_dir (/home/my_username/src_dir)
    >
    > I also verified my username is the same id number on both machines
    >
    > I have googled for hours and i cant find a solution to this
    > Am i missing a step? Any ideas?
    > Thanks
    > Eric
    >

    > i exported the dirs in /etc/exports on the server side
    > # NFS exports
    > /home/my_username/src_dir 192.168.10.88(rw,no_root_squash,sync)
    > /var/www 192.168.10.88(rw,no_root_squash,sync)
    >
    > i ran exportfs -ra on server side
    >
    > fstab on client side:
    > server_box:/home/my_username/src_dir /home/my_username/src_dir nfs
    > rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,intr,rw 0 0
    > server_box:/var/www /home/my_username/www nfs
    > user,sync,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,intr 0 0

> [...]

  3. Re: nfs mount fails - permissin denied

    > when i try to (as root) # mount -a -t nfs
    > I get
    > "failed, reason given by server: Permission denied"
    > for both dirs
    > I cant determine what is wrong, what permission is denied?

    The logs are not very detailed on this problem. I had the similar
    problem until 5 minutes ago.

    I dont think that the other posters solution is very accurate:
    whoami does list usernames and not hostnames. And especially in
    problemscenarios a ip is always better than a hostname.

    In my case (and obvious the other posters case too), some weird
    network-problems with this weird new distributions where the reason for
    the problem.

    In my case it turned out that due do dhcp the ip of my nfs-server was
    changed during booting and so the firewall didnt let through all needed
    ports for nfs. Some ports came through and so I got the

    rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from

    in the serverlogs, but other ports were closed to the client. Maybe this
    is your problem too. Try to deactivate your firewall (disconnect from
    the big hive first) and check if things start to work out. Also try to
    restart your network without firewall.

    I think that nfs is a very old and very stable protocol, but
    unfortunately I more and more discover that new "foolprove" network- and
    firewallsettings in YAST are not

    best,
    peter

  4. Re: nfs mount fails - permissin denied

    peter pilsl wrote:

    >> when i try to (as root) # mount -a -t nfs
    >> I get
    >> "failed, reason given by server: Permission denied"
    >> for both dirs
    >> I cant determine what is wrong, what permission is denied?
    >>

    > The logs are not very detailed on this problem. I had the similar
    > problem until 5 minutes ago.
    >
    > I dont think that the other posters solution is very accurate:
    > whoami does list usernames and not hostnames. And especially in
    > problemscenarios a ip is always better than a hostname.
    >
    > In my case (and obvious the other posters case too), some weird
    > network-problems with this weird new distributions where the reason for
    > the problem.
    >
    > In my case it turned out that due do dhcp the ip of my nfs-server was
    > changed during booting and so the firewall didnt let through all needed
    > ports for nfs. Some ports came through and so I got the
    >

    > rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from
    >
    > in the serverlogs, but other ports were closed to the client. Maybe this
    > is your problem too. Try to deactivate your firewall (disconnect from
    > the big hive first) and check if things start to work out. Also try to
    > restart your network without firewall.
    >
    > I think that nfs is a very old and very stable protocol, but
    > unfortunately I more and more discover that new "foolprove" network- and
    > firewallsettings in YAST are not
    >
    > best,
    > peter

    I also get this in my logs on the server side
    rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request etc etc
    My only firewall is iptables, and thats cleared on both machines
    and makes no difference. I'm running a 2.6.24-2 kernel on both machines and
    I have verified the NFS options in each one are selected (maybe i have
    missed an option)
    I get nothing logged besides the authenticated thing and that leaves me
    totally stumped.
    If its not an option in the kernel build that i missed then I'm 80%
    convinced that NFS or one of its components is broken in the mdk 2006
    release or something in the 2.6.14-2 kernel is bad or not set right.
    BTW I tried Fugtrucks idea just to be sure, same result. I have tried about
    every combination of IP and hostname there is - same result.
    If NFs had better error messafges it might let me solve this. The only step
    i havnt tried is strac'ing on the server side while i try mounting the nfs
    on the client which could be a bit complicated (what to strace?) but it
    might lead to something which shows the real reason why its being denied
    Thanks
    Eric

+ Reply to Thread